Author Topic: MUST HAVE list by a die-hard fan  (Read 12170 times)

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
MUST HAVE list by a die-hard fan
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:38:55 pm »
Hi all, just stumbled to this place.   Wanted to contribute to this promising "new" game.
I'll be concise.

Must-haves:
1. Automatic equip soldiers according to their last mission or have some sort of save (both XcomUTIL and Xcom-extender FAILED TO DO)
2. Please make the Superhuman level work 100%.  So far, no mods, no utilies, nothing has made Superhuman level work 100%.  (unless you count hacking)
3. ALL the original dying screams for each alien race that are already in the game. (but not all used)
4. The PSX midi music instead of the PC music.  (it's the same music just way better quality)  If you want I can send you the files.
5. Range-based, sight-based accuracy modifier.   (funny how your accuracy is the same even if the alien is miles away and out of your sight)
6. Show if the soldier is encumbered by weight during THE EQUIP SCREEN.  (or just show strength and weight total)
7. Crafts should not have to refit and repair 100% to return to the air.
8. Land missions from X-Com2.  (I'm sure it won't be ALOT of work to include more mission types and graphics just by plucking them from TFTD)
9. Increase item limits of crafts.  Or at least for the Avenger.

Hope-lists:
2. Please make the battlescape BIGGER for large ufos.  It's ridiculous the ufo is always next to you because .... there is not enough space.
3. Better graphics in bigger resolution (like Extender HQ4x or Dosbox multiplying graphic options)
4. Numbers that can be edited (such as assigning number of scientists and manufacturing a certain number of goods)

P.S.  I pray to God this game gets finished and polished before I die.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:01:55 pm by hellblade »

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: MUST HAVE list by a die-hard fan
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 07:57:38 pm »
2. Please make the Superhuman level work 100%.  So far, no mods, no utilies, nothing has made Superhuman level work 100%.  (unless you count hacking)
How do you know when it's "working"?

4. The PSX midi music instead of the PC music.  (it's the same music just way better quality)  If you want I can send you the files.
Whatever you're preference in music, mute the in-game music and use a media player :-)

I think I like this idea, I often got frustated when the world was being invaded and I couldn't launch any crafts.

2. Please make the battlescape BIGGER for large ufos.  It's ridiculous the ufo is always next to you because .... there is not enough space.
Meh, I played TFTD and Apoc... You can spend HOURS searching for 1 remaining alien, Apoc especially with it's numerous floors.

4. Numbers that can be edited (such as assigning number of scientists and manufacturing a certain number of goods)
I don't understand this one, you can already choose the number of scientists and mechanics to jobs?

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:17:22 pm »
Sorry, let me clarify.
2. Superhuman level work 100%
I have no idea actually, because I haven't gone through the programming.
BUT at the very least.  Number of aliens in ships AND alien statistics should be at Superhuman level.

4. PSX music
Agreed :)

2. Bigger battlescape
Yes, for TFTD and Apoc.  But I don't think the alien has much space to hide in X-Com1 "open areas".

4. Numbers that can be edited
Sorry about this one.  If it's already implemented.
As i said I just stumbled into this place.  I'm actually trying it out as we speak :)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:33:42 pm »
Seems like a reasonable wish-list, not too crazy stuff :)

@pmprog : I think he means you can edit the numbers by clicking on them and entering numbers instead of having to press the arrows up/down all the time?

And for the two other points on your hopelist:
- bigger battlescapes: probably will be just editable in the rule configuration files, so you can do whatever you want with this.
@pmprog : I think there are means to avoid the remaining alien search: as simple as letting the screen center on the aliens position at the end of the alien turn to give you a hint where he is. (no complex programming needed for that :)
- better graphics is something I'm working on in my free time (project named XComHD). It's all redrawn graphics, 3x and 4x original resolution.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:18:07 am »
Hi all, just stumbled to this place.   Wanted to contribute to this promising "new" game.
I'll be concise.

