aliens

Author Topic: [CONVERSION] Higher resolution  (Read 77757 times)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Higher resolution mod
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2014, 04:43:37 am »
One thing for debriefing (I know, it's later, but still) that would make me happy is showing stat improvements. Something like, line by line:

Soldier A  +1  0  0  +2  0  0 ...
Soldier B    0  0 +1   0  ...

with column titles on top, of course, so you know what the numbers are for.

one thing i do want to do is not make it look like a bunch of numbers plastered all over the place, we have to make it look like it was meant to be there ;)
this looks allright but sadly to my likeing its 2 pastell and mute collored witch makes it seam blury to me and it could be nestalgia or soemthing i like the pixle art more
the truth is that i do not see the difference, however if you can see it maybe you can fix it, I am no artist and this artwork was taken from another user, if you could create proper pallete artwork in this resolution that will be great :) Also i do not see the difference because i am color blind so they look great to me :D

here is a new little update, I realized there is a small bug, i am missing two labels on the screen.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2014, 06:41:15 am »
one thing i do want to do is not make it look like a bunch of numbers plastered all over the place, we have to make it look like it was meant to be there ;)

Oh.. hum.. Yes. I can see your point about numbers not looking like they were meant to be there. Hopefully we could find a way, since I think that would be a great addition to a debriefing, experience being the most valuable thing you get out of a fight (tied with loot, maybe..)

As for the update, it still looks to me like the inventory is too far to the top-left. You have much more space between it and the stats than between the inventory and the left edge of the screen, and lots of space under while little above. Do you have something you want to put in the lower space?

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2014, 07:47:06 am »
Oh.. hum.. Yes. I can see your point about numbers not looking like they were meant to be there. Hopefully we could find a way, since I think that would be a great addition to a debriefing, experience being the most valuable thing you get out of a fight (tied with loot, maybe..)

Well if we come up with a nice depiction or maybe a mock up we can work from there, clearly this will be much later as i am still trying to learn a lot of things about programming, and work is always a trying to take me away from OXC, but don't worry i won't let it :)

As for the update, it still looks to me like the inventory is too far to the top-left. You have much more space between it and the stats than between the inventory and the left edge of the screen, and lots of space under while little above. Do you have something you want to put in the lower space?
well the reason is that this is where the ammo item is located, originally i wanted to rotate the item 90 degress that way i can lower everything, the reason why teh ammo needs such a large space is for rockets since they are a 1 x 3 sprite maybe there is an easy way to rotate it, maybe is hidden function in OXC :)

We will see, also this give us space for somthing else, you know people always looking for a place to crash :)

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD] Higher resolution
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2014, 06:50:02 am »
Ok since i am a little tired of working on the BattlescapeState and InventoryState I started playing with the debriefingState, and thanks to SupSuper and Warboy I have made little progress, the only issue  I have is that .holly cow there is so much space!!!!!!!!

Ideas are welcome, I am however going to incorporate Shoes Record tracking mod as a main part of my Mod so medals and all that will be included, where you ask?  i have no idea yet.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2014, 07:15:18 am »
Lots of space..! That means lots of potential :D

What about.. Displaying the number of hits by soldiers (don't display the ones who did not hit any alien), since that's what governs XP gain. Even better, make it so you can click on the soldiers in that list, bring up their stat page on the right side and see what they gained (Gains from the last mission could be shown in a different colour from the overall gains).

You can also add kills, and which weapon did the hit/kill, to tie in with the commendation mod which store that information.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2014, 08:13:16 am »
I do want to put more info, but remember this is a debriefing screen not a management screen, so we will only display information pertaining to the mission that just complete, we will have a little more infomation like
List of promotions
List of awards
list of casualties
List of Wounded? :S

I know what you are saying and i love stats also, but we need to keep it clutter free :) "less is more" "KISS" (Keep it...)
I want to display information in a nice clear manner, we can add a few things here and there but i am not planning on adding any type of actions to the screen line selecting soldier or other stuff. I hope you see my perspective.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2014, 08:30:27 am »
Not even in a button..? :(

Nah, I see your point. I guess I'm just addicted to XP/Stat and progression ;)

I think a list of wounded, with how long they will be wounded for, would be a great addition to the other things you mentioned.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2014, 08:38:11 am »
and a little something to satiate your thirst for more.

is very early but i figure i should post it so you know we are making progress

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2014, 09:15:58 am »
This might be useful for expanding the base building space to allow more total facilities. I wish I knew how to code stuff, but I'm willing to help in any way I can.

