Author Topic: [GLOBE] Improved Nations Mod  (Read 80866 times)

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Nations Mod
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 12:18:59 am »
Latest ruleset as of 5 PM today -- added a rough draft of Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Offline Hadan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 06:20:22 pm »
Looks really good. I will give this a spin as soon as you declare your mod fit for everyday use.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 07:44:21 am »
holy diana batman !

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 10:42:54 am »
I like this! It gives you the feeling of a more populated planet - something alive and worth fighting for.

I think it's time for a ruleset that allows crashed UFOs in city battlescapes :) perhaps with an x% chance if the crash happens within y kilometers (or miles) of a major city? this would simulate areas of dense population... I wonder if that would be possible... SupSuper? Anybody? is it possible to determine something like "distance to nearest city" on the geoscape? and if so, is it possible to make the game choose an "urban" terrain with a certain chance?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 11:54:29 am »
I like this! It gives you the feeling of a more populated planet - something alive and worth fighting for.

I think it's time for a ruleset that allows crashed UFOs in city battlescapes :) perhaps with an x% chance if the crash happens within y kilometers (or miles) of a major city? this would simulate areas of dense population... I wonder if that would be possible... SupSuper? Anybody? is it possible to determine something like "distance to nearest city" on the geoscape? and if so, is it possible to make the game choose an "urban" terrain with a certain chance?

This would be awesome if we had a few different types of cities to use, right now i can only think of 3 different varieties, i love to do another one, but i cant do it all :P.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:40 am »
Latest version, a few more cities; now works with latest nightly.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 06:13:11 am »
Latest version, a few more cities; now works with latest nightly.

do i simply replace the old ruleset with this one? or do i need to make the current one use this one too, if the latter, how do i do this?

excited to try, will report any bugs that i find

EDIT: nevermind i figured it out
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:23:30 am by MFive »

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 07:02:05 pm »
Hi, MK - Great work
I've done before some diggings myself thanks to UFOpaedia .... errrr, WIKIpedia ;D ;D, and, here you are, if you wish to add them (some of them are already in) - took them from queries like top x cities in y (please note all coordinates are somehow rounded as what is found - didn't check the latests versions though - in the original ruleset as fractions of x/8)
Sadly, didn't find anything in Antarctica.  :-\...

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 08:22:53 pm »
aLiens TeRRoRize... Vostok

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:44 pm »
That would turn Mother Russia angry indeed...
Poor aliens...

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 02:11:40 am »
aLiens TeRRoRize... Vostok

Oh man...you could actually do that pretty easily in XCOM with a custom tileset called ARCTICSTATION using some of the existing arctic tileset; combined with one or two new baseblocks. Best part is... it'd be virtually a 1:1 representation of VOSTOK.  8)

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 04:42:42 am »
Latest version with 99% of gix' stuff -- I had to delete one or two cities, because the map was too crowded at that locational area, even at maximum zoom.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 06:05:43 am »
will update, no problems so far, but i wonder, do you plan on adding funding for the nations that you add? (not a whole lot, but something to show the player that they are in the game) also,do the new nations get graphs with this mod? if there are supposed to, they don't for me

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 06:53:13 am »
You should start a new game to see them. As SupSuper stated, there is some work to be done for the graphs to be fully functional.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 06:58:53 am »
will update, no problems so far, but i wonder, do you plan on adding funding for the nations that you add? (not a whole lot, but something to show the player that they are in the game)

At some point, I'll get around to doing funding for the nations in the game. The problem is finding a proper metric that balances the game, to avoid the fact that the US defense budget is 40%+ of world defense spending.