aliens

Author Topic: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0  (Read 536669 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0
« Reply #930 on: August 11, 2015, 12:26:24 am »
Honestly, I'm not sure I care about all these weird metrics of soldier performance representing "experience" as if it were an rpg. And I generally love numbers!

XCom already has its own form of experience and improvements, which doesn't involve xp points or level ups.

I think seeing "Cumulative kills over time", and kills relative to the squad. Every time you go on a mission, you log 2 numbers: How many aliens you killed, and what % of all the aliens you killed, average that for every month to get the graph in the current monthly format. Maybe also Cumulative and relative hits could be interesting.

Another thing that would be interesting to me is seeing the progression of stats, where you can see the stats of your soldier at the end of every month. It could be done exactly like the current graph, with each line being a different stat, and the total being the sum of all stats and representing the overall quality of your soldier.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 11, 2015, 02:41:06 am »
Honestly, I'm not sure I care about all these weird metrics of soldier performance representing "experience" as if it were an rpg. And I generally love numbers!

XCom already has its own form of experience and improvements, which doesn't involve xp points or level ups.

I think seeing "Cumulative kills over time", and kills relative to the squad. Every time you go on a mission, you log 2 numbers: How many aliens you killed, and what % of all the aliens you killed, average that for every month to get the graph in the current monthly format. Maybe also Cumulative and relative hits could be interesting.

Another thing that would be interesting to me is seeing the progression of stats, where you can see the stats of your soldier at the end of every month. It could be done exactly like the current graph, with each line being a different stat, and the total being the sum of all stats and representing the overall quality of your soldier.

for the first part i'll leave it to shoes. i trust his decisions. any form of stat tracking that shows some cummulative information or cummulative info vs other teammates cummullative info is good.

for the second part graphing would be perfect. you could map anything to anything see progression in time.

i'm guessing most important type of graphing would be soldier tracked variables per time as well as some tracked variables calculations to see individual   performance i n relation to the other teammates  like cummulative kills of this soldier vs all other soldiers per days/months etc.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 11, 2015, 02:44:59 am »
maybe if graphs were ever implemented it would probably two kinds: a predefined team wide graph and a customizable  soldier individualized graph with a drop down of variables tracked / day (or something like that) . graphs optional but nice :)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 11, 2015, 03:23:43 am »
Regarding performance, efficiency and all those other stats: it seems the consensus is simply "more cumulative stats plz". I'll add a few things to the todo list, like overall accuracy, % of kills per mission, perhaps shots fired as well. Those seemed to be in demand the most. Heck, if I am feeling demented, I could add code to track TUs spent...

I've also glossed over the graphing code, and I might be able to work with it. I would imagine each soldier would have it's own graph state (I imagine it would be difficult to have a weird list of toggle-able soldiers on the side that you can click and have their stats added...). I imagine that having things graphed on the X axis as per mission would be more desirable than per month. Perhaps both would be done too. Depending on how easy the graph code is to work with, I might have a list of buttons like "shots fired", "kills", "stuns" as toggle-able buttons for the Y axis too. This would require a lot of new code and probably a fair bit of motivation ;p but I like the idea, so I'll write it down!

Edit: I prefer the forums for discussion, but I have a public gist with my todo list and what not. If I miss things, or if there are things that I've missed or details you would like to add, you can feel free to post there: https://gist.github.com/Shoes01/3af40f402d287ae9c229

Edit 2 : I've updated github with an uncompiled version of the mod. It's entirely untested.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:24:56 am by Shoes »

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 15, 2015, 09:18:55 pm »
Hey shoes, could you or anyone that has an earlier build (circa 7- 22) post it so that people that want to use this mod can just grab it from here? The download site only has 7 - 30 I could not find the earlier build any where. Thanks

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 16, 2015, 01:07:43 am »
https://www.openxcom.com/mod/soldier-diaries-stat-tracking

That mod page has all the releases I've been doing, is that what you're looking for?

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 16, 2015, 01:58:17 am »
damn i was not specific, when i said "Hey shoes, could you or anyone that has an earlier build (circa 7- 22)" I meant "Hey shoes, could you or anyone that has an earlier OXC game build (circa 7- 22)"  the main download site no longer carries anything below 7-31 :) and i just found out that games build around 5-07 are not compatible either :)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 17, 2015, 12:58:17 pm »
I've managed to get some development going on another computer, but I am unable to test the game with it at the moment. So here is an untested version of the mod, to date with the August 11th nightly. I hope it works :3 I have no idea what will happen in TFTD.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234369005/OXC/2015-08-11%20Nightly.zip

niculinux

« Reply #938 on: August 17, 2015, 01:27:53 pm »
I'd take out the "regional medals" ( eg.  North america one) since xcom is an international force, and made those more hard to get :)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 17, 2015, 01:37:03 pm »
I'd take out the "regional medals" ( eg.  North america one) since xcom is an international force, and made those more hard to get :)

Do you mean that it's hard to get it in TFTD because you're not landing in countries anymore? I haven't played TFTD yet so I'm not sure. If you mean that Xcom being an international force should not have country specific medals, I see these commendations as being awarded by those countries themselves to your soldiers.

In the former case, I would have to write code to differentiate which commendations are for which game. Or lazily write two rulesets that are nearly identical and need to be turned on or off depending what game you play ;p I've added it to my list of things to do though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:38:43 pm by Shoes »

niculinux

« Reply #940 on: August 17, 2015, 02:01:45 pm »
If you mean that Xcom being an international force should not have country specific medals [...]

yep i meant that, saving writings a ton of rulesets!

As for the "hardening" my fear is that having them letting be too easy to earn may result in too much of them in the rooster ;) just highlighting the fact taht these should be mote "uniques". :)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 17, 2015, 02:17:33 pm »
I do want to avoid making commendations that all soldiers get, but I have found the regional commendations to be pretty good. This commendation, like the weapons commendation and the xenocide commendation, are mostly supposed to be proofs of service for your soldiers; every soldier should get one at some point, but maybe one will get one for USA, another for Egypt.

niculinux

« Reply #942 on: August 17, 2015, 02:26:51 pm »
I do want to avoid making commendations that all soldiers get, but I have found the regional commendations to be pretty good. This commendation, like the weapons commendation and the xenocide commendation, are mostly supposed to be proofs of service for your soldiers; every soldier should get one at some point, but maybe one will get one for USA, another for Egypt.

whatever will be fine :) hey thank you for the time dedicated to the openxcom cause!

Offline Corsix

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 17, 2015, 06:37:37 pm »
If some companies would think like this community, the world would be a better place to be :-)

Awesome work again. Testing.. erhm, having fun with your August build currently ;-)

By the way.. what is the difference between the Master Exe which is larger then yours for the same build ? 8.145 KB compared to 3.027 KB ? Only the relevant library reading or something else as well ?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:53:41 pm by Corsix »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 17, 2015, 10:47:25 pm »
I think the default openxcom.exe is larger than mine because all the .DLLs are included in it. If you use my .exe, you need to have the DLLs lying around in the folder.

At least that's what I think :D