Author Topic: So what do you think of the firaxis Xcom 12'?  (Read 12027 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
So what do you think of the firaxis Xcom 12'?
« on: August 20, 2013, 05:10:43 pm »
Fun game, but I would have liked to see a different system, maybe a damage system like the original.  I like the idea of double digit figures for armour ratings and all.  Maybe even some greater personalization.

Anything you would have liked to see in it?

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: So what do you think of the firaxis Xcom 12'?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:49:22 pm »
It was neat, and I don't regret buying it, but I don't see myself playing it again now that we have a version of the original that works without fuss.

All the streamlining cut out a lot of customization and depth, and there's nothing I like more than figuring out a system and tweaking it to my liking.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:12:55 am »
pretty soon we will just dismiss EU 2012 as we have dismiss After**** as being part of the XCOM family :)

On their own they are "nice" games but they are second cousin far removed from X-COM :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:17:14 am by xracer »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:01:46 am »
We already had a thread about it: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,357.0.html

I forgot if I ever posted my thoughts on it, but long story short I liked it. :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:30:10 am »
Played it at my friend's house when it came out. I hated it at first, but I kinda enjoyed it a tiny tiny bit :) and I finished it once, so it's forgotten.

Should start a topic about the new XCOM game. Probably trash too. I won't be playing it :D unless my friend buys it.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 04:22:30 pm »
Check the gamefaqs for an update.  There seems to be a major update, they just launched some major expansion today, 21st Aug.  Guess I'll buy it, to think I was trying to restart the game 2 weeks ago with the slingshot expansion...

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 06:46:34 pm »
Will have to wait until all new Enemy Within units are retextured military style and Toolboks + Merciless gets enhanced or other awesome MODs take their place. Say, the mods will be playable by 2013 January? :)

Offline Man in the Funny Hat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:31:35 pm »
I enjoyed it enough I suppose but I have a lot more complaints for it than praise.  Had a couple really irritating bugs.  Aliens "teleporting" behind you.  Not displaying and calculating cover properly was a particular issue.  Instead of building it up to an even bigger game they pared it down to just the ground assaults.  The 80-item limit was bad enough in the original game but limiting you to 6 troops and having to choose between say, bringing a grenade or putting a scope on your rifle was just intolerable and unrealistic restriction.  No control over what "class" of trooper would be when you hire replacements (hard to rush across open ground or snipe if the game flat won't allow you to have the troops who can do it.)  Small, restrictive levels not randomly assembled but DESIGNED to give aliens all the advantages and force you to abandon tactics just to move forward.  Played it through to finish at a med difficulty and haven't really done anything with it since.

Offline Charly1

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 12:20:27 am »
I never played it. The limit in troops really put me off.

I always loved xcom because you were fighting a war, not a series of skirmishes, and with expendable grunts. Anyone can die at any time. Even the best armour can buckle to a stray plasma round. Or half your squad lost to a single blaster bomb moments from stepping off the ship. Yes its disheartening, but you have 50 men to replace those once you get back to base.

ANd the ground assaults are only half of the game, the resource management was superb, and it seems most of that has been lost (one base, wtf?)

I just look at the new xcom and see the UFO series, or Commandos. It does nothing for me. I know a lot of people say its great, and I might enjoy it at some stage. I was just massively disappointed that it seems to have been dumbed down, and after the disappointment with Civ5, I sorta lost faith.

Offline KakiHasTheHybridChild

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:51:52 am »
Greetings, I recently posted my feelings about this game on the Unity forums, only to be told that consumer views can be expressed elswhere and my post deleted.
I make games to teach Japanese kids English, and while that is far from squad tactical simulations, WHY can't I shoot and then run? WHY can I only have one item (ONLY F%*KN' ONE!?) ?? WHY can't an assault 'class' soldier pull a trigger on an LMG, or a sniper point a shotgun in the general direction of a nearby enemy??? Never use pistols? Well F$#K you, you will forego the extra grenade and carry one anyway!???? Need more engineers/scientists? F$&K NO!!! Be happy with what you are given, even if it screws you. You can't choose a strategy. WHY NOT?????
If I made a game in which children had to find letters in alphabetical order to finish the game, then I guess they would play it once. maybe.
If i made a game which required kids to find letters of the alphabet and put them in the correct slots in a wall, but each letter gave them a new 'power', they could find the letters in any order, put them in in any order, and decide on tactics based on their (next) plan, the next time they try to beat the game.
When I finished the game, i just started playing the first mission with all rookies again and again, and trying out different tactics. I am yet to start the game properly for another go. It is a good tactical game, but it isn't X-COM.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 06:33:05 am »
Long story short, $$money rules over the industry suits with an iron fist.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:41 am »
Yeah....  micropose went down.  They came up with some amazing games in the 90's....

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 05:22:04 pm »
the new game has some nice features but its buggier then the original for me... :(

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 11:39:02 pm »
It's a great game but it's not like the original trilogy. It's more like a customisable game of chess which makes it fun. The unrealistic approach of the game with limited squad-members and items and even movement being 2-stage makes it a completely different game from the original but it does make it easier to balance.

The two games are only alike in name and some story, completely different gameplay that you can't even compare the two. If you buy and play XCOM:EU it's no reason to not buy/play UFO:EU and vice versa, two different games which fill two different niches.

EDIT:

The "expansion" is annoying though as it's not actually an expansion, it's a slight reboot of the game just adding a few different gameplay features and more environments/enemies. It is stand-alone though so if you are thinking of buying XCOM: EU just hold off and buy the expansion "Enemy Within" instead.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:41:46 pm by Sharp »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 01:51:07 am »
EDIT:

The "expansion" is annoying though as it's not actually an expansion, it's a slight reboot of the game just adding a few different gameplay features and more environments/enemies. It is stand-alone though so if you are thinking of buying XCOM: EU just hold off and buy the expansion "Enemy Within" instead.
Isn't that the definition of an expansion? :P And AFAIK it's only standalone on consoles.