Author Topic: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0  (Read 536388 times)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0
« Reply #345 on: October 02, 2014, 05:16:33 pm »
These are really good! Are you doing the big sprites by hand? I can't get over how more "real" the mod feels with these ufopedia pages.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 02, 2014, 05:30:38 pm »
You know what? I would've chosen that same quote for that Longest Night entry just to make it longer. :P

And yes, this mod really is getting more and more realistic. Just need to fix those erroneous awards! ;)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #347 on: October 02, 2014, 05:36:12 pm »
These are really good! Are you doing the big sprites by hand? I can't get over how more "real" the mod feels with these ufopedia pages.

Sort of by hand. ;)
 Borrowing alot from other medals, and then photoshop /pixlr alterations, recoloring, etc.  (For the medallions).

The ribbons are a matter of enlarging and replicating the existing commendation ribbons, and then trimming them to the "pendant" shape.  Some are definitely more challenging (i.e. Longest Night) where diagonals are involved.  It involved a lot of chopping them up into pieces and mixing and match them.  Once all that is done, I'm applying a slight canvas texturizing filter to the ribbons.  I'm not sure its really noticeable, but it makes me feel like they have more of an "fabric" feel.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #348 on: October 02, 2014, 05:39:10 pm »
You know what? I would've chosen that same quote for that Longest Night entry just to make it longer. :P

And yes, this mod really is getting more and more realistic. Just need to fix those erroneous awards! ;)

I haven't been able to figure out how to add a "hard return" to the extraStrings for the UFOpedia Texts. :|   I think that would help break up the Text Block if I could figure that out.

And some of these quotes are awesome. :)

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 02, 2014, 06:47:15 pm »
I haven't been able to figure out how to add a "hard return" to the extraStrings for the UFOpedia Texts. :|   I think that would help break up the Text Block if I could figure that out.

Try {NEWLINE}
For an example of this load up one of the language files in notepad and look for the Medikit entry. It has several examples of a new line.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #350 on: October 02, 2014, 06:57:57 pm »
Try {NEWLINE}
For an example of this load up one of the language files in notepad and look for the Medikit entry. It has several examples of a new line.

Awesome !  I will!  I thought that there was some entry that had line breaks but I couldn't remember what it was!  I'll test it tonight!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:24 pm »
Indeed, {NEWLINE} will do the trick (don't do like me, writing in lowercase and spending half an hour wondering why it just displays {Newline} instead of working!). Use a pair to change paragraph.

And the fabric texture is totally worth it on the ribbons. You're doing neat work, and a great showcase, for this mod. I'm looking forward to the update.

@Shoes: Since you're already modding the executable, do you think you could add a medal category in the ufopaedia? That would be better than trying to fit these in a random category.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:54:05 pm by Arthanor »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #352 on: October 02, 2014, 07:43:03 pm »
Thanks for the Tips, Arthanor! Awesome! :D

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 02, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »
I like it!!! very nice work

The only thing i would say, do not say how many times you can or the explicit circumstances, try to keep it vague :)
So the user will be like "WOW so this is what they meant" :)

instead of says "the horror of terror missions at night", just say "the horrors of the night"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:37:00 pm by xracer »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 02, 2014, 08:45:48 pm »
@Shoes: Since you're already modding the executable, do you think you could add a medal category in the ufopaedia? That would be better than trying to fit these in a random category.

Yup, I will definitely do that when I get back to this project!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #355 on: October 03, 2014, 06:46:08 am »
OK, some great progress with the descriptions! The double NEWLINE is awesome.  I'm showing one that we featured already and three new ones. :)
I'll also be featuring these in my LP.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 03, 2014, 06:57:23 am »
Neat! Very nice :) Keep up the good work!

Offline cjones

• Captain
  • Happy bug hunting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 04, 2014, 12:16:55 am »
Has anyone tried this with any other mods?  I believe this creates a custom .exe, so prob not compatible?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #358 on: October 04, 2014, 12:48:00 am »
It works with many other mods... just not those that require a custom executable.
I am using my UpClose Modpack with Soldier Diaries, and it works well.  There are some quirks like combat kills with a knife, and some erroneous awards, but its well worth it.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 04, 2014, 02:09:29 pm »
ivandogovich, have you noticed if it's the _same_ awards that keep getting awarded erroneously? For some reason I have in my mind it's "random" awards that get awarded incorrectly.