Author Topic: Tank mounts?  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Tank mounts?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 07:06:06 pm »
If a soldier can carry a blaster launcher and several blaster bombs for it without being slowed down, I highly doubt that a tank, weighing far more than any soldier, would be slowed down even marginally by such a weapon.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:19 pm »
If a soldier can carry a blaster launcher and several blaster bombs for it without being slowed down, I highly doubt that a tank, weighing far more than any soldier, would be slowed down even marginally by such a weapon.

True. Tanks are mostly slowed down by armour, if anything.

And alien weapons in general are ultra light :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 09:52:06 pm »
Well, that was just an idea for a mechanism to allow versatility for scout tanks while maintaining balance.

For that matter: is it possible to limit a "hand" slot in the inventory so that only 1x2-weapons can be equipped? Or only 1x3? That could be used for light and medium tanks...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 09:59:32 pm »
is it possible to limit a "hand" slot in the inventory so that only 1x2-weapons can be equipped? Or only 1x3?

Everything is possible with new code... :)
With just a ruleset, I don't think so. :(

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »
I really think that maintaining simplicity here is key. The idea is, tank chassis and weapons would be independent of each other. Of course there would be a variable that defines whether a weapon can be mounted on a tank, and I also think tanks should be able to have two weapons.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »
I really think that maintaining simplicity here is key. The idea is, tank chassis and weapons would be independent of each other. Of course there would be a variable that defines whether a weapon can be mounted on a tank, and I also think tanks should be able to have two weapons.

A technicall detail, but I think it's the turret which would have either one or two weapons. The weapon would take either one or two "slots" on a turret, much like it can be either one-handed or two-handed (perhaps even the same flag can e used).

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 10:37:35 pm »
I think turrets would have to be defined as a whole new type of item.

How about this:

Code: [Select]
items:
 - type: STR_TURRET_ROCKET_CANNON
   weapons:
      - STR_ROCKET_LAUNCHER
      - STR_HEAVY_CANNON

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 11:49:19 pm »
okay, we have several concepts here, but I think we all agree that tank chassis and tank turret should be separate items that can be combined at will, right?

now here's a damage comparison:

Heavy Cannon: 56    vs    Tank/Cannon: 60
Small/Large Rocket: 75/100     vs     Tank/Rocket Launcher: 85
Heavy Laser: 85     vs     Tank/Laser Cannon: 110
Heavy Plasma: 115    vs     Hovertank/Plasma: 110
Blaster Launcher: 200     vs     Hovertank/Launcher: 140

I have to admit, some of these surprised me. Especially the fact that the Tank/Laser Cannon appears overpowered, while the Hovertank/Plasma and Hovertank/Launcher appear underpowered.
As for me, I would set the tank weapons to the same values of the hand-held weapons... the HWPs win by sheer armor+hitpoints+accuracy+ability-to-carry-heavy-weapons-without-being-slowed-to-a-crawl against rookies.
I would also cut back on ammunition for the Hovertank/Plasma, because I still prefer the idea that the HWPs are simply equipped with standard weapons with ammo feed mechanisms.

I also like the idea of using the "Two-Handed" flag to prevent "light tanks" from using heavy weapons.

just my 2 cents :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 12:04:56 am »
okay, we have several concepts here, but I think we all agree that tank chassis and tank turret should be separate items that can be combined at will, right?

Yes! :)

the HWPs win by sheer armor+hitpoints+accuracy+ability-to-carry-heavy-weapons-without-being-slowed-to-a-crawl against rookies.

Also near-unlimited ammo. That's in fact very convenient.