Author Topic: [WEAPON] Terran Plasma Weapons  (Read 31453 times)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON] Terran Plasma Weapons
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 07:59:00 pm »
As I said earlier, that makes sense in theory, but in practice eventually you'll only be able to build Heavy Plasmas, because that's all the aliens field after a certain point. I don't like to take that choice away from the player, and besides it dilutes the economic challenge and clashes with my intent to dethrone the Heavy Plasma as the be-all-and-end-all infantry weapon.

What about requiring an "alien gun" to make any other gun? Or at least a gun as big as the alien gun. So even if only heavy plasmas are around, you can still take one and gut it for parts to build a regular plasma rifle.

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 09:09:26 pm »
What about requiring an "alien gun" to make any other gun? Or at least a gun as big as the alien gun. So even if only heavy plasmas are around, you can still take one and gut it for parts to build a regular plasma rifle.

Not sure. And I don't think manufacturing requirements work like that.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 09:28:29 pm »
I guess your best bet would be a system where you can dismantle alien weapons to obtain "plasma chambers" or something, and you need those to manufacture your own plasma weapons. and while that's certainly possible (thanks to fenyo's manufacturing system improvement, for which I am so thankful that I have to mention it in every second post :D ), it means a lot of clicking and micro-management.

this is probably how the xcom2012 resource system with its "weapon fragments" was developed :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:38 pm »
Can I please steal the rifle? I would like to use it as an alien sniper rifle for my ItemLevels mod.

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 02:32:14 am »
Any plans to implement a sniper weapon?  Haven't tried the mod yet, but that's the first thing I thought of but maybe it's not really needed depending on weapon balance.  Looking forward to trying it out.

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34:24 am »
µI have seen a snipper plasma on other thread https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1971.0 but it use the alien theme, not the human plasma weapon one.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 04:08:09 pm »
µI have seen a snipper plasma on other thread https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1971.0 but it use the alien theme, not the human plasma weapon one.

It was built from various parts, but all of them came from here. I just gave it to the aliens, like all standard plasma weapons. (Same with the Plasma Blaster.)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:28 am »
Hey i know i am a little late to this discussion.

I had thought to do something similar what i was doing, what i was thinking is to re purpose alien weapons in order to build Terran.
So all weapon will be divided into 3 main components
Power-cell, alien alloy, and (i don't remember the other part :) ), maybe reaction chamber or plasma containment field or something.

In any case when a weapon gets capture from the aliens, X-COM engineers would be able to dismantle and extract these component and later use those components to build Terran version. However you will not recover as much as it was used to build it. This way engineers play a very important role. 
Clearly there would need to be a balance, for example using power cells
extracted power-cell from pistol 1 from rifle 3 and heavy 5.
to build 1 pistol clip you need 3 power-cells, for a rifle clip 5 and a heavy 7 or whatever number works.

just ideas.

Offline Eduard_Nope

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Russian translation
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 03:47:07 pm »
I've added russian translation for this mod. Just replace old ruleset file with that. Everything tested and works fine on my game. Report me if any bugs accured

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 03:29:36 am »
Updated in accordance to the new mod structure.

Posted it at the mod site as well, but the system seems to be buggy at the moment.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 09:59:14 am »
Will 'borrow' your images and sounds when I get to my system. What can I use to recolour the weapons to a grayer blue / green colour?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2015, 01:52:06 pm »
Will 'borrow' your images and sounds when I get to my system. What can I use to recolour the weapons to a grayer blue / green colour?

It's best to use Falko's online tools. They are great with palette converting.

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2015, 03:59:11 pm »

No problem. Just be sure to credit me and Chiko, the original creator of the designs.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 02:36:34 am »
No problem. Just be sure to credit me and Chiko, the original creator of the designs.

You could add some pictures towards your Mod on the Modportal, just a suggestion.
If you already added some and are wondering why they do not show up, smething went wrong wghile joshua moved servers.
If you already added pictures towards your mod, you need to reupload them, to make them visible.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 12:59:59 pm »
As I said earlier, that makes sense in theory, but in practice eventually you'll only be able to build Heavy Plasmas, because that's all the aliens field after a certain point. I don't like to take that choice away from the player, and besides it dilutes the economic challenge and clashes with my intent to dethrone the Heavy Plasma as the be-all-and-end-all infantry weapon.
You can edit the difficulty rule to make the aliens continue using plasma pistols and plasma rifles. They could use those less often as difficulty escalates, but never stop using them entirely.