Author Topic: Romanian translation  (Read 11453 times)

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Romanian translation
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:56:30 pm »
Edit: attached language file for v0.4 of OpenXcom.

Hello,
My name is Cornel and I am from Romania.
I've been registered for a while now, but since I'm not much of a coder I've been lurking around in the shadows :P
But now that this situation presented its self I'd have a go at translating OpenXcom into my native language.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:28:18 pm by cort »

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Romanian translation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:14:06 pm »
Here's the finished romanian translation.
Hope to try it soon in-game :P

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Romanian translation
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:34:27 am »
In my initial translation I hadn't used the special romanian characters (Ă, ă, Â, â, Î, î, Ș, ș, Ț, ț), don't know why I thought that they are not supported. Also after testing it in game I corrected some strings to fit better in the game window.

The special characters are displayed correctly, but there are some "problems" with Ă, Â and Î characters. Basicly, these are skewed to the size of A and thus they look odd when used in a sentence with all the text in uppercase. There are no problems with Ș, Ț and the lowercase characters.

It's not such a big deal, but it can be an annoiance for some. If it's too much trouble to find a solution I can upload a version without the special characters.

I also updated this via GitHub but I am not sure I did it right.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:21:42 pm »
In my initial translation I hadn't used the special romanian characters (Ă, ă, Â, â, Î, î, Ș, ș, Ț, ț), don't know why I thought that they are not supported. Also after testing it in game I corrected some strings to fit better in the game window.
They weren't but I added them myself. ;)

If you find some text not fitting or getting cut off even though there is plenty of room, let me know first, often the UI is just poorly built and I can fix it to fit bigger strings without needing to edit the text (I did this a lot in 0.3).

The special characters are displayed correctly, but there are some "problems" with Ă, Â and Î characters. Basicly, these are skewed to the size of A and thus they look odd when used in a sentence with all the text in uppercase. There are no problems with Ș, Ț and the lowercase characters.

It's not such a big deal, but it can be an annoiance for some. If it's too much trouble to find a solution I can upload a version without the special characters.
This is a technical restriction because the uppercase letters take up the whole font space with no room for glyphs on top (as you can see in the "custom font" thread), so the original developers had to skew the letters to fit and I maintained the tradition. :P It's a tough situation, the only solutions would be:

- Increase the font size to accomodate upper glyphs, but this would probably make text not fit in the UI anymore because it's too tightly designed for the current font size (so the glyphs would kinda pop out).

- Decrease all the letters so they can fit upper glyphs without looking uneven, but then the text would probably look weird with all the "blank space" on top.

For now I would recommend keeping the glyphs, it's more correct, consistent with the other languages and if later we come up with a proper font solution, the translations don't have to be changed to match.

I also updated this via GitHub but I am not sure I did it right.
You did it right :) if you are done with your changes I will pull it in later today.

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:36:02 pm »
The translation should be complete. And correct, I hope - at least the part that i can check ingame.
As for the length of the strings, don't worry, there weren't that many problems. And if that happend, all I had to do was to find a synonym that was shorter and could be used consistently throughout the text. Moreso, it often produced better results than my initial work  :P

The only thing I changed (regarding the text style) was to use sentence case instead of uppercase for the UFOPedia descripitons of the XCOM Crafts & Craft Armaments because I thought that it wasn't consistent with the rest of the descriptions (lowercase).

The only "strange" thing that I noticed is illustrated in the screenshot, and specifically:
While the strings used for this menu are in the 659, 663 and 665 lines,  the string "Ammunition" is read from line 853.
It should look better if the string used is form the line 661 - "AMMUNITION".

Thank you,
and keep up the excellent work you and your team are doing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:43:25 pm by cort »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:31:37 pm »
The only thing I changed (regarding the text style) was to use sentence case instead of uppercase for the UFOPedia descripitons of the XCOM Crafts & Craft Armaments because I thought that it wasn't consistent with the rest of the descriptions (lowercase).
Hmm, optimally I would like every language to stay consistent with each other. But you are right, I'm not sure why those descriptions are in uppercase (in fact the Craft Armament descriptions weren't even displayed in the original). I might just make a new thread for discussing changes that affect every language so we can keep everyone on the same page. :)

The only "strange" thing that I noticed is illustrated in the screenshot, and specifically:
While the strings used for this menu are in the 659, 663 and 665 lines,  the string "Ammunition" is read from line 853.
It should look better if the string used is form the line 661 - "AMMUNITION".
Nicely spotted, I will fix this.

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:28:21 pm »
I have a few questions regarding the new strings.

1st case:

In English.lng:
STR_DAY_1
{N} day
STR_DAY_2
{N} days

In Romanian.lng:
STR_DAY_1
{N} zi
STR_DAY_2
{N} zile
STR_DAY_3
{N} zile

There is no need for the 3rd string. So can I delete it?

2nd case:

In English.lng:
STR_n_UNITS_IN_EXIT_AREA_0
No Units in Exit Area
STR_n_UNITS_IN_EXIT_AREA_1
{N} Unit in Exit Area
STR_n_UNITS_IN_EXIT_AREA_2
{N} Units in Exit Area
STR_n_UNITS_OUTSIDE_EXIT_AREA_0
No Units outside Exit Area
STR_n_UNITS_OUTSIDE_EXIT_AREA_1
{N} Unit outside Exit Area
STR_n_UNITS_OUTSIDE_EXIT_AREA_2
{N} Units outside Exit Area

In Romanian.lng:
{N} Soldați În Zona De Evacuare
STR_n_UNITS_IN_EXIT_AREA_3
{N} Soldați În Afara Zonei De Evacuare
STR_n_UNITS_OUTSIDE_EXIT_AREA_3

In my opinion there shoud be the same strings as in the english version:
{N} Soldat În Zona De Evacuare
STR_n_UNITS_OUTSIDE_EXIT_AREA_0
{N} Soldat În Afara Zonei De Evacuare

I tested this in game, and everything is ok. Just wanted to run this by you.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
I think you are correct. Those strings depend on how your language handles plurals. For example in English:
No Units in Exit Area
{N} Unit in Exit Area
{N} Units in Exit Area
"unit" changes depending on the number. 0 "units", 1 "unit", and 2+ "units". Other languages can have different rules, so just remove/add cases as appropriate (see this thread).

The reason Romanian.lng doesn't match is because we just copied the old "single form" string, that's why we have you to correct it. ;)

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 08:34:25 pm »
Got it.
Updated on Github.