Author Topic: BASE LAYOUT  (Read 8797 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
BASE LAYOUT
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:51:00 pm »
Hello,
 I would like to see the Base layout expanded in  Geoscape .

Random event like a room collapse or discovering some rock that you cant dig through when placing some objects would be a nice start, as seeing EVERYONE uses the same base layout is stupid ( and boring) .

Also the option to add new features would be cool , like Tunnels between block instead of just having rooms side by side, also add-on like BLAST DOORs , security towers etc could really change Base  design and Defence missions a little more exciting and increase the Human requirements also , like have some gyms , shower blocks etc

Lets face it , base defence missions are easy, run to aircraft bay , through biggest explosive through door , Hide and repeat as needed >:(.  i thought this was a tactical game ::)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:53:37 pm by luke83 »

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: BASE LAYOUT
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »
Blast doors would be cool and some turrets?
Turrets wouldn't be able to move but have high reactions and low accuracy.
Different versions: mini gun turrets, rocket turrets, laser turrets and plasma turrets. ^^

And yeah I always wondered about showers and gyms too...
Well soldiers get enough exercise fighting aliens but at least add showers. XD
And add a sickbay with wounded soldiers that are unable to fight, just laying in bed...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:35 pm »
Just reading some of the advancements Apocalypse had and it generated a few new options/ possibility within my head to make the game more difficult/interesting.

Possibility to loose some support staff during evacuations ( Cars targeted as alien ship approach , humans stuck in elevators when aliens enter ,etc)
Distance of Lift compared to work/sleep areas factors into number of humans can be lost
Multiply Lifts to allow more civilians to escape but as a side effect, more enemy entry options

scale up existing base map blocks from 10x10 blocks to 20x20 , make existing 20x20 blocks 30x30

Allow for multiply layouts of every map block option but unlike my Multiply UFO ( that rotate randomly) once a facility is built , have that facility layout saved for any future base defence.

Possible Map blocks

10x10:

Lifts, N-S Tunnel , E-W Tunnel, Cross road tunnel , Tunnels with Lockable Gates ( that can be destroyed)

20x20:
Existing SMALL buildings , Underground Car park ( acts like LIFT with additional benefits), Medical bay, security points

30x30 :
 Existing Large buildings , some Large versions of small buildings.

downside is, this map would potentially be HUGE to play

People could then make a Interesting environment , choose where to group buildings together and where to leave walkways and bottle necks for enemy attack , also with Surprise options like Hard rock when you try to build on some locations, it will make you rethink some of your plans.

Also i want to be able to view my Base, without waiting for a battle....... Its about LOVE for me :P
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:46:07 pm by luke83 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »
Also i want to be able to view my Base, without waiting for a battle....... Its about LOVE for me :P

perhaps the possibility to play a "training exercise" mock battle within your base? "alien" decoy dummies placed at random points within the base need to be found and destroyed. could even allow these to increase your soldier's skill levels, but perhaps at the cost of effectively disabling your base for a few hours afterwards (halting research and manufacturing, grounding your aircraft etc) to account for de-briefing and cleaning.

I love the idea of civilian personnel in base defense missions. I'm unsure wether they should be AI controlled or wether you should be able to move them... moving them yourself could become tedious, but I would be more pissed if half my scientists got killed due to stupid AI decisions...

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:03:42 pm »
Since waiting for a coder to add new facilities for us might take forever, how about using the same base map blocks and adding medbays, gyms, showers to them? The bottom floor doesn't have to be empty corridors with boring office rooms like vanilla has it. Xenonauts has it done nicely:
https://xenonauts.com/devimages/GiantBase.jpg (Huge Screen)

I don't think they have a top floor though.

Like say, the Living Quarters. Bottom floors converted to showers and toilets. Top floor is beds by default, which can stay the same.

General Stores bottom floor can be converted into a sickbay. The bottom floor of the Research labs can be turned into a Gym just to piss off the scientists lol jk.

I really love the idea of crossing through a rock tunnel in base. These unbreakable rocks would make for interesting base layouts and also cool factor when crossing through them in Base Defense. Add some ambient cave sounds when you're viewing the rock tunnel map block. Also add rock tunnels that have deep pits as another reason to be unable to build on them, so you can create a bridge to cross from one side to the other. Great ideas Luke! Put them together!

Add an option for OXC to enable unbreakable rocks and how many [random] base blocks do you want them to be in. You can even choose 100% random, so you won't know at all how many you might come across.

Blast door add-on, yessssssssss!

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:15 pm »

I love the idea of civilian personnel in base defense missions. I'm unsure wether they should be AI controlled or wether you should be able to move them... moving them yourself could become tedious, but I would be more pissed if half my scientists got killed due to stupid AI decisions...

I don't want to move them myself but being able to give Civilians simply instructions would make a big difference, "Stay here", "Follow me", "Hide" then let the AI control them. Doing this, you could then let Moral have more a impact on them to , do they follow your orders or do they freakout and run off?

"Since waiting for a coder to add new facilities for us might take forever"  Pretty sure Warboy already setup code to handle one new facility ( it was listed in the modding section once i will have to look for it again but i was thinking it was a medical bay) so it didn't sound like it was a HUGE job to do.

"Like say, the Living Quarters. Bottom floors converted to showers and toilets. Top floor is beds by default, which can stay the same."
  yes i thought about this, problem is, the missions will still take place mostly on the one level, apart from spawning, right now there is nothing fun to do on level 2 as its just jammed full of the rooms "assets".

Other than having ingame support and the Tunnels blocks supported via Instant battles, i think we could potentially trial these LARGER BLOCKS now within the rulesets , maybe i should make 2-3 blocks as a test????  ( With the new version of Mapview PMPROG has fixed, mapbuilding doesn't take much effort or time to do,  WeownTheNight , have you thought of having a go yourself yet? )
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:12:25 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 02:54:46 pm »
Just playing around with some Tunnels ( Now sized at 5X5) and started to make a 15x15 room as a for a Living Quarters , level shown would end up as kitchen area. Above and below could have some shower facilitates and Bunks. i would prefer several version of every mapblock IF i went ahead with this topic but i need a way to place tunnels and some rules to block  tunnel placments on locations on of some corners to increase variety of layouts.

Yes i know these are ODD sizes but it keeps the map a little smaller than my previous selections and give you more freedom for tunnel building .

This is just a concept up for discussion , i would prefer not to get to side tracked from my current 2 projects , UFO's and FOXC, besides there must be another mapbuilder floating around these forums somewhere?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:59:16 pm by luke83 »