aliens

Author Topic: more modular research / construction mechanics  (Read 6295 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
more modular research / construction mechanics
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:43:40 pm »
I'm almost sure I requested something like this before... but I can't find it, so I can't bump it. I was reminded of this while discussing orphaned strings in the language files and pondering the apparently once-intended additional mechanics that just didn't make it into the game.

What I mean by more modular research / construction mechanics is this:
I think it would be nice if it was possible to define a "construction" that produces more than one thing and also a thing that is defined internally instead of by the name of the construction project.

The main reason for this would be the possibility to define for example a construction project "UFO Power Source Deconstruction" that uses a UFO Power Source as a raw material and yields a few units of Elerium and a few units of Alien Alloys. Or a construction project "Extract Elerium-115 from Plasma Rifle Clip" which uses a Plasma Rifle Clip as a raw material and yields a unit of Elerium.

Another example? Maybe it would be possible to construct PSI-Amps from Elerium for a lot of money, taking a lot of time - or from less Elerium and a Mind Probe for a lot less money and faster - surely the Mind Probe circuitry can be re-used for the PSI-Amp :)

As for research, similar modularity would be nice:
if there were switches not only for enabling research, but also for disabling it (negative requirements, so to say), we could implement stuff like research bonuses (something like "as soon as you research ufo power source, all plasma weapon research becomes a lot easier").

or a mod that uses the research system to do magic spell research, you could implement mutually exclusive spell realms (for example: if you research life spells, you don't get to research death spells and vice versa)

it would also make sense to have certain research projects give you items upon completion of the research: if your eggheads research how to build a weapon, maybe they do that by constructing a working prototype? :) so it would be nice to have the option that research projects can give you other stuff, too. could even be money.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: more modular research / construction mechanics
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:35:33 am »
i can already see the code for how to achieve this floating around my head, but the one problem i foresee is the lack of available screen real-estate to list the requirements as well as the results

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:54 am »
True. I didn't really think about that... although I think this would fit in the usual "start construction" screen for simple projects. And once the code is there, it should be easily adaptable for something like the "foundry" :) and that's going to need a whole new screen anyway ;)

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:18:08 pm »
Yeah, in the "Start project" subwindow it could just display the list of produced things under the list of required things, and if they're too long, a scroll bar would suffice. The manufacturing overview screen already doesn't display required things, so it shouldn't be out of place if it doesn't display the produced things.

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 06:53:05 am »
I've just implemented the manufacture part of this feature-request:  GitHub-PullRequest (Merged)

I've attached a sample ruleset file to this post. (which uses that new attribute)
With this file you can extract elerium from clips and alien grenade. :)
You just have to append the filename to the "rulesets:" part of the options.cfg.

Cheers. ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:20:09 am by Fenyő »

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »
Great idea to add

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »
I've just implemented the manufacture part of this feature-request:  GitHub-PullRequest (Merged)

I've attached a sample ruleset file to this post. (which uses that new attribute)
With this file you can extract elerium from clips and alien grenade. :)
You just have to append the filename to the "rulesets:" part of the options.cfg.

Cheers. ;)

So this will work right off the bat? Thanks Fenyo, I've always wanted this kind of Feature!

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:06:49 pm »
Modular, slow acces to research is a good thing to be an on/of advanced option, coz after the first couple of missions you have almost all the research able items and if you are like me and research all compulsively and let the alien terror and crashes even ufos away... and loose
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:19:22 pm by Angelus_EV »