Author Topic: Czech translation  (Read 12454 times)

Offline Mortal

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Czech translation
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:21:32 pm »
late :)

I have started translate trunk/bin/DATA/Languages/English.lng into Czech.lng.
I am testing directly in-game renaming Czech.lng to English.lng, in start seem to work. But now I have translate done* and I see that there is something wrong. OpenXcom cant find some strings:

WARNING: STR_NEW_GAME not found in ENGLISH
WARNING: STR_LOAD_SAVED_GAME not found in ENGLISH
WARNING: STR_QUIT not found in ENGLISH
WARNING: STR_1_BEGINNER not found in ENGLISH
WARNING: STR_2_EXPERIENCED not found in ENGLISH
WARNING: STR_3_VETERAN not found in ENGLISH
WARNING: STR_4_GENIUS not found in ENGLISH

but not all.
How can I check syntax of LNG file and find error?
https://www.korous.net/openxcom/Czech.lng

*) without utf8 characters, only with characters from ISO-8859-1, I will fix it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:38:25 pm by michal »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Czech translation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:13:06 pm »
Do not translate the LNGs directly. It's not a text-editor-friendly format and will lead to errors like you just did (you deleted a NULL character after STR_ITALY). You should use the TXT file I posted in the guidelines.
Plus there's no guarantees that the LNG format won't be changed later on and that direct conversions will work since the game itself doesn't fully support Unicode yet, it's all still in development.

Anyways here's the fixed file in TXT format.

Offline lordfrikk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:33 pm »
SupSuper:

Just wanted to point out one thing. As you may be aware, there are a number of differences between Czech (among other similar languages) and English language, one of which is that Czech language tends to use a number of different words where there is one in English. I noticed it when I spotted that you're using some of the string identifiers in multiple locations in game, such as with VERY HIGH/HIGH/MEDIUM/LOW/VERY LOW describing strength as well as altitude. Unfortunately, if we were to use the same word in Czech it would look unnatural. Example:

In English:

Strength: High
Altitude: High

In Czech:

S

Offline bramcor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:44 pm »
SupSuper:

Just wanted to point out one thing. As you may be aware, there are a number of differences between Czech (among other similar languages) and English language, one of which is that Czech language tends to use a number of different words where there is one in English. I noticed it when I spotted that you're using some of the string identifiers in multiple locations in game, such as with VERY HIGH/HIGH/MEDIUM/LOW/VERY LOW describing strength as well as altitude. Unfortunately, if we were to use the same word in Czech it would look unnatural. Example:

In English:

Strength: High
Altitude: High

In Czech:

S

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:18:04 pm »
There is no "strength". GROUND/VERY LOW/LOW/HIGH/VERY HIGH only represents altitude, the other attribute you might be mixing it up with is size, which goes VERY SMALL/SMALL/MEDIUM/LARGE/VERY LARGE so there's no conflict.

Let me know if you spot anything else like this though, since I did get rid of duplicates in the X-Com language files which might've caused ambiguity in other languages.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:01:15 pm by SupSuper »

Offline lordfrikk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 04:48:03 pm »
I stand corrected, SupSuper :P Looking at it now, I have no idea how I got the idea in the first place. Oh, well... I'll let you know if I find anything else during the translation.

Offline Mortal

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:37:59 pm »
finished czech translation
I have used translation for original game from Roman Janik.

Offline todor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:33:32 pm »
Hi there.

Since nothing was done on Czech translation for several months, I've decided to translate it. Include is the translated .lng which is based on a version from today's git push. It's completely translated, working (I'd say mostly, I don't have any late game save to test everything). But I'll correct any typo/error if found, no prob there.

I have three extra comments though:
First - There are some naming "conventions" especially names of alien races that were established long time ago with Czech translation of original  XCOM. They are lacking in many way (as the orig. translation was). I would suggest to get rid of them and turned the names back to original English ones, but since they are with us for almost 20 years, many gamers could be used to them already and I play the game in English anyway, so I let it on Czech players here. Guys, what it's going to be? Sektochod or Sektopod? Párač or Reaper?  :)
Second - we have two names for months that are ambivalent when cut down to three letters, so it would make sense to replace them with numbers... but I've remarked that there are (at least) two usage of names of the months - in Geoscape and in Graphs visualization. While in Geoscape there is enough space to put the whole name in there, in Graph vis. there are just two or three letter available. That on the other hand would be perfect for numerical representation. So my suggestion is to split text strings for Geo and Graphs.  What do you think?
Third - we have also several noun forms based on how many of them there are -  example: 1 soldier (voják), 2,3,4 soldiers (vojáci), 5+ soldiers (vojáků). Same goes for civilians, aliens and tanks. I haven't found string text for mission debriefings, where the causalities are shown.  There is just one version text that just sound weird. Could that be changed?

Cheers,
Todor

Offline todor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »
It seems that two new items were added to .lng file, STR_ARROWS and STR_FULL in the meantime. So I've used this as chance to correct few typos.
Todor

Offline P.J.Trewor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 02:04:02 am »
I've finished czech translation for TFTD. I've used old MS-DOS translation, unfortunately I don't know the name of the original translation author. Czech translation has now 100% translated strings.  In the meantime I'm correcting EU strings (consistency, length, etc). I'm also very intrested in the UFO redux mod and I'm considering to translate it to Czech.

Je tu někdo z česka, kdo tuhle hru hraje? Chtěl bych ponechat původní počeštěný názvy cizáků a předmětů, myslím, že jsou skvěle přeložený, ale některý výrazy bych změnil (nebo jsem už změnil) a chtěl bych to s někým prokonzultovat.