Author Topic: the simple things...  (Read 7855 times)

Offline cmndr

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
the simple things...
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:12:42 pm »
...like the already mentioned 'open doors per right-click' or a second generation motion-sensor grenade,
are things you'll miss, sooner or later.

There are a number of Mods for UFO1 to look at for inspiration, such as the ET-Mod
(contains the mentioned second-gen motion grenade) or XCOMUtil
(contains tanks that are actually tanks - they can take several medium to hard hits and go on, similar to the cyberdisc, while ignoring light weapons.  
Also makes improvements to several weapons that you would NEVER use in play otherwise,  and the alternate starting base).

Psi-Screening of soldiers should happen as soon as you have psi-labs...to wait TWO MONTHS for the psi-values to be readable
is simply idiotic. 1-2 weeks, maximum.

Another idea: dual-wielding pistols. see Jagged Alliance 2. Not good for long distances, but ideal for shooting in
close quarters, as the aiming-time is faster than with an autofire-capable rifle - you get 2 shots instead of three.

Please keep the feature, that you can prime a grenade, then keep it in hand without starting the timer until it has left
the soldiers hand.

Pocket UFO is another source of useful ideas (save a soldiers equipment-loadout, look at soldiers stats from equip-screen, mean AI, some new graphics), but it is full of bugs.  :(

That's all I can think of right now.

Cheers,
cmndr

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:14:49 pm by cmndr »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: the simple things...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:10:45 am »
Thanks for the ideas. I'll be sure to look into the other fan-stuff for ways to improve the game.

Another idea: dual-wielding pistols. see Jagged Alliance 2. Not good for long distances, but ideal for shooting in
close quarters, as the aiming-time is faster than with an autofire-capable rifle - you get 2 shots instead of three.
You can already dual-wield pistols, or do you mean be able to shoot both at once for reduced cost?

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:32:45 pm »
Following on from the psi-screening, I'd like to swap who's in the lab during the month too. Apocalypse allowed assigning training at will... In fact, some other training options (for accuracy, stamina, etc.) would be great!

Offline cmndr

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »
As I said, I think JA2 is a nice example of well implemented dual-wielding.

When holding two handguns, a merc can fire both at once, for the timecost of firing one.

Drawbacks are:
the merc has to ready/aim both guns (bring his arms up from resting position), meaning he/she
has to pay the timecost of doing so for both weapons - it's a little different from Ufo,
as the xcom-agents always keep theis guns at the ready.

the recoil of both weapons reduces the aim of both shots, can be compensated by skill and strength of the
merc

guns have vastly less range and penetration-power compared to rifles, making them useless in a medium-range firefight.
this reduces the utility of dual-wielding to indoor-situations or fights in very thick woods.
And quiet assassinations, but I don't know if sneaking around would be at all possible in a fight against psionic aliens.

That's actually a good point: Will there be the possibility to locate an enemy action via generated noise involved in the game-engine?
A simple 'heard a faint/medium/loud noise from NW/NE/SW/SE' would be a big clue in locating stalking aliens, or running civilians.

Please keep in mind that the average soldier can differentiate between an impact-sound/explosion and the sound of something else happening. ;)

anon4551

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:00:20 pm »
That's actually a good point: Will there be the possibility to locate an enemy action via generated noise involved in the game-engine?
A simple 'heard a faint/medium/loud noise from NW/NE/SW/SE' would be a big clue in locating stalking aliens, or running civilians.

Please keep in mind that the average soldier can differentiate between an impact-sound/explosion and the sound of something else happening. ;)

Being a huge JA2 fan, I do have to say: that does sound like a good idea. Especially when trying to locate that one last alien on a mission... although I don't know whether there is already an idea in the works for that.

Don't know how hard it would be to implement, as a toggle-able feature it sure would be awesome, though.

battlesquid

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:26:48 am »
+1 to "save a soldiers equipment-loadout"
+1 to make it less tedious to locate the last alien by implementing hearing (however it should be toggleable to avoid spamming the player with messages!)