Author Topic: UFO2000 Needs Players  (Read 49351 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: UFO2000 Needs Players
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2015, 01:57:11 pm »
Regarding that Question: I recommend not using mine, as long as the official one is working. Tomorrow, I think, I'll turn off my home server, as it isn't really needed atm. Deviding into various places only decreases chance to find other players. So that'd be counter productive. However, if the official may stop working, just pm me, and I'll see what I can do. (And then don't forget to tell serge, too, so that he has a chance of fixing the problem...)

I couldn't find JStank because I was using an older beta. The server will only list available players which have the same beta version as you.

@serge: neither me or JStank could get the soundtrack to work on the latest beta, despite going over the definitions on the ufo2000.ini file. I was using an older (0.7.1086.) and the soundtrack works with that one. I'm using Windows 7.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:05:27 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2015, 07:56:02 pm »
Thanks for the play through hobbes.

UFO 2000 JSTANK VS Hobbes Round 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyF7ZmTRKw&feature=youtu.be

I should have recorded so I could see the opponents moves but I didn't realize that's what that did.

we got three rounds in and it was alot of fun!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2015, 08:16:48 pm »
Thanks for the play through hobbes.

UFO 2000 JSTANK VS Hobbes Round 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyF7ZmTRKw&feature=youtu.be

I should have recorded so I could see the opponents moves but I didn't realize that's what that did.

we got three rounds in and it was alot of fun!
Thanks for posting, I love to see fights from my adversary perspective. :)

I should have saved the replay and sent to you, it would be very interesting to show both sides during a battle.

A few things that you mentioned in the video:
* The smoke mechanic is the same (blocks Line of Sight for units) but the Smoke Grenades last longer
* You can customize everything with units: appearance, armor, stats and equipment. All those cost points though.
* The numbers on the list of your units are: TUs, Health, and the Armor (Front, Sides, Back, Underneath)
* Armor works different from the OG: each hit reduces armor on the section where it hits, when the armor is gone it then starts reducing health.
* You can set timers for each player's turn. I didn't bother with it since it was the first time you played.
* There's an option to use the old XCom graphics (UI, smoke, etc.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:18:33 pm by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 12:55:47 pm »
Is it possible to play this from linux? Because i wanna play against a human opponent so badly.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 01:41:22 pm »
The smoke effect/animation in UFO2000 is so much better than in OpenXcom... I'd love to have it in OXC too. The default XCOM/OXC smoke is making me dizzy after only 1 minute looking at it.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 01:48:35 pm »
This stuff looks like a ton of fun. ;)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2015, 02:49:09 pm »
Is it possible to play this from linux? Because i wanna play against a human opponent so badly.

IIRC, yes, but I have no idea how. I think you may need to compile a linux version yourself.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 08:34:10 pm »
In principle, yes. I'm still stuck with the error, I recently posted here. Have to look into my notes, how I compiled that stuff, though.
This stuff looks like a ton of fun. ;)
You have no idea! Forget about ego-shooters. There's nothing more blood pumping, than an ufo2000-match, when it's your opponent's turn and you are already at a disadvantage. Will he see that soldier, or not? Will he hit a third time, killing the soldier? YES, he missed! NOOOO he has another one with TUs left... These feelings really kicks ass. ;D And of course this WTF?!?-Moment, when you realize, what he actually did, and how screwed you are.
I think you may need to compile a linux version yourself.
The compiling part worked out (although being a litte bit tricky) at my side, but as said before: Having trouble, actually running it.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2015, 10:16:47 pm »
Well i managed to compile it and did set up the game, resolution etc.. and of course the Squad.
I even managed to exactly use the 15000 Points that were there *lol*

So who is now going to challenge me? I am on IRC (freenode #openxcom) so come by and kick my ass!

Version nr is ufo2000-0.9.1176
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:19:34 pm by hellrazor »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2015, 10:26:38 pm »
Well i managed to compile it and did set up the game, resolution etc.. and of course the Squad.
Wanna share the way, how you did the compilation? As for gaming: Just got home after a week of absence, having a lot of catching up to do. Another time, most certainly. =)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2015, 10:28:34 pm »
Wanna share the way, how you did the compilation? As for gaming: Just got home after a week of absence, having a lot of catching up to do. Another time, most certainly. =)

Oh well just extracted the tar.gz
cd into dir and "make" got a msg that lib allegro was missing installed and after that compilation was running thrue :)
UFOpaedia has some articles on this just google.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2015, 10:30:10 pm »
Well, I did it very similiarly to your way (I took the version from the svn-repo), with the effect, that it doesn't start. :o I'll try the tgz...

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2015, 10:33:48 pm »
Well, I did it very similiarly to your way (I took the version from the svn-repo), with the effect, that it doesn't start. :o I'll try the tgz...

I guess it is better with the tar.gz because we will have the same Version.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2015, 10:35:41 pm »
I now remember, that I already tried that: Doesn't even compile. It doesn't seem to find a versioned folder, or something (only got a german error-message...).

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 10:38:25 pm »
I now remember, that I already tried that: Doesn't even compile. It doesn't seem to find a versioned folder, or something (only got a german error-message...).

You got builttools installed ? and you need libs. https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242025301