Must-haves:
1. Automatic equip soldiers according to their last mission or have some sort of save (both XcomUTIL and Xcom-extender FAILED TO DO)
2. Please make the Superhuman level work 100%.  So far, no mods, no utilies, nothing has made Superhuman level work 100%.  (unless you count hacking)
3. ALL the original dying screams for each alien race that are already in the game. (but not all used)
4. The PSX midi music instead of the PC music.  (it's the same music just way better quality)  If you want I can send you the files.
5. Range-based, sight-based accuracy modifier.   (funny how your accuracy is the same even if the alien is miles away and out of your sight)
6. Show if the soldier is encumbered by weight during THE EQUIP SCREEN.  (or just show strength and weight total)
8. Land missions from X-Com2.  (I'm sure it won't be ALOT of work to include more mission types and graphics just by plucking them from TFTD)
9. Increase item limits of crafts.  Or at least for the Avenger.
1. Planned.
2. Planned.
3.4. Already in (The game uses whatever resources you give it, so you can just put in DOS sounds and PSX music (which isn't MIDI) and it'll work).
5. Will keep it in mind.
6. Will keep it in mind.
7. Planned.
8. Planned.
9. Already in.

I'll keep your hope-lists in mind too. :)

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:23:20 am »
@ Supsuper

Forgot to mention, the Range-based accuracy modifier is actually by Seb76.

Seb76 did this quite easily.  Just by deducting 2% from each tile the bullet travels.

Also, the accuracy is shown ON THE MOUSE CURSOR, so you know shooting what tile has what accuracy.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:17:25 am »
hellblade,
The way I was thinking to implement firing accuracy, is to use a "normal distribution" random number generation in terms of the deviation in angle on the perfect firing path.
Say, we have a 68% firing accuracy, this means that 68% of the shots will be on the perfect firing path or within a margin of for example 1 degree.
(perfect firing path: the line between the gun and the center of the alien)

The other 32% will be a normal distribution of angles that are above that margin.
Note that this calculation is done for both horizontal and vertical angle.

This automatically concludes that how further away the alien, that you already can miss the target with even a deviation of 2 degrees. If the alien is directly in front of you, you almost have to got a deviation of 45 degrees to miss him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 06:48:53 pm »
@Daiky

Agreed.  That's the most accurate way to do the math.  But is the equation too complicated to program?  I've forgotten most of my maths.

On a side note:
 :-\  As an actuary, I should be ashamed to ask such a dumb question.  All thanks to my job having nothing to do with maths.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:51:06 pm by hellblade »

Offline bramcor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:13:05 pm »
Daiky:

I am just wondering here - it probably has little to no effect on practical results and I have no clue how to make it happen, but:

Would using normal distribution on two axis not "look like" a diamond shaped probability distribution with a corner in each direction on both axis if you imagine seeing it from the solider's point of view?

I just thought to myself that a circular probability distribution seem more "correct" but my gut response is that the practical difference in results is too limited to warrant the difficulty of making it any different.

What are your thoughts?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 11:28:03 pm »
hmm, does it create a diamond? Well, I have used this method before and don't think the difference between a circular and diamond shaped distribution area is something that is noticable in this type of game. I never did anyway :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 12:04:50 am »
Would using normal distribution on two axis not "look like" a diamond shaped probability distribution with a corner in each direction on both axis if you imagine seeing it from the solider's point of view?
im not 100% sure (i never like probability :> ) but normal distribution (aka Gaussian distribution) have density function similar to f(x) = e^(-x^2) and when we get 2 independents probability for OX and OY we get  density function  f(x,y) =  e^(-x^2) * e^(-y^2) = e^(-x^2-y^2) = e^-(r^2) where r is distance from center. this mean its have shape of circle.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:08:05 am »
I found a visiualisation of gaussian distribution over 2 dimensions, and it looks like a circle: https://nklein.com/2009/08/casting-to-integers-considered-harmful/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:09:36 am by Daiky »

Volutar

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 02:17:26 pm »
It was ridiculous when target was right in front of your unit and he just got missed 2 of 3 shots.
This Gaussian distribution should be applied like a cone from fire point to target tile, and it will be a sort of "range based accuracy".
100% = Ideal target vector going straight to the center of targeted enemy chest. And for example, 99% will be 0.5
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:57:05 pm by Volutar »

Offline Zyxpsilon

• Sergeant
  • Here, Today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »
3. Better graphics in bigger resolution (like Extender HQ4x or Dosbox multiplying graphic options)
P.S.  I pray to God this game gets finished and polished before I die.

While you're at the altar of an almighty Hope... you might as well try keeping track of eventual HD stuff in the new "Contributions" section thread.
MUCH more to come - soon.
 ;D

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:57:43 pm »
While you're at the altar of an almighty Hope... you might as well try keeping track of eventual HD stuff in the new "Contributions" section thread.
MUCH more to come - soon.
 ;D

lol, i'll look forward to that

just thought that ,  since "multiplying graphics" aren't actually new graphics , it would be easy to implement.
They just sorta ... blurs squares into higher resolutions ... sorta like anti-alias