aliens

Author Topic: Alien sight range annoyance  (Read 7700 times)

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Alien sight range annoyance
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:39:16 am »
I've found something weird and annoying about alien sight range. Even in the day, they seem to be able to see at least 1 or 2 squares further than X-COM troops, and that's already cost me a handful of lives: shots from the fog of war in broad daylight, from a place the soldier was directly facing.

I'm not sure that's how it worked in the original. As far as I recall, during the day, if they could see you, you could see them if you were looking their way.

Quote from: Line of sight @ UFOpaedia.org
Within visible range
     Visible range for X-Com soldiers is 20 tiles during the day and dawn/dusk, 9 at night
     Aliens are not subject to the lighting penalties and have a 20-tile range at all times
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:41:55 am by Shadow »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Alien sight range annoyance
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:01:54 am »
they use the same sight algorithms as you do, i don't know what to tell you. sight range is a const int defined in the header. the only difference between them is accounting for light/dark

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:20:29 am »
I remember aliens doing this in the original. It's probably due to another alien spotting for the shooter (if aliens work like that).

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 07:25:31 am »
I remember aliens doing this in the original. It's probably due to another alien spotting for the shooter (if aliens work like that).

That's a possibility. My mistake, then.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 08:41:07 am »
even then, they're still bound by the 20-tile visible distance rule. (apart from psionic or blaster launcher stuff) it may just be something to do with reaction fire taking place, and killing the unit "before" he exposes the alien, maybe. or maybe it's an alien inside a building that makes it juuuust dark enough to obscure the alien, it could be just about anything to be honest. but yeah, i do remember taking fire from invisible aliens in the original in this regard.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 03:12:58 pm »
Perhaps, we are talking about issue like this: https://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/332

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 03:26:30 pm »
Could it also be the blind spot corner thing? https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Line_of_sight

Is that in OXC? Is it a bug or is it a feature?

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 04:22:04 pm »
Perhaps, we are talking about issue like this: https://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/332

Coincidentally, I was in a forest mission as well, taking cover among trees, and the firing Sectoid was close to a hillside when I spotted it a turn later.

Might be related! :o

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 06:45:06 pm »
have notice something a bit quirky about LoS too. As if a tile that should get revealed doesn't quite make it...

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 07:53:33 pm »
openxcom_git_master_2013_10_08_0216 was latest build, which calculates LoS properly.

Offline Hobbit Lord

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 05:56:18 am »
Coincidentally, I was in a forest mission as well, taking cover among trees, and the firing Sectoid was close to a hillside when I spotted it a turn later.

Might be related! :o
I've noticed the same issue. Last time it was daytime in a jungle environment (crashed UFO). There were four sectoids sniping away at me from very long distance and had to move quite a bit forward until I found them

I suppose trees also could work for these 'blind spots'?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:03:25 am by Hobbit Lord »

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 11:42:29 pm »
There's still something off about the edge of sight range as of git_master_2013_10_20_0856.

Could maybe try to experimentally reduce alien sight from 20 to 19 tiles and see how it affects things?

Sight ranges could also be externalized to the ruleset to allow for some soft modding.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 11:56:59 pm »
There's still something off about the edge of sight range as of git_master_2013_10_20_0856.

This is the fix ;-)
Now, all works fine.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:42 am »
Sight ranges could also be externalized to the ruleset to allow for some soft modding.

Hmm, 3 hours ago was added PR for moving View distance into ruleset. :-)