aliens

Author Topic: Inventory Access.  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Inventory Access.
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:19:00 pm »
at current any unit that is A) larger than 1x1 or B) marked as a terrorist has the inventory locked out.
this is fine. But... we have two states of access. Available and Locked out.

Can we have a third - limited inventory access - that allows a unit to equip during prebattle and then locks?

I was playing around with the rulesets and found a situation where at the pre battle equip, a 2x2 HWP had access to the inventory. Inventory for this unit was locked again when the battle started. (the problem is this can't be done under normal circumstances, this was probably some kind of bug.)
But. This i thought... was interesting. So i restarted the battle and loaded this Cannon tank with a rocket launcher...
Tank w/cannon + rocket = yay!
what else can i do? add reloads? as it happens... yes. tanks *can* reload. given they have the relevant ammo somewhere in the inventory. even without inventory access, the R key still reloaded a fresh rocket into the tank. so...
Tank w/cannon + secondary weapon = tactical weapon platform??
they can also prime and throw a grenade, use a stun rod, use a medkit, mindprobe, scanner.
is this exploitable? Probably! but... since you can only access the inventory ONCE at the pre battle equip. you can't change weapons or drop/swap equipment. so I would argue that it makes it fair...
you could have a HWP with a secondary rocket launcher, or a co-ax rapid fire weapon, a smoke launcher system, a scanner, grenade launcher, onboard med station.
and thats just the vanilla stuff.

it wouldn't be hard to make a mod that gives us a blank HWP that you choose which main weapon to give it. instead of 5 different HWPS you could ...build your own HWP just by manufacturing the chassis you want and the weapon you like.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Inventory Access.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:30:14 am »
interesting and worth pursuing, I'd say :)

I would like to suggest a fourth "state of access": inventory without floor access

The main problem with 2x2 units and inventory access is that the game wouldn't know which floor tile to access - or perhaps all of them? and if you drop something, which tile would it end up in? so I'd vote for having units that can access their own inventory (a kind of "storage bay"), but no access to the "floor". this way you could have tanks with multiple ammo feeds (represented by "clips" that can be exchanged), or possibly swappable weapon systems.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:27:44 pm »
I think is good idea, but probably will require small change in inventory screen like remove all slots except L&R hand and backpack.
This will be useful for Chiko mech concept: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,374.msg2981.html#msg2981

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:24:16 pm »
you wouldn't need to change the inventory, since the units only have access to it *before battle* After that they are locked out. this makes it so they can set up weapons but *can't change/swap/pickup/drop during battle*

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »
Still leaves us with the issue of tanks throwing grenades, firing rifles, handling stun rods. It can be head-canoned away as a launcher, or some kind of rigging, but most people would probably assume it's a bug...

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:15:47 am »
True, doesn't make much sense, and the only way to really fix it would be to implement some sort of weapon restriction. As in, at the pre-equip screen, trying to put a Rifle on a HWP would give the error "Weapon incompatible with this unit!" or something. Also, I don't think HWP ammo is currently usable as a Battlescape item, but that could be very easily changed.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:09 pm »
Seeing as a human weapon is extremely unlikely to be usable by just fixing it to a HWP with some barbwire :), I'd just limit this feature to interchangeable turrets. However, I'm also all for secondary weapon systems, or even medikits (medical droids FTW!).

As a sort-of-related afterthought, I've always wanted massive, 2x2 power armours to be used by X-Com. I think these would have to have access to inventory, so it would bring back all the problems discussed here... I think they would have access to all 4 tiles, as this seems most intuitive to me.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 08:05:18 pm »
on the other hand, do you really think a soldier in a massive bulky power armor "mech" would be able to bend down and pick something up? :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »
Well... by.... kneeling... I guess? :) I'm not sure, but such armour would have to be relatively nimble to be useful (think Sectopod).