Author Topic: OpenXcom Modsite Portal [Updated 6.27.14]  (Read 43861 times)

Offline Jo5hua

• Colonel
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
OpenXcom Modsite Portal [Updated 6.27.14]
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:09:34 am »
Phase 2 Estimated Development: 5% complete

Phase 2

With most the website done in regards to Phase 1, it's ready for Phase 2 and implementation of new features and bug fixes. There is an existing list to bring the site farther into what we expect a proper mod site to be. Below is a list of features and fixes that are planned for Phase 2 which is already under development.

Note: The website has been upgraded since the release of 1.0, as we've passed 10,000 mod downloads! I can't even believe it. In any case, visitors from all over the world should experience website load times improve exponentially. The website is being hosted in 26 different locations all over the globe. Prior to this, users outside of the United States would experience not so immediate load times. As of now, visitors from all over the world will now experience immediate and fast website load times.

Phase 2 Feature / Bugfix list
  • Fix viewing pages after page 1 when viewing a mod category.
  • Fix mod downloads column alignment.
  • Fix minor firefox bugs in Mod Manager screen (delete images - use chrome for now).
  • Fix minor bug when managing a mod that has transferred ownership.
  • *** Upload remaining 60 some OpenXcom mods not currently on the website
  • Drastic changes to the home page to further display even more showcased mods in the home page. So we will see a lot more mods on the home page.
  • Add ability to write image description
  • Add Author page which will show all mod uploaded by an author.
  • Add reset password function to site login.
  • Add individual changelog to mod download area.
  • Add rating statistics to show how many votes for each star rating.
  • Add Member Account page to edit email and password.
  • Convert links written in mod details to clickable links.
  • New area to show top 100 downloads of all time.
  • New area to show top downloads in last 30 days.
  • New Author Page to show all mods uploaded by each author. Can include mod bio, location, and other information.
  • Add new mod category: Armor, HWP, Mod collection, Total Conversion
  • Finish Moderator Area
  • Add download URL to API link (for a possible mod manager / download app or in game mod viewer).
  • Add Facebook login feature for commenters, raters and modders
  • Terms of Service and Privacy Policy pages

Phase 2 Wish List

Features that *may* go into Phase 2:
  • Add search options to the Mod List page. Such as "View 10 mods at one time" to 20/30/etc.
  • Add sort by rating, sort by downloads, sort by views.
  • Possibility of adding dual view on the main mods list. Currently there is a List View, but I also wanted a Grid view.
  • An area to show Top Authors.

TBA: Phase 3 Wish List

Yes there will be a Phase 3. Especially with TFTD coming in the future.

• Finish full functionality to split mods between XCOM/TFTD - This is already implemented in the database
  • Add "Member Uploaded Images" to mod page, like on Nexus
  • Add Tutorials/Articles area so that members can write modding tutorials which can be found scattered across the internet. A central place with full photo uploading, file upload, and commenting would be super great for this kind of thing.
  • Add new file category "Essentials" to upload sound files, new music, game patches, etc. (?)
  • Editor Picks for mods

OXC-Modsite Link
Luke83's OXC Mod Site

Old Introduction

[Updated 3/13/2014]

Greetings Earth Defenders,

As some of you now know, work has begun on a new modsite. This portal will serve as a mod repository for all OpenXCom mods. Currently mods are distributed via the forum, which makes it difficult to search and view what is available. Luke, WarBoy, Ninex and  a few others have been involved in discussion with creating the brand new centralized site for the modsite portal.

The modsite will be fully featured and you will be able to view "What's Hot" (popular mods), Top Downloaded, Most Popular in the last 30-some Days, and "Editor Picks" (mods selected by the OpenXCom team). Mod authors will have the ability to have a unique area to showcase all of their creations. You will have the ability to add a mod description, name, images (photogallery!), and users will be able to rate, Endorse, comment, on mods - as well as view your mod's Forum Thread. This new system will make it easy for you to search the entire mod repository by mod upload date, rating, endorsement level (people who have tested and played the mod), as well as view comments relating to the mod.

One of the features that has been floating in the air is the ability to view the mods on the modsite IN-GAME. The current idea is that you should be able to view the available mods (compatible with your version - hopefully you are running the latest version), and simply "check" on whatever mod you would like to use. The game will download the mod from the website and add the mod to your game automatically.

