aliens

Author Topic: weapons that can only be used by certain soldiers?  (Read 4777 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
weapons that can only be used by certain soldiers?
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:31:04 pm »
the blaster launcher got me thinking about how these super-advanced weapons are being wielded. I guess none of us thinks that they have a keyboard where you input waypoints as spatial coordinate triplets, right? ("fly to 3/10/2, then go up to 3/10/5, over to 15/11/5 and then down to 15/11/0 to smack that muton on the head")

so, how do they work? my best guess is that the weapon either uses some kind of augmented reality goggles where you look at the waypoints, or that it somehow uses a psionic interface, projecting a 3D map into your head and you simply think the waypoints into the map.

so, to reach my suggestion: would it be possible to make a weapon only available to soldiers with a certain stat minimum?

the obvious thing would be to have super-advanced weapons only usable by units with at least basic psi training... the Psi-Amp already works that way, but that's hardcoded via the "battletype", right? another interesting use would be to have heavy weapons only usable by high-strength units, so your weakling rookie couldn't run around with a Heavy Plasma on his first mission. or, for total-conversion-RPG-type-games, you would have an easy way to implement weapon classes that can only be used once the appropriate skill has been trained ;)

(you could also add "weapons" that can only be used by soldiers with a certain rank... a "call airstrike" radio device, for example...)

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: weapons that can only be used by certain soldiers?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:06:30 am »
Well, just be careful so it doesn't conflict too much with the existing variety of aliens. Heavy weapons are all well and good at the time you're fighting Mutons, but Sectoids are going to have to deal with that stuff too. And the inverse for psionic abilities...

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:15:29 am »
true... then again, seeing those tiny sectoids with huge guns never made much sense to me, it always felt like the game was cheating. as for the blaster launcher, most of the time they are used by high-ranking aliens anyway, aren't they? so those would be the ones with psi-skill above 0 already :)

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:35:11 pm »
Imo best thing to implement would be seperate skills for each weapon type; Laser Weapons, Ballistic Weapons, Explosives, Plasma Weapons, etc.

It may work like this:

base Firing Accuracy  x  weapon skill  =  final accuracy

So, a soldier with 114 FAcc, 107 Ballistic Weapons skill, taking an Aimed Shot with a Rifle, would have a final accuracy as follows:
114 (FAcc)  x  1.07 (weapon skill)  x  1.10 (Aimed Shot)  =  134

When it comes to newly discovered weapon types, all soldiers will have low starting values for the weapon type's respective skill.
This means switching to Laser or Plasma will require retraining. Weapon skills will increase a lot faster than normal Firing Accuracy since you don't use the same weapons through the entire game.

With an Explosives skill, it could work the same way, having an effect on Throwing Acc, but also reducing timer precision. So if a soldier with 100 Exp skill primes a nade for 3 turns, it'll explode in exactly 3 turns. But if a soldier with 55 Exp skill does the same, there's a 45% chance (100 - 55) it won't detonate in the turn value specified. It won't be a radical offset, maybe from 3 to 1 or to 5 or something. With this, there's the added danger of a grenade being primed for 2 turns and instead exploding instantly.

This should probably be done in mod form, as it'd change the main game far too much.

EDIT: When I say "soldiers" I mean not just X-COM soldiers, but aliens as well; ergo not all aliens would actively throw grenades, not all aliens would 'snipe', etc, as a result of their lower respective skill level.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:46:11 am by Qpoter »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:39:28 am »
that would be even nicer, having the possibility of a true skill system :)

but I would still like to have the possibility of denying the use of certain items to the psi-untrained... :)

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:37 am »
We still don't really "know" which weapons would be valid for that restriction. We haven't a clue how the Blaster Launcher really operates, we can only infer.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:45:09 am »
well, I'm not saying it should be in vanilla. but for modding it would be great ;)

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 03:22:41 am »
Oh, well, yeah, most of the Suggestions category is assumed to be something included in a mod... silly me.