Author Topic: 'Hall of fame' feature  (Read 4164 times)

Offline starwindz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
'Hall of fame' feature
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:34:18 am »
I think that 'hall of fame' feature should be added just like 'Master of Magic', 'Master of Orion II', 'Civilization' and other games. Current version of XCOM1/OpenXcom only show the same slides after the last battle and there is no history record of whole game play except for soldier stats. So many players will feel some kind of futility. Anybody who has considered this feature?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:24:48 pm by starwindz »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 'Hall of fame' feature
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:41:57 pm »
You will be happy to know that I am modding stats in. Have a look at my thread : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1363.msg15738.html#new.

A ton of information is saved about each mission for each soldier, and then I will be adding a totals screen so you can see how many Sectoids your soldier killed, or how many Leaders he killed, or how many kills he got with a Laser Pistol, or how many large UFOs he battled.

I will also be adding in medals after this, which is how this all started. The entire history of your soldier will be tracked. If you want to suggest more things, feel free to head over there and let loose.

A hall of fame feature would really just be an extension of all this; perhaps rank soldiers by amount of points amassed in a missing, +100 per kill or something. I am not too creative with this stuff, so if you want to outline a detail, I could make my mod with the extension in mind.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »
I think starwindz' suggestion was more about displaying an overall statistic for the player rather than for individual soldiers.

but still, maybe your logging could be extended to other "milestones", like "time to first alien technology researched", "number of aliens captured alive", "time to cydonia attack", "time to first psi-soldier", "amount of money made by selling manufactured goods" and so on?

Offline starwindz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:04 pm »
Thank you for your comments, Shoes and moriarty. :)

My eventual suggestion is 'Doing games competitions' via 'Displaying an overall statistic(including game scores) for the each game play'.

Several months ago, I have found periodic Commodore 64 games competitions.
https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46069
https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49171
If there are periodic games competitions like this, much more people will play OpenXcom!

I think that Shoes' mod could be extended for this feature as moriarty mentioned.
How about my idea, Shoes?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:24:18 pm by starwindz »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:38:14 pm »
XCom already has its own scoring system, all that needs to be done is keeping a running tally from each mission. I know you get points from more than just missions, so the monthly score could be saved and at the end of the game your total could be displayed somewhere. Maybe the UFOPedia.

A "balance" issue with this would be the fact that, the longer you play, the more points you accumulate. Ideally, we would know the average score that all players get per month, and deduct that from their monthly total. If you do average, you get +0; above average and you score some points.

I think a leaderboard would be another good addition to this game. After I finish with soldier medals/stats, perhaps I could look into "commander" stats, which the leaderboard would be a subsection of.

You can save me some work however by laying out the "rules" of the leaderboard.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:30:51 pm »
Could go with monthly score tallied up but you lose points the longer it takes to finish the game. Shouldn't worry too much about rules and balance though because as it stands it's pretty easy to mod the game so you would need an official game version which doesn't have easy to modify save-files for use on an online-leaderboard. For a players own leaderboard though it doesn't matter too much.

To tie in with moddability perhaps have the rules be modified, vanilla could be standard monthly score but there is a bonus pool of 100,000 points which goes down by 1000 for every month it takes to finish the game. Can modify the rules though so finance is involved, number of funding nations (and their funding level), have players be able to set their own scores for battlefield actions like civillians killed by aliens/xcom etc... as long as there is an ability to change the high-score rules in the ruleset.