aliens

Author Topic: Disaster strikes - Power Suit vs stun rod?  (Read 5879 times)

Offline Quixote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Disaster strikes - Power Suit vs stun rod?
« on: January 19, 2014, 02:16:56 pm »
I had a tragedy last night... whole squad of veteran soldiers wiped out. Some of them with multiple "purple hearts" (I add a * to the soldier name after each time they get wounded and recover).

The reason for this tragedy was alien mind control of my rocket launcher guy. I had the whole squad jump him immediately, bashing away with stun rods, but the guy didn't go down. Next round, he went berserk with his rocket launcher, my whole squad lined up around him like fish in a barrel. RIP.

So, I'm wondering why he didn't get stunned after 4-5 stun rod attacks?

In the power suit description, it confusingly says "Incendary 0% Stun 80%". I take this to mean that the power suit gives full protection against incendary ammunition, and 20% protection against stun. So, there should still have been a chance to knock the rocket launcher guy down with the rods.

Was I just unlucky, or did I misunderstand the power suit? Does it give immunity against stun rods?

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Disaster strikes - Power Suit vs stun rod?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:18:21 pm »
I think armour can mitigate stun damage so yes you get the 20% resistance (or take 80% damage) but it has to get past the armour first so if you need to beat the armour first. Pretty hard with stun rods as even hitting the rear of power armour is a tough hit.

Stun rod does 65 stun damage which in OpenXCom can do between 50-150% of that so that is up to 97.5 and as low as 32.5. Power armour has the 20% resistance so then the stun rod dmg range becomes 26-78, Power Armour rear armour is 70 so even with a max damage stun rod attack it's only going to do 8 stun damage, and even worse is that stun damage won't damage the armour it means successive attacks won't do any more damage.

What you can do instead is try and shoot the guy once or twice and then try and stun him, the lower health (assuming you did some damage to his health (i.e. the armour didn't absorb all the damage)) will make it easier to stun as well as reducing some of the armour to make stun attacks more effective.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 03:26:22 pm »
it does between 0-200% of the listed damage rating, which is then modified by the damage resistance vs the damage type, then reduced by the overall protection on the side of the unit the damage is coming from.

so in the case of stun rod v power suit, the formula is as follows:

damage = ( x * 0.8 ) - y

where x is a random number between 0 and 130, and y is either 100, 80 or 70, depending if he is hit from the front, side or back respectively.

given that the maximum damage is 104 (after we apply the *0.8 modifier) and the minimum armor resistance is 70, approximately 67% of stun attacks from behind will have no effect whatsoever. if this is applied to the front armor, this value increases to about 97%

Offline Quixote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 03:40:33 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, next time this happens I won't do the same thing :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:53:01 pm »
In OpenXCom, your psi wielders can re-take control of your own units. Victims of alien mind control are guaranteed to have low Psi power, so it's very likely to succeed.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:05:46 pm »
it does between 0-200% of the listed damage rating, which is then modified by the damage resistance vs the damage type, then reduced by the overall protection on the side of the unit the damage is coming from.

Wait what, I'm sure I heard someone say that OXC changed it so it's 50-150% like explosions, but your more likely to be right then I am, still either way gonna take a lot of stun rod attacks to stun someone in power armour.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:42:23 am »
it's 50-150% for small launchers, perhaps you're getting confused with those?

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 01:37:49 am »
No I think I was just mis-informed somewhere. Like I thought it was a balance change or something, perhaps I dreamed it