aliens

Author Topic: [WEAPON] Minigun 1.8b  (Read 63507 times)

Offline Drako^BB

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON] Minigun
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:23 pm »
Yes, they're not actually used nowadays by troopers. AFAIK they were supposed to by used by infantry to clear landing areas and root out enemy soldiers from cover, but they could never solve the problem with the power supply, which in the 70's - 80's would have to weigh at least 40 kg. Therefore the idea was only realized in fiction, most notably in Predator.

With today's energy storage technology, used in cellular phones and such, this technological barrier is no longer a problem. However, due to the change of war doctrine, nobody is really interested in hand-held miniguns. Hence my minigun, like other gamey miniguns, is a theoretical weapon based on what could have been.

As for putting a minigun on a HWP, it's not a bad idea at all. I think I'll include it in an upgrade, thanks!
(I think I'll stick to the same clip size though, for technical reasons: a different clip size would require a whole new weapon.)

I use it with PowerArmur (  as the name suggests is the power source  ).  So it give  soldier a extra strenght .  Also in  ufo: aftermath  minigun requires a hevy armour  had there have exoskeleton and power source  so troopres could carry it

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 09:40:55 pm »

I use it with PowerArmur (  as the name suggests is the power source  ).  So it give  soldier a extra strenght .  Also in  ufo: aftermath  minigun requires a hevy armour  had there have exoskeleton and power source  so troopres could carry it

Yes, it's a good design, but I didn't want a total overhaul mod just yet :) Therefore I made this little mod with no such armour features in mind.

Offline Drako^BB

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 04:20:51 pm »
Is will be nice that minigun will be require some power armour  or some thing like this in future update :)

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »
Hey, I'm new here.
  I got the new shotgun mod today and it unlock great possibilities for this minigun mod  :D

Using an old trick from Stick Soldiers 2, I increased the rate of fire of the weapon without the long firing sequenced  ;D

Hope this Demo will help, basically I added the shotgun spread to increase rate of fire. Also I mounted it on my experimental SWS/HWP unit.  I think it's funny. Also if anyone has any ideas on how I can fix my sws turret, please let me know  :(

Great mod, keep up the great work

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »
Okay, I admit it's a very intriguing idea to use the shotgun mechanics. I'll certainly check it out, many thanks.

As for the weapon modification... let's see:
  • effectively 50 bullet shots instead of 20,
  • weighs next to nothing,
  • more accuracy,
  • shoots more than twice as fast,
  • okay, has a smaller clip.

I don't want to sound rude, but what on Earth were you thinking? My decisions are not always right of course, but do you think the original minigun was that much underpowered? What was the reasoning behind this? And why would I ever use rifles or auto-cannons?

Stats aside, I'll certainly use your files when I'm ready to make my own minigun HWP. Thanks!

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 05:02:40 pm »
 ;) Hee-hee, I like miniguns. I'm known as a Fox Gunner is some parts,

as for the stats, experimental, just to see how much I could destroy, terrain and enemy wise. It should also be noted that using the stats I posted, I had the following failures:
- Emptied entire payload into Cyber Disk or Sectopod= NOTHING!!!!
- Failure to damage  most buildings except for wood, doors, gas pumps, and shelves.
- Reapers and Snakeman onwards take some effort.
- Massive collateral damage to civilians in terror site, not ideal for XCOM PR....
- Friendly fire issues, some tactical positioning required  for covering fire.
- HWP ran out of ammo during long engagements

So, if you think about it, you'll always need Rifles for more accurate surgical shots, auto cannons for heavy duty destruction and burning....
My main team always has Rifles,smgs, rockets, laws, sniper rifle, auto and heavy cannons, pistols and one minigunner. Guess now a shotgun can be issued too  :) Eitherway, it's a great mod. I'll admit, I think I'm having too much fun mowing down groups of Sectoids and floaters  ;D 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:15:44 pm by Fox105iwsp »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »
Ah yes, I see what you mean now. :) I might adjust the weapon a little, but not to this extent :) I might give it more accuracy, but first I need to check how it'll work with the shotgun mechanics (and I'm kinda doing something else now).
A new version will come when I do the tank anyway.

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 05:37:41 pm »
It's okay, but I think accuracy is out when using the shotgun script  :-\

Also, I was doing research for a lineup of miniguns:
- a lightweight low power model for rookies and girls (Using the Doom chaingun sprites)
- High Ranking officer use General purpose Minigun (Probably just use yours  :) )
- Gauss Minigun for mid or late -game, because I want to reintroduce the TFTD Gauss lineup  :D
- Laser and Plasma Gatlings for max firepower in late game

But I doubt Laser and Plasma can use the script, so they'll just be 5 to 7 round Bursts with more accuracy then projectile gatlings.
Still, only if I have the time, I can't figure out the SWS turret yet either  :(

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 11:51:05 pm »
shotgun physics will work with any damage type, as long as the blast radius is 0, but the accuracy drops by 5% for each additional bullet (so when firing 5 pellets, one will be at normal accuracy, one will be at -5, one will be at -10 and so on) i'd say your best bet here is to increase the bullet SPEED. setting it to around 32 will cause it to fly at supersonic speed, and the autoshot will be over in about 2 seconds, without sacrificing accuracy. setting it to 1000 will basically cause instant hits, although they'll be successive rather than simultaneous, which i think is what you're looking for.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 12:12:40 am »
Thanks Warboy, this is valuable info. I'm still considering the other option just for general destructiveness of the environment, but I guess we'll have this with consecutive fire too.

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 02:25:01 am »
Yeah, thanks warboy, that is good info to have  :) is the line code simply bullet speed?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 02:29:25 am »

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 02:33:19 am »
I see, thanks a lot for the info and a great shot gun mod Colonel  :D

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 06:27:05 am »
i've put my own spin on this weapon (pun definitely intended)
see what you think.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 09:46:14 pm »
i've put my own spin on this weapon (pun definitely intended)
see what you think.

Ah, you did what I was supposed to do :) Thanks :)
From the ruleset, I like it, though I didn't have the chance to try it out. Still, I see what you did there.
Nevertheless, I'll keep the old weight and firepower. It's really not too heavy to use, you just need a big girl - okay, or a big guy - to carry it... :) And I think 20 shots will stay. But seeing how many people want a similar, but lighter weapon, I think I'll try and make it.
Now I need to do the tank... Probably over the weekend... Then I'll update the mod.

EDIT: Saw the sprites update. You are too good for us.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:01:24 pm by Solarius Scorch »