aliens

Author Topic: [WEAPON] Minigun 1.8b  (Read 63097 times)

The_Funktasm

Re: [WEAPON] Minigun 1.8b
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2018, 03:32:40 pm »
Personally, I see how it's almost superfluous, but it does fit in well with later game full powersuit scenarios. I guess it's a YMMV thing.

I guess an alternate example/reason would be the Doom chaingun, and other similar weapons. It's a sorta not-AR or not-SMG for people that want to be specifically non-standard like I guess 90's style or something.

In my particular case I kinda wanted to have a visual distinction between calibers of miniguns.

Shorter would kinda imply it's dismounted from a smaller vehicle than the larger sprites would. I have seen a helicopter mounted minigun in person and they are scary-long. I believe many are .308 but smaller vehicles get 5.56 sometimes, like humvees? I may need to find better webpages for resources if not...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:47:52 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2018, 03:55:12 pm »
Personally, I see how it's almost superfluous, but it does fit in well with later game full powersuit scenarios. I guess it's a YMMV thing.

I guess an alternate example/reason would be the Doom chaingun, and other similar weapons. It's a sorta not-AR or not-SMG for people that want to be specifically non-standard like I guess 90's style or something.

In my particular case I kinda wanted to have a visual distinction between calibers of miniguns.

Oh, the Doom chaingun has been one years ago, first in Piratez, then ported to X-Com Files... So no need to do much, just remove any OXCE features from the ruleset.

Shorter would kinda imply it's dismounted from a smaller vehicle than the larger sprites would. I have seen a helicopter mounted minigun in person and they are scary-long. I believe many are .308 but smaller vehicles get 5.56 sometimes, like humvees? I may need to find better webpages for resources if not...

Wait... Are we talking craft weapons now?

The_Funktasm

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2018, 04:09:08 pm »
Oh, the Doom chaingun has been one years ago, first in Piratez, then ported to X-Com Files... So no need to do much, just remove any OXCE features from the ruleset.

Wait... Are we talking craft weapons now?

Not so much craft weapons as much as smaller (jeep, truck) level coaxials (turrets and mounted weapons) that powersuits could wield as in-hand weapons. I am fairly certain that .308 miniguns are more a helicopter thing and the 5.56 ones are more a truck/technical thing. Could be wrong.

Another example: http://www.emptyshell.us/xm556-microgun/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:11:53 pm by The_Funktasm »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2018, 11:30:09 pm »
Sure, I guess. Though the sprite size is, sadly, limited.

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2022, 03:08:19 am »
This is my very first project for Open X-Com: a simple weapon mod in the vein of Ryskeliini's works.

It adds a minigun, a human weapon that has a shocking 20 bullet autoshot. While this number may seem totally off the scale, the weapon isn't really overpowered, as the bullets are weak and rather inaccurate; plus the entire thing is heavy and cumbersome as hell. Still, it is fun to mow down trees with hail of ammo, so I hope at least some of you will like it. Also contains a big ammo pack.

Please allow me to inquire, how were you able to encode the ability to display the projectile firing animation quickly by a scatter laser?  So far, the items_XCOMFILES.rul only contains a definition for STR_SCATTER_LASER that looks too generic.  That is, it looks like a definition for an ordinary machine gun.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2022, 04:51:44 pm »
Please allow me to inquire, how were you able to encode the ability to display the projectile firing animation quickly by a scatter laser?  So far, the items_XCOMFILES.rul only contains a definition for STR_SCATTER_LASER that looks too generic.  That is, it looks like a definition for an ordinary machine gun.

Very simple:

Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_SCATTER_LASER
    bulletSpeed: 50