Author Topic: Another tech tree thread.  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Incognito

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Another tech tree thread.
« on: February 28, 2014, 03:02:58 am »
Just my thoughts on extending the tech tree out with some changes. All these typically include the prerequisite alien artifact as well (So Plasma Pistols will need you to have a Plasma Pistol).

Alien Containment
Research Required: Any alien corpse

Mind Probe
Research Required: Sectoid corpse (with slightly modified fluff on cybernetic interfaces).
Manufacture: 1 Sectoid corpse + 1 Elerium 115

Plasma Pistol/Clip
Research Required: Elerium 115 + Any live alien soldier.

Plasma Rifle/Clip
Research Required: Plasma Pistol + Live Snakeman or Muton soldier.

Heavy Plasma/Clip
Research Required: Plasma Rifle + Live Muton soldier.

UFO Power Source
Research Required: Any live alien engineer + Elerium 115.

UFO Navigation
Research Required: Any live alien navigator.

Psi-Amp
Research Required: Psi-Lab + Ethereal Corpse
Manufacture: 1 Ethereal Corpse + 1 (or more?) Elerium 115

Flying Suit
Research Required: Alien Alloys, Power Source, UFO Navigation, Floater corpse or Cyberdisc corpse.

Hover-HWPs
Research Required: (Normal stuff) + Live Cyberdisc

Small Launcher
Research Required: Any live alien medic.

Hyper-wave Decoder
??? (UFO Navigation research?)

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Another tech tree thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 07:50:29 pm »
My only thought as I digest your ideas is that you prefer some bio-mechanical aspect to manufacturing weapons, psionic tech, etc. 

Personally:  I've never enjoyed that.

If your idea is to perhaps slow down research and manufacturing, make it requirements tougher...thats different.  I still wouldn't suggest live aliens though.  Just can't picture a muton showing our scientiest how to use a blaster launcher.  Just can't picture it...at least, not in a way that benefits the scientist's desire for a long life. 

I do agree on the Hyperwave decoder as well as the alien containment. 

The live cyberdisc is a full on effort that must be undertaken very early in the game, or you will miss your window to do so for many more months as tougher alien races assault the earth.  To stun a cyberdisk takes deliberate effort and great determination.  You must be willing to sacrifice lives to do it.  To have XCOM plan such an op in January first terror mission or even in February is tough.  March is possible.  But then the window cracks and floaters start scratching.  The greatest window is if Sectoids establish a base.  Too many variables for a hover HWP. 

Now, what is quite possible is to make the Hover HWP consume a cyberdisc in order to manufacture.  Thats completely feasible.  Even the flying suit could require a floater corpse.

Offline Incognito

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Another tech tree thread.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:05 pm »
I suppose I was trying to put some emphasis on the need for interrogating aliens and autopsies ... as well as change those corpses into a usable resource rather than just there to be sold on to dodgy fast food joints ... some what stealing ideas from Xcom 2013.