aliens

Author Topic: Ideas from laser squad nemesis - Sight range / Detection  (Read 9251 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Ideas from laser squad nemesis - Sight range / Detection
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:29:25 am »
One feature that was in Laser squad nemesis was the sight range.  A sniper has a longer vision and great for scouting.  Way I see it, some aliens with no eyes shouldn't be able to spot you so easily, whereas chryssalids should be able to see you from miles away and be right on top of you. 

Wonder whether something like this could be implemented?  Any other features from LSN that might work with openXcom?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:14:37 am by kharille »

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas from laser squad nemesis
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:57:49 am »
The only aliens without eyes are the Silacoid and Celatid, they use some kind of radar sense to see and Ethereals use their Psionics... ^^

Effectively being able to see through walls even... ^^

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:54:09 pm »
Different sight ranges would be really cool. Plus different "night vision" settings - silacoids and celatids should not suffer from low visibility conditions, but other aliens should.

Maybe some aliens (reapers, perhaps)  would actually see better at night than during the day? And be less visible themselves?

The strategy could be improved if aliens would try to locate light sources in the night, and soldiers could toggle their personal lighting - a trade-off between "not being able to see properly" and "being harder to discover" - unless there's a reaper in the shadows, who will start gnawing on you before you ever saw him coming... :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:02:16 pm »
+1 from me for additional sight and  lighting rules for humans and aliens

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:09:13 pm »
Wonder whether the mind probe could improve on vision.  As it is its quite underpowered, so I wonder why they sell for 300k. 

Yeah, a type of sniper unit, alien or human would be nice.

Oh hey, on this topic, what if there were a third party? I'm sure there has been suggestions, human vs humans.  Its another element in LSN. 

If only there were more close combat elements, maybe a close combat race would be nice.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 02:28:45 pm »
Wonder whether the mind probe could improve on vision.  As it is its quite underpowered, so I wonder why they sell for 300k. 

Yeah, a type of sniper unit, alien or human would be nice.

Oh hey, on this topic, what if there were a third party? I'm sure there has been suggestions, human vs humans.  Its another element in LSN. 

If only there were more close combat elements, maybe a close combat race would be nice.

Human Vs Human , this is why i first started building armed civilians and Gangs, i had visions of this wonderful idea , secret factions/cults/agencies all with the own agenda.

As for Close combat, i REALLY want to expand on this and created some suggestions for how this could work, now we just need to play the waiting game ( waiting for me to learn how to code ) maybe in 10 years we will have this :P

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 05:56:20 pm »
Close combat, that was a feature in laser squad.  I really want to bash the sectoids.  Run out of ammunition?  No taser?  Run your rookies up and bash em'!

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »
Close combat, that was a feature in laser squad.  I really want to bash the sectoids.  Run out of ammunition?  No taser?  Run your rookies up and bash em'!

try that with a Muton... :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 10:44:28 pm »
try that with a Muton... :P

I'm using knives on them regularly, they die like little girls they are in close combat. :P

But back to topic: I guess this is worth bringing up again, as it concerns a vital gaming element. It's not just about vision, but about detection in general.
It appears to me that detection can be divided into several categories, which generally are in game anyway:
  • Sight. We all know how it works in RL and the game. Used by humans and most aliens. It can be sub-divided into two categories: day-light vision (used by humans, Ethereals and Reapers) and night vision (used by Sectoids, Floaters, Snakemen, Mutons and Chryssalids).
  • Movement detection. Used by the motion scanner and apparently nothing else. Naturally, it's not real-time, as it only detects movement done in opponent's last/your present turn.
  • Psionic scan. It works like a combination of both, as it's real-time, circular and not limited by either lighting or obstacles. Used by Ethereals, Sectoid leaders/commanders, and I think Silacoids and Celatids too.

I don't know what Cyberdiscs and Sectopods use, but I guess just sight (probably night vision).

Yeah, Mind Probe would be much more attractive if it could function similarly to a motion scanner. Naturally, it'd invalidate the motion scanner in most cases; however, robotic units (Cyberdiscs, Sectopods and HWPs) wouldn't show on the Probe.

Also, I suggest we change the thread's topic to reflect the fact it's about detection/visibility, please.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:27:17 am »
I'm using knives on them regularly, they die like little girls they are in close combat. :P

Then those knives are overpowered... :P
Nerf NERF!!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 02:19:17 pm »
Then those knives are overpowered... :P
Nerf NERF!!

Not really - Power 60. I'm just such a great commander. :P

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 02:49:56 pm »
Not really - Power 60. I'm just such a great commander. :P

Power 60 seems too strong, if you consider other weapons... :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 03:29:17 pm »
Power 60 seems too strong, if you consider other weapons... :P

It all depends on how you look at it... It would be nice if there were two attack modes, with one being significantly stronger but also costly in TU - sort of a "sneak attack"...
Fine, fine. I'll make it 40. :P And let's get back on topic before we're blaster bombed.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas from laser squad / Laser Squad nemesis - Sight range / Detection
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »
No big deal.  I can change it as necessary.  There were knives in the original laser squad.  Wish they had more close combat options in xcom.