aliens

Author Topic: Fortification  (Read 8565 times)

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
Fortification
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »
Maybe we could have something like fortifying your bunker with things like maybe having some sandbags (maybe a re-colored/re-textured version of the stone wall from some of the farm levels) in things like the elevator like 1 on each side of each entrance and maybe something similar in the hangar.  and maybe having something like a sentry gun you could buy and carry with soldiers (if it looks like the ones from half life which it style would probably compliment this it could be a folding one that takes up a 1wide 3 tall amount of space) that can be dropped and have a tool with med-kit like code to place/build and repair it.  and maybe it uses auto-cannon ammo and can have a good amount of accuracy for choke-points?  maybe even upgrading it to laser and plasma?  and also having a checkpoint room would be cool too, like something that has a good amount of tactical value to make sure nothing gets in/out thats not supposed too and maybe even a vantage point into hangars and stuff? also if there were things like portable cover (i don't like giving this series credit but i must admit the riot shield in bo2 did have a decent amount of tactical value as cover)  and maybe having laser trip mines in combination with regular ones like setting up a transmitter and reciever? (i know that one is far fetched but would be cool) just a few ideas if anyone wants them!

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Fortification
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:35:12 pm »
Yeah, maybe some defend the house missions where you can have some control over deploying cover...

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:39:25 pm »
I like the sandbag idea, it would actually make a lot of sense to have at least some improvised fortifications in place when the base gets attacked... perhaps even randomly placed, so that the base defense missions have a random element?

as for sentry guns, this is actually possible, in a way. since items can spawn units (afaik), all you needed to create would be a unit which is incapable of movement and looks like a gun on a tripod (or something like that). you would be able to control it once it's placed, and the aliens would attack it as if it were one of your soldiers :) somebody should start creating a mod for this... I don't know how to achieve the part about "incapable of moving, but still able to turn to shoot", but we'll figure something out.

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 07:40:13 pm »
for the part concerning not moving maybe give them only 3 tu and each shot costs 1 tu? (33%) also they should be full auto only and maybe set to 5 shots a burst? just a thought

Yeah, maybe some defend the house missions where you can have some control over deploying cover...

and a home alone like thing in x-com would be hilarious just saying, if not a bit overkill...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:30:30 pm by Camalex97 »

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 02:17:43 pm »
How about a mission where you're trying to save civilians in a house?  A variation on a terror mission but in a total residential area?

Just thinking back to the first laser squad mission...  assassinate sterner regnix....

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »
How about a mission where you're trying to save civilians in a house?  A variation on a terror mission but in a total residential area?

Just thinking back to the first laser squad mission...  assassinate sterner regnix....

do you mean like a VIP or just a bunch of houses, because it would also be nice to see what a sentry gun/turret (if ever even made into a mod) would do, especially if the civilian was on the top floor of that one house with like 3/4 floors and all the rooms, and how it would be so fun to setup a defense in there before an alien grenade kills everyone (in my opinion)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 04:32:05 pm »
Maybe one big house like the original laser squad scenario, and the soldiers have to clear rooms..  yeah, a mansion....  Squad level, urban fighting like in Schtalingrad where the ruskies held the werhmacht at a stalemate...

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 12:21:54 pm »
I like the sandbag idea, it would actually make a lot of sense to have at least some improvised fortifications in place when the base gets attacked... perhaps even randomly placed, so that the base defense missions have a random element?

as for sentry guns, this is actually possible, in a way. since items can spawn units (afaik), all you needed to create would be a unit which is incapable of movement and looks like a gun on a tripod (or something like that). you would be able to control it once it's placed, and the aliens would attack it as if it were one of your soldiers :) somebody should start creating a mod for this... I don't know how to achieve the part about "incapable of moving, but still able to turn to shoot", but we'll figure something out.

For "immobile but can shoot", maybe 1 energy/stamina? Not sure whether turning uses energy.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 02:20:04 pm »
For "immobile but can shoot", maybe 1 energy/stamina? Not sure whether turning uses energy.

that's actually pretty brilliant :) why didn't I think of that?

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 02:38:35 pm »
btw would a shield made out of alien alloys be possible? maybe like portable cover and non-degrading?  that would also be pretty cool, having like a sidearm in one hand shooting through a slot on the left/right side depending on which hand its put in? i think that would be something they should consider using... come to think of it do you guys think x-com has forgotten about 1/4 of the technology in the world of 1999 that would be infinetly useful to them...

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 05:08:06 pm »
Hm...  should work, though I wonder to what extent the kinetic energy might hurt the user.  No worse than getting hit with a flight suit on I suppose.  Might be heavy though, same weight as carrying a muton maybe.

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 07:37:41 pm »
Hm...  should work, though I wonder to what extent the kinetic energy might hurt the user.  No worse than getting hit with a flight suit on I suppose.  Might be heavy though, same weight as carrying a muton maybe.

maybe it would work as an armor and just make the front armor max or something leaving the sides exposed? just a thought