Author Topic: At what point will xcom be obsolete? / scifi literature topic  (Read 22947 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
At what point will xcom be obsolete? / scifi literature topic
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:17:04 am »
I'd suppose it'll evolve and there will be new versions, but aren't some of the features a little out of date?  I heard they discovered element 115.  Perhaps one day it'll all be mobile combat vehicles rather than soldiers.  And UAVs rather than piloted craft.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:47:39 am by kharille »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: At what point will xcom be obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:46:46 am »
people still play games based around other past events, like WW2 , Xcom is just based on a past event in a alternate dimension ;)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:29:09 am »
I believe when the real aliens land on earth and start enslaving humanity openXcom is maybe out of date   ;).

Offline sectoidwhisperer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 01:16:48 am »
ummmm......NEVER!

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 03:04:04 am »
  I heard they discovered element 115.

What? When?

Wait a sec, you talk about an element that just happened to be element 115 on the periodic table right? Not an element that has the properties of X-com 115.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 07:02:21 am »
I believe when the real aliens land on earth and start enslaving humanity openXcom is maybe out of date   ;).

At that point OpenXcom will become educational, a fate worse than death for video-games!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:41 am »
Wait a sec, you talk about an element that just happened to be element 115 on the periodic table right? Not an element that has the properties of X-com 115.

That's because those dumbasses can't even make a proper Elerium crystal!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 11:01:07 am »
Bah, element, shmelement. What's good of an element if you don't have the proper isotope :)

And about the crafts - seriously, in 1994 we were comparing Interceptors to F-22s and they seemed almost within reach. Now we compare to F-35s and they seem ages ahead of our tech :)

Oh and about the robots, Japan was still kinda on it in 1994 and HWP seemed not much of a stretch. I was recently on a presentation made by the leading Polish robot producer (don't laugh, their robots are used by US and Israeli forces, so can't be that bad). Production process of a modern robot which is sorta comparable to a HWP takes several years, the thing costs millions of $$$ and it's rather unimpressive to be honest, a dirt-cheap run-of-the-mill suicide bomber is more effective :) So I think in robotics we're lagging behind X-Com even more than back then, if only because the limitations of robotics route the western civilization took became more apparent (and Japan is pretty much out of business).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:11:01 am by Dioxine »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 12:37:40 pm »
HWP of year 2010 8)

today

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:49:03 pm by davide »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 01:45:34 pm »
I think I'll make the tanks researchable, with some prerequisites. :)

It would be cool to only have access to these real-life drones at first. (I don't think they'd be popular though.)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 05:02:13 pm »
That's because those dumbasses can't even make a proper Elerium crystal!

Lulz right, dumb asses indeed. Who doesnt want infinete energy right?

Bah, element, shmelement. What's good of an element if you don't have the proper isotope :)

Thats why (short of) I asked if they discovered an element that just filled the 115 "slot" on the periodic table or if they did actually discovered something similar. When I thought about it calmly ofc I realised it is former rather than the later. If they did discover something like this, it would be the news.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:04:37 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 07:32:12 pm »
As a game, I don't see why xcom would become obsolete. It's still one of the most complex games I know, maybe with the total war games.

I found it funny when I learned there already was a 115 element. But that doesn't really mean much. Too bad the scientist who named it wasn't an xcom fan though (or it was maybe before xcom?). Having elerium in real life would be neat.

Technology surpassing what is in the game isn't really an issue. XCom:EU is an alternative history just like any game set in the past. It just happens to be a bit more recent. The red alert games are still entertaining even though it's not the cold war.

As for robots, a cheapish crappy scout drone kinda like what we use now for bomb disposal could be nice as an early scout, to keep your rookies alive and allow them to get better. With a rifle or smoke as weapons, maybe, then HWPs after some research in alien tech for remote control or sensors.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 04:58:04 am »
I suppose I meant the technology.  In this day and age its all UAV's flying everywhere.  I wonder whether in the coming decades they'll do a contemporary remake.

and the 2012 doesn't seem to have much in the way of improved technology for the humans to begin with. 

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 06:09:00 am »
I'd suppose it'll evolve and there will be new versions, but aren't some of the features a little out of date?  I heard they discovered element 115.  Perhaps one day it'll all be mobile combat vehicles rather than soldiers.  And UAVs rather than piloted craft.

Is H.G. Wells 'The War of the Worlds' out of date? I mean, now everyone knows that there aren't any Martians but the book is still considered a classic even if it takes place on the beginning of the 20th century. To me that's how XCom goes :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:12:00 am »
Is H.G. Wells 'The War of the Worlds' out of date? I mean, now everyone knows that there aren't any Martians but the book is still considered a classic even if it takes place on the beginning of the 20th century. To me that's how XCom goes :)

So true. And curiously it also proves that "modernized" remakes are often far worse than the original (shame on you, Steven Spielberg, you could've done much better than that).