Author Topic: Translations migrated to GetLocalization  (Read 48766 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Translations migrated to GetLocalization
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 02:57:41 am »
I'll have a talk with the GetLocalization guys, see what they think, since so far they've been real helpful. I don't fancy keeping translations in the codebase since it gives the illusion that they're up-to-date and might get manually edited. But given the regularity of your work, I don't think mixing it with Git updates or waiting for manual updates is gonna cut it either. Maybe some kind of cron tied to their API.

I have a question regarding the strings that start/end with a space.
It seems that spaces are ignored when the original translation (english) is copied to the editor. The ones allready translated have the spaces at the begining/end.
That can confuse those starting a translation from scratch.
This will probably be cleaned up once all "sentence strings" are combined to get rid of trailing whitespace, since this was already a problem when people were manually editing files and easily missed important spacing.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »
Looks good, but I not fully understand workflow of translation. Is there something like a Translation Manager or Reviewer role for translation team, that will approve translation variants?

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 04:06:03 pm »
Hey everyone,

i like the idea, but from a first glance at the website is not too intuitive. In any case i hope i get used to it fast :) and i hope this makes thigs easier. Also i see that you are using only one Spanish translation.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:22 pm »
Looks good, but I not fully understand workflow of translation. Is there something like a Translation Manager or Reviewer role for translation team, that will approve translation variants?
Well normally the way public translation software works is people can submit and vote on translations. Since there can be multiple translations for a string, votes help decide which one people prefer. Then some appointed moderator approves them and they get rolled out to the software.

That's a premium feature in GetLocalization though :P so it seems everyone gets to submit and vote and the software figures it out based on the votes, so I guess I have to trust you guys to not go mad with power. That's the developers' job. ;)

Hey everyone,

i like the idea, but from a first glance at the website is not too intuitive. In any case i hope i get used to it fast :) and i hope this makes thigs easier. Also i see that you are using only one Spanish translation.
No they are both in there. :) If you have problems/suggestions try using the Feedback link as they seem pretty receptive to that sort of stuff.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 08:57:38 am »
In the meantime I just put all the latest translations in Git.

Offline radius75

• Colonel
  • I am the average PC user!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 05:42:45 pm »
unexpected changes: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commit/658a3c44a4f571854ce52af12111f4114ce2a940

-  STR_DAY:
-    1: "{N} dzień"
-    2: "{N} dni"
-    3: "{N} dni"
+  STR_DAY:
+    1: "{N} dzień"
+    2: "{N} dni"
-  STR_UNITS_IN_EXIT_AREA:
-    0: "Brak jednostek na terenie ewakuacji"
-    1: "{N} jednostka na terenie ewakuacji"
-    2: "{N} jednostki na terenie ewakuacji"
-    3: "{N} jednostek na terenie ewakuacji"
-  STR_UNITS_OUTSIDE_EXIT_AREA:
-    0: "Brak jednostek poza terenem ewakuacji"
-    1: "{N} jednostka poza terenem ewakuacji"
-    2: "{N} jednostki poza terenem ewakuacji"
-    3: "{N} jednostek poza terenem ewakuacji"
+  STR_UNITS_IN_EXIT_AREA:
+    0: "Brak jednostek na terenie ewakuacji"
+    1: "{N} jednostka na terenie ewakuacji"
+    2: "{N} jednostki na terenie ewakuacji"
+  STR_UNITS_OUTSIDE_EXIT_AREA:
+    0: "Brak jednostek poza terenem ewakuacji"
+    1: "{N} jednostka poza terenem ewakuacji"
+    2: "{N} jednostki poza terenem ewakuacji"

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:06 pm »
Hmmm I guess we'll have to wait until they add proper pluralization support or come up with some dodgy workaround. :-\

Offline radius75

• Colonel
  • I am the average PC user!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:08 pm »
add a empty string to en-US.yml ? If it can act.

STR_UNITS_IN_EXIT_AREA:
    0: "No Units in Exit Area"
    1: "{N} Unit in Exit Area"
    2: "{N} Units in Exit Area"
    3: ""
  STR_UNITS_OUTSIDE_EXIT_AREA:
    0: "No Units outside Exit Area"
    1: "{N} Unit outside Exit Area"
    2: "{N} Units outside Exit Area"
    3: ""

etc.

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 07:08:05 pm »
A filter to show strings that have two or more translations whould be great. That way it should be easy to spot translations that are debated, and people could vote for the best. For example, right now there are two translations that, although are better, they ranked as 2nd.
I admit, this happend due to inertia on my part, when voting for strings (I voted first for the original translation, then proposed a new translation and voted it) - maybe a botton for canceling my vote would be good too.
As a side note, what are the attributes after which the list is sorted? Right now it seems to be completely random. That makes it somehow difficult to determine where exactly the string is used. It was easier before, when consecutive strings where somewhat related.

I will try find some time to identify where are the strings used, and maybe make a page on the wiki.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 08:49:38 am »
Just sent out a big update that fixes most problems translators have been having with the strings, so be sure to review all changed strings so they work correctly in-game.
Pluralization fixes will come later.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 09:56:26 am »
I'm not sure if this was asked before, but how about gender support? Take this line for example:
{0}{NEWLINE}has become unconscious

This works well in English, but in Romanian the translation is a bit different, depending on if the unit/soldier in question is a male or female

Note:
There is a workaround, that works by modifying the translation a bit, something along these lines:
The soldier{NEWLINE}{0}{NEWLINE}has become unconscious

This way, the subject is changed, and the line remains the same regardless if there is a male or female involved. This raises the question about handling alien units under your  control though...

Offline shuuk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 12:26:00 pm »
im on my way to completet the german translation on getlocalization.com  :)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »
I'm not sure if this was asked before, but how about gender support? Take this line for example:
This works well in English, but in Romanian the translation is a bit different, depending on if the unit/soldier in question is a male or female

Note:
There is a workaround, that works by modifying the translation a bit, something along these lines:
This way, the subject is changed, and the line remains the same regardless if there is a male or female involved. This raises the question about handling alien units under your  control though...
There already is gender support. ;) Look for the strings with _MALE and _FEMALE (they will look the same in English).

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 10:36:59 pm »
Hey there. My first post ever, so, again, Hey there!

I took the liberty of adding another language at the GetLoc site. Is there any way to export the language files so that we could test the translations locally? Nevermind, they are sync'ed with the Git now. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:31:34 am by Ishmaeel »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:27 am »
There already is gender support. ;) Look for the strings with _MALE and _FEMALE (they will look the same in English).
Oh, my bad. I will.

Question: How do I search for a certain "key" on GL?