Author Topic: Does the code take smoke into account for hit calculations?  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Quixote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Does the code take smoke into account for hit calculations?
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:40:42 pm »
Just wondering, as the player only gets displayed a set percentage number when selecting the type of shot, is that further modified depending on the condition of the actual target tile - for example if there is smoke?

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Does the code take smoke into account for hit calculations?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 02:18:30 pm »
I haven't looked at accuracy code before, but I have noticed there is an advanced option that takes more factors into account when aiming. That might be what you are looking for regarding added challenge.

Offline Quixote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:14:36 pm »
I haven't looked at accuracy code before, but I have noticed there is an advanced option that takes more factors into account when aiming. That might be what you are looking for regarding added challenge.

I did play with that for a while, but it didn't seem to work well for me, so toggled it off. My question was about the game at regular settings..

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:22:37 pm »
I think smoke only affects the direct line-of-sight of each unit, which is "only" needed for discovering a unit or getting reaction shots (it's all-or-nothing: either you see the enemy, or you don't). The original AI only shoots units that it's currently seeing. Smoke is very useful as conceilment.

Not sure about cover, but I think it does make the shot more difficult to succeed. If the shot is not successful, the random variation can make the bullet go in very random direction, completely unrelated to the exact cover. So even fragile cover (bush) is very powerful, because it will not very often get hit by the shots that aimed at the covered unit.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:50:30 pm »
In vanilla, smoke only affects visibility, not accuracy (dunno about the range-based accuracy option).

The accuracy shown in the menu only indicates the base deviation of the shot (based on weapon+soldier accuracy). The shot will still be affected by cover/distance/etc, which isn't part of the accuracy (unlike in new XCOM).

Offline Quixote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:16:17 am »
So, about cover.. I always assumed that it played no part in the chance to hit, but that if it physically blocks the shot, obviously the guy behind it won't get hit. So a shot that deviates a bit down can hit a stone wall instead of the target's legs.

Is that correct?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 04:57:58 pm »
Exactly. I mean it would be great to have hard and soft cover - where bush is soft cover and a concrete wall is hard cover. Soft cover protects less efficiently, but doesn't get destroyed by shots as easily. Still, this is not the case in X-Com.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:49 pm »
Not sure about cover, but I think it does make the shot more difficult to succeed. If the shot is not successful, the random variation can make the bullet go in very random direction, completely unrelated to the exact cover. So even fragile cover (bush) is very powerful, because it will not very often get hit by the shots that aimed at the covered unit.

So, about cover.. I always assumed that it played no part in the chance to hit, but that if it physically blocks the shot, obviously the guy behind it won't get hit. So a shot that deviates a bit down can hit a stone wall instead of the target's legs.

Is that correct?

Cover is almost not affect on chance to hit in default shooting mode and in UFOExtender accuracy mode.
But any cover worked very well in Range-based accuracy mode.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:20:25 pm »
Old Xcom and new Xcom use cover completely different... :\