aliens

Author Topic: Soldier salaries?  (Read 14436 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Soldier salaries?
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:03:34 pm »
Not sure what happens but I would imagine its a fixed cost regardless of what ranks you have right?  If it is, would it be worth while to create higher salaries for high ranks?  That might make it preferable to stick with smaller teams?  Imagine if you had multiple colonels, especially the unskilled ones....  Include a high pay and you'll want to 'fire' them yourself....

Offline Man in the Funny Hat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier salaries?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:25:42 pm »
Not sure what happens but I would imagine its a fixed cost regardless of what ranks you have right?  If it is, would it be worth while to create higher salaries for high ranks?  That might make it preferable to stick with smaller teams?  Imagine if you had multiple colonels, especially the unskilled ones....  Include a high pay and you'll want to 'fire' them yourself....
I believe salaries for soldiers is $20,000 each regardless of rank.  It would kinda make sense that they should require more pay as they are promoted - but if you're really so worried about their pay that you want to restrict yourself to smaller, un-promoted troops then I think you're playing it wrong.  :)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:18:42 am »
minor feature, just a thought.  Realistically, otherwise what's the advantage of being an officer?  From their perspective...

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:32:16 am »
Well a lot of new guys get $40,000 from me just to show up and then get fired for having the bravery of a squirrel.  You could look at it as that they know what they're signing up for.  Officers just get better treatment (better armor and weapon, no suicide rush-the-alien orders, etc.)  :)

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:10:32 am »
Well a lot of new guys get $40,000 from me just to show up and then get fired for having the bravery of a squirrel.

Any one with the bravery of a squirrel are point men and suicide bombers, they die first... ^^
That way I can boost the bravery of my actual soldiers even more XD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:55:59 pm »
Any one with the bravery of a squirrel are point men and suicide bombers, they die first... ^^
That way I can boost the bravery of my actual soldiers even more XD
Well I'm not always consistent with what I do with them, but for the most part I just don't even want them around.  They are a serious liability.  They panic and run away when morale slides and steady hands are most needed.  They go berserk and kill the valuable, brave ones who are NOT throw-aways.  Yeah I don't feel badly when they get killed, but when they get OTHERS killed...   That's why I generally immediately fire anyone with less than 30 bravery - and the ones with 30 bravery are still not very trustworthy.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:30:26 pm »
Well I'm not always consistent with what I do with them, but for the most part I just don't even want them around.  They are a serious liability.  They panic and run away when morale slides and steady hands are most needed.  They go berserk and kill the valuable, brave ones who are NOT throw-aways.  Yeah I don't feel badly when they get killed, but when they get OTHERS killed...   That's why I generally immediately fire anyone with less than 30 bravery - and the ones with 30 bravery are still not very trustworthy.

Low morale troopers on the front lines and always out line of the good troopers =3

They make good spotters, if you go for the very popular "spot and snipe" tactic... ;)
Spotters run draw reaction fire and you're good morale snipers pick the aliens off. And if your sniper fail to kill one or two aliens, the low morale troopers can have a go at it.

I paid 40 grant for them, dammit! Any use is better then no use... ;)

So no armour, first ones out the Skyranger, on the front, being meat shields and always out of sight of the good troops.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:29:50 am »
I feel the same way you guys do about low psi strength guys...  Morale ain't so much of a problem but psi strength 90+ gets flying suits....

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 12:19:10 pm »
minor feature, just a thought.  Realistically, otherwise what's the advantage of being an officer?  From their perspective...
I believe salaries for soldiers is $20,000 each regardless of rank.  It would kinda make sense that they should require more pay as they are promoted - but if you're really so worried about their pay that you want to restrict yourself to smaller, un-promoted troops then I think you're playing it wrong.  :)

they should require more pay as they are promoted

That's it. A colonel should draw a lot higher salary than a squaddie.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 02:19:51 pm »

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »
I feel the same way you guys do about low psi strength guys...  Morale ain't so much of a problem but psi strength 90+ gets flying suits....

PSI strength 90+ wear personal armour and never leave the Skyranger, Lightning or Avenger... XD

if all my spotters die, I blast off...

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »
I tend to go for lasers, then Avenger, and with 26 troops you can almost win any encounter except those heavy psionic ones.  Still in my first playthrough of openxcom, anyone with less than 40  strength run up to chew on plasma fire....  Unless they're very lucky they go down with indigestion.  And then they're set up for the next mission for more of the same....

Wonder if there are simple ways to implement rank apart from the morale thing.  I mean, incompetent, uninspiring officers also exist...  Maybe some individuals affect morale badly... 

Offline Hobbit Lord

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 07:32:25 pm »
X-Com is a communist organization

Everybody should get the same basic salary

Offline SHADO

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 02:51:46 am »
I also had the idea of being able to hire more expensive soldiers. They would have better odds of having higher stats.  Maybe you can bring them in as higher ranked soldiers (i.e., anything but a rookie).  Another thought would be the ability to hire for a specific stat (again, better odds- not a guarantee- for marksmanship or strength or whatever).

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:11 pm »
I also had the idea of being able to hire more expensive soldiers. They would have better odds of having higher stats.  Maybe you can bring them in as higher ranked soldiers (i.e., anything but a rookie).  Another thought would be the ability to hire for a specific stat (again, better odds- not a guarantee- for marksmanship or strength or whatever).

Unfortunately you can only have one type of soldier, "XCOM", in rulesets at the moment.