aliens

Author Topic: Danish Translation  (Read 33413 times)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: Danish Translation
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 03:39:27 pm »
Sci-fi techno babble always sounds cooler in English. ;)

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »
Supsuper, where/how should I submit my translation, when it's finished?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 06:20:32 pm »
Just post it here or send it to GitHub, whichever works for you.

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:27 pm »
Great stuff :) Thx!

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:16 pm »
Hm.. didn't know where to ask this, so hopefully there are both native english/danish people here?

Well here it goes. In english the word "alien" is both used about people you don't know and people from outer space - right? In danish we have "strangers" and "space creatures". Looking through the lines that needs to be translated I tend to be in doubt of which I should use.

I.e: has signed a secret pact with unknown alien forces and has withdrawn from the project
Should Alien be translated to "stranger" or "space-creature-monster-thing"?

Compared to this: This will be devastating for any alien foe
I guess this means "space-creature"?

Does it even matter which I use? As I understand the game, you don't know if it's strangers/unknown people, or space-creatures, so there should be a difference? But as I'm not a native english speaker, I can't tell meaning of the word that you use :)

Sigh... I hope this makes sense :)

Apart from that, I need to translate the loooong tech-babble strings, and then I should be done. The game is already playable with a danish translation. Though some tweaking should be in order. Oh btw I'm missing a danish letter (the O with the line through it). What should I do about that?

Sorry, about all the questions :/ I'm quite new to all this.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:25:58 pm by re-mind »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 06:28:50 pm »
i think any use of the word "alien" in xcom is a reference to space men from outer space.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »
Yeah I think most translations go with "extraterrestrial" (space creature etc.) because it makes more sense in their language than "alien".

As for the letters, if you can draw the new characters I'll add them in, or you can try adding them yourself.

Edit: I checked with an expert and he would use "rumvæsen".
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:21:16 pm by SupSuper »

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 03:37:31 pm »
Okay.. I saw yesterday, that the next release is very close. So I decided to clean the translation a bit, and send upload it :)

ATTENTION! THIS IS NOT A FULL TRANSLATION!

The game is actually playable, but almost everything in UFOpedia is missing (all the techno babble), but I'll look into it this week. Would be nice to have a complete danish translation for 0.5, but until now its playable.

I'll keep messing around with it :)

Offline SuperVGA

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:43 pm »
Hey re-mind. Har checket din oversættelse. Må jeg læse en smule korrektur?
Syntes det er cool at du har holdt det 100% rent. Der er nok mange danske oversættelser af Alien der er blevet til ... Well, "Alien".

For the rest of you, I'm offering re-mind to Q.A. the Danish translation.

Offline SuperVGA

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 10:33:40 pm »
Also, at the risk of appearing to hijack the Danish translation -thread, may i suggest to re-mind:

The use of "udenjordisk" which means extraterrestrial.
Where "rumvæsen" means spacecreature and
"fremmed" means alien.

I think it's cool to all-in on the translation, but reading "rumvæsen" over and over
again makes me feel like I'm reading a teletubbies storyboard or something...

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 12:06:05 am »
SuperVGA, hey :) There was nobody taking care of the danish translation, so I just gave it a go.. Seemed weird that the game wasn't already translated to danish..

Knock yourself out :) I have only used a few hours on it, and right now, I have to pay a lot of attention to my school.. Exams and stuff :(

I like your suggestions, and I think you should correct it to whatever you think :) Maybe a list of "alien skal altid oversættes til xxx". That would make translating way easier.

Well :) good luck..  I'll check back almost every day, but I cant help much atm.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 12:00:39 pm »
Hey re-mind, hope you don't mind, but I added your translation to 0.9. I know it's incomplete, but this way it gets more attention and might attract other people to help you complete it. :)

I also fixed some errors and added missing stuff like the Øø characters, so if you're gonna keep working on it I suggest grabbing the latest version (in 0.9) and working from there.

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 10:27:22 pm »
Hey Supsuper :)

No that great.. Thank you ;) At least now I'm  a part of this awesome project.. I wan't to continue on the translation, but until July I'm really booked with school :/ Maybe I'll give it a try some weekends :) Hopefully all you devs will take a little break before 1.0? ;)

Maybe SuperVGA will pick it up from here? I think that I have translated about 60-70%, so apart from different ways of translating and small corrections, it should soon be done.

Offline joedalton

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 02:53:23 pm »
I have finished the Danish translation. I could still need a proofreading, so I'll send it to the Danish translation group. I might have luck finding a proofreader.
bye
Joe
Danish

Offline snowybird77

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 04:19:38 pm »
I have finished the Danish translation. I could still need a proofreading, so I'll send it to the Danish translation group. I might have luck finding a proofreader.
bye
Joe
Danish

Hi. What has happened since your update? Are you still active with the translation? Has it been sent to the team?