Jo5hua
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:21:20 am by Jo5hua »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: OpenXcom MODSITE Portal [UPDATED]
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:31:46 am »
This is great news, this is the direction i always wanted for a Community Mod site but i never had the skills to make the dream a reality, looking forward to seeing the site :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:53:45 pm »
My first thought: it would be cool if each mod had its own version history. This would help the modders access their older versions, which they likely don't have on their HDD (because frankly, who keeps 30 different versions?), and some users might also prefer some older version of a particular mod.

As I see it, each mod should have its own page with: synopsis, pics, download link and less pronounced links to older versions. And a comment section, using Disqus or a similar system.

Another thought: many mods are co-works, for example if they use graphics made by some other person than the one who wrote the ruleset. It would therefore be nice if we could do the same as animemusicvideos.org, where more than one registered user can be listed as the author (and if you go to an author's profile, you'll see all the mods they participated in, not just ones they made themselves).

And yes, this means I want to be able to see all mods of a particular user by going to their profile. :) Said animemusicvideos.org is an excellent exemple.

The system should also use tags, such as [weapon], [craft] etc. The system would be semi-flexible: when uploading, you choose one or several fixed tags, but you can also add your own if need be.

Anyway, it's a wonderful idea. I'll be happy to see this site done, and will gladly contribute!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:59:00 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:54:19 pm »
Sounds good to me :) maybe look at existing sites like https://www.nexusmods.com/ and https://www.moddb.com/ for ideas?

Offline Jo5hua

• Colonel
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 04:44:49 am »
SupSuper: Nice. I've added this to the list of websites I'm looking at for design/flow ideas, and attached the list to the original post. I want to incorporate the best features and design ideas to make the fullest complete Mod Site for OXC.

Solarius Scorch: Great ideas. I'm definitely incorporating a lot of those ideas into the Mod Site. In Minecraft's Bukkit Plugin repository, every user gets their own minisite with description/images/downlaods/everything for each of the mods. In the downloads for the mod, the latest version is usually more prominent with all older versions (with download links and version changelog) also shown somewhere on the side. Of course it would be super easy for the mod author to create and manage all of this. The control panel they will use will be built completely around this.

The comment system I'm still figuring out, definitely can use disqus but may just code one while I'm putting the code together. I will look into animemusicvideos site to see how they do their author system and how it work with the modsite. I was thinking of leaving it to the author to list credits, lots of ideas there..

I've updated the original post to include all the main tags for the site. These tags will be a drop down as well from the main menu. Do you see anything that may be missing?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:39:48 pm by Jo5hua »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 04:57:12 am »
Well I'm a big fan of Disqus, because you don't need to make yet another profile on a new site. But on second thought, you need such an account anyway if you're a modder, so I take it back: let the site have its own user structure, please. (With an option to log via Facebook and similar, which many sites have.)
Good luck! Can't wait for it to happen :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:04:41 am »
I just had a thought that the new website should also have a place for modding resources, not just mods. I mean things like custom sprites, pcks, sounds etc. I feel that mixing them with actual mods (ready to play) wouldn't be very functional, since most people come for the mods, not the resources.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:53 am »
A Top 100 Most Popular/Most Downloaded of all time as Nexus does it.

This would be my focus. It makes things easier when you can just scroll down a top 100 list starting from the most entertaining and useful mods. Then to save some us the time from searching the newly added mess by the hundreds of uploads, we'll find videos like "The top weekly X-COM mods showcase" from the official OXC site and from fans on the YouTube.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:52:39 am »
any updates?

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 10:22:03 pm »
Wow, the site looks good to the eyes. Will www.corelabrat.com/oxc-mods be the official name to the site?

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 05:17:17 am »
maybe you can integrate Fenyo sound page to your site

https://xcom-sounds.atw.hu/

Offline Jo5hua

• Colonel
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 06:28:02 am »
maybe you can integrate Fenyo sound page to your site

https://xcom-sounds.atw.hu/

Sounds like a good idea. The modsite is just the place to have those resources.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:12:41 am by Jo5hua »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom MODSITE Portal [2.26.2014]
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 04:15:22 am »
Nice choice of colors and fonts!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 03:32:37 pm »
Yeah, I really like the colour scheme. It's uncommon, but pleasant.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 05:31:18 am »
Nice! Although I wonder if you could make the text window dark too, with text appearing as grey. It's a big white light source right now.