aliens

Author Topic: so...graphics?  (Read 4728 times)

Offline metalmunki

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
so...graphics?
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:26:28 am »
Please don't kill me, but I was wondering if any thought had been given to improving the visuals? I don't mean spangly 3-D and effects, I'm talking about redrawing the existing artwork, making it sharper eg. making a diagonal border look like a line instead of a pixel stairway, and making use of a higher available palette to make some of the gairish terrain a softer tone rather than neon-coloured grass.

For the record, I LOVE UFO and TFTD, and the Firaxis XCOM pretty much let me down, so I'm not trying to mess with a sacred cow, I just think that if you're going to the trouble of remaking this from the ground up, making things look a little better (while still keeping the same art design and look), would be a reasonably high priority.

That being said, I'd hope that it it'll be moddable eventually and I'll just do it myself!  ;D

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: so...graphics?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:20:13 am »
Problem is....copyrights.

Offline Kain13

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:12 am »
Problem is....copyrights.

+++ of them is closed for UFO: Two Parties, this mod as for me was the closest in spirit to the original than all the other projects :-\

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 02:28:07 am »
I remember reading a thread of an ex-developer from one of the UFO remakes giving OXC free sprites which are a nice graphics improvement. Can't find that thread now. It's another here somewhere though.

Offline LCSand

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:24:53 pm by LCSand »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »
sorry about the threadomancy, but I think this topic can't do without this link:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1558.0.html
I think once done, it'll satisfy all your better graphics needs. ;)

Offline Phreeze

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 02:31:31 pm »
what about doing some "openGFX" ? aka:recreating all the sprites one by one ?

i'm playing a lot of openTTD (open transport tycoon), which can be played with the original gfx set or you can download the openGFX which looks pretty exactly the same. I don't know exactly, but i think they have redrawn all the sprites.

Is something similar planned ?