Offline Paddywhacker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2014, 11:54:34 am »
About the reluset, as it is right now all the grids can be adjusted via the ruleset except for the ground grid. However, my version is no longer compatible with OXC hence i am calling it OXCHR :O dont' worry one day i will come up with a cooler name :)

Now seriously my code is about 2 months behind the basecode, and doesn't include a lot of features that have been added, specifically doesn't include the modable GUI, ...

So, basically, you have forked the project and you are working on your own branch.  As the main branch has adjustable positioning for the GUI, it just has to implement adjustable font and size to catch up with what you have here.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2014, 12:14:13 pm »
So, basically, you have forked the project and you are working on your own branch.  As the main branch has adjustable positioning for the GUI, it just has to implement adjustable font and size to catch up with what you have here.
Thats not quite correct
the code defines whats in each screen and what happens if you click on buttons/press specific keys,... the "adjustable positioning" can only handle position (+size) and colors not more
so to combine e.g. all 3 base info screens into one basescreen you need to redefine what the basescreen can do
and that can not be done via ruleset the putting x/y/width/heifgt/colors into the rulset is just tedious work and i am all for making every button rulbased so i can have a mod 2xscalebattlscape+150%fontsize that changes the items good for that scale/resolution/fontconfig  but making the same functionality available on different screens needs some thoughts and planing to avoid code duplication so good luck getting it done

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:02 pm »
Hey xracer, I saw you sent me a message on IRC looking to merge my mod into your work. It's possible to do it through git. I'll lay down some broad descriptions here and we can go over on IRC this weekend ;p

So you will create a new branch, so you should have :
master (supsuper's branch, it is vanilla)
xracer (your 'master' branch with your mod)

You will need to add my repo as a remote, in the same way you have a "upstream" and "origin" remote repos. I forget how to do this, but let's say you do it and you call my repo "shoes"

You will checkout master and then "git checkout -b medals" to create a copy of master called 'medals'. You will "git pull shoes alpha_release" which will fetch my branch containing my mod and merge it into master. There will probably be some conflicts because I haven't updated my mod in a long time. If you wait for me to do this, it will be less work for you.

Afterwards, you will want to "git checkout xracer" and "git checkout -b xracermedals" to create a copy of your working branch ready to merge my work into it. Then, "git merge medals" and deal with the conflicts.

It's that easy!

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2014, 05:22:50 pm »
This might be useful for expanding the base building space to allow more total facilities.
Yes it is possible but that will truly require a significant amount of work, at this point will be beyond the scope of the current conversion, but hey if someone has the skills to do it we can add 1 row and 1 column just to give you extra space beyond that i think is too much.
I wish I knew how to code stuff, but I'm willing to help in any way I can.
You and me both my friend, you and me both. What is your skill set maybe you are "an artist savant" and never knew about it.

Yes, i have forked it and like i knew from the beginning my code will not be compatible with basecode. The main branch has mod-able GUI but this means you can adjust location and maybe size of items.  But it just doesn't end there there are a gizillion updates, fixes from like 50 people on the main basecode, and they touch on just about every part of the game.

Like Falko state, the difference between what i am doing and a mod-able GUI is drastic. The current branch will retain all its states but allow you to move them around and resize them, however you cannot add functionality to those state (without code adjustments). My version is basically removing redundant functionality and putting several states into a single state.

Thus I have the main BaseViewState from there i will have let say the BaseInfoState, which includes Baseinfostate, trasnsferstate, storesstate and monthlycoststate, rolled into a single state, such that when you click the baseinfostate all that information will be available in a single single screen, instead of clicking one then click ok then click another then Ok and so on, i am trying to remove tedious going back and forth, without changing the functionality of the screens.

Warboy has thought me how to create multiple windows in a single screen and having all areas remain active. And SupSuper has mentioned the approach of superstates to allow childstates in teh same window, I am not sure which approach is the best or even the better one, I will right now do the simpler thing which is create my child state, and then we will see how we can bring those into the main state.

Baseinfostate
Soldierstate
buildfacilitystate
researchstate
manufacturestate
transferstate
purchaserecruitstate
sellsackstate

We are here for the long haul ladies, so zip your fanny packs, grab an MRE and lets get moving.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:29:21 pm by xracer »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2014, 05:24:57 pm »
It's that easy!
You lost me at

"It's possible to do it through git"

:S
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:48:36 pm by xracer »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [CONVERSION] Higher resolution
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:52 am »
You gave me an idea : clone your working branch and name it like "newOXC-test", and then I will pull it and work my magic and merge my mod to it, then I will make a pull request and if all works, you will just have to press "yes" and voilĂ , the commendations mod will be inside your mod.

Assuming it's not a headache for me to merge it all ;p