Author Topic: Uppercase accents (French, and probably other languages)  (Read 4471 times)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Uppercase accents (French, and probably other languages)
« on: December 26, 2013, 07:04:48 pm »
I really don't like the accented characters that have a different height than their non-accented counterpart.
Linguistically, accents should be kept in uppercase French, but it's very common to skip them (Most people think that it's an error to keep them) Especially when there is not much room, like in game that plays in 320x200.

Here are 2 rather obvious cases :

(dégâts, équipage, équipement)

(énergétique, fumée)

Here I've tested reducing the entire fonts to match the accents' sizes :

The words look much better. But I can't say it's overall better, because the originals looked... well, bolder. I attach the font files to this post, in case somebody wants to see for himself.

I think I'm going with a 2nd option : to keep copies of the fonts that replace the accented uppercase vowels with their non-accented version.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Uppercase accents (French, and probably other languages)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:01:57 pm »
There's a typo in that power armor article. It says "and amplifie". Also, this looks nice, but I think it belongs to the mod section.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 11:24:16 pm »
Also, if you're going to fix one, fix 'em all, not just the accented characters that are exclusive to your language. That goes for russian and greek characters too. I was surprised to find out you missed the Ç, which is actually used in french.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 11:25:23 pm »
I have also seen that, and yes i do prefer this version since the characters remain the same size and the "tilda" or accent is above the letter, however i would prefer it, if the tilda was like 1 or 2 pixels higher to separate it from the character.

But i like it a lot and unless you convince Sup i agree with Hyth it needs to go to the mod section.