Author Topic: Old XCOM Tools and OpenXcom  (Read 6173 times)

Offline Zane Wolfe

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Old XCOM Tools and OpenXcom
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:36:39 pm »
New here so this is my first post. I have a decent collection of tools that I used for XCOM: UFO Defense. I suspect that some of them wont work anymore, like XCOM Util, but will any of the others? I have a few save editors, as well as a couple that could alter the core files themselves. Given that you have a new type of save file, I am not sure those would work. But what about the ones that altered the core game files themselves? Stuff like changing the stats on weapons and such. Would those work with OpenXcom since it uses core files from the orignal game?

Secondly, though somewhat off topic, I have the Steam version of XCOM, as well as the old XCOM CE for Win98. Of the pair which would work best with OpenXcom?

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Old XCOM Tools and OpenXcom
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »
If you are looking to mod item/unit stats or save files, you are in luck! They are all written in human readable YAML format. Find the /data/Ruleset file and open that up: you will find all the numbers used in the game. Your save file is found in My Documents/OpenXCom and you can open that up and mod what you like. This is from memory, but I think I have the locations correct.

As for which version of the game: all that is reused is art assets I think, so both would be identical. Also there is a patch in the download links for a patch that I think you will need.

There are also a ton additional options in the game that might replicate a lot of the XCOM Utils functions. Take a look.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: Old XCOM Tools and OpenXcom
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:11:10 pm »
You can edit YAML files with any text editor, even with the humble Windows Notepad.

However, in order to be able to properly edit YAML files, you should use a text editor that supports YAML and code-folding, like Notepad++.

Check this page for a quickstart session regarding YAML and OXC.

As for the advanced options (the OXC equivalent of XCOM Util / UFO Extender) check out this list (the list may be incomplete, and more options may appear in the future).