aliens

Author Topic: Damage/AoE as separated values in Ruleset?  (Read 6956 times)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Damage/AoE as separated values in Ruleset?
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:45:51 pm »
Wouldn't be great if we could control Area of Effect of explosions without having it to affect Damage as well?
This could  be specially useful with HE and I ammunition. For instance, making them do more damage but with a smaller AoE.

Also, radious goes from 1x1 square to 3x3 squares. Is it possible to have something in between like for instance:

o
 ooo
   o

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Damage/AoE as separated values in Ruleset?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44:58 am »
so you could possibly create an "implosion device" which deals 250 damage to a 3x3 area... :) I like this idea, even though for "normal" explosives the direct connection does make sense.

this could also prove useful for underwater explosions - if my physics understanding is right, the blast radius should perhaps be reduced (shrapnel won't travel as far), but the damage increased (water being incompressible would increase the shockwave effect, which again would dissipate faster with distance because the kinetic energy is turned into thermal energy at a faster rate)

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:30:52 am »
Wouldn't be great if we could control Area of Effect of explosions without having it to affect Damage as well?

i guess you can do this with grenade-type weapons, blastRadius/power in the ruleset. Unfortunately not for projectile-types like HE shells tho (?)

requires more research  ;)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41:24 am »
I was just trying to do the same thing
trying to implement the shotgun with different ammo and trying to do with blastradius/power wasn't working that well, also was trying to change the way mines work since they are not real grenades. 

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:55:45 pm »
I just starting modding OpenXcom yesterday by messing around with the Ruleset. I realized how easy it is getting to mod this game. I also read about the Modular rulesets and the upcoming OpenXcom 1.0 so I'm thinking about adding lots of new items eventually.

Right now, I turned the Auto-Cannon into something more like a Minigun. It deals less damage, the HE ammo has a AoE of 3x3 and the Incendiary ammo has a AoE of 1x1. Sadly, I had to tune down their damage considerably to adjust their AoE to what I was trying to aim. It only fires in Burst Mode, uses less TUs and their Clip Size has been increased so it works more like a fully automatic weapon.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:41:10 am »
i guess you can do this with grenade-type weapons, blastRadius/power in the ruleset. Unfortunately not for projectile-types like HE shells tho (?)

requires more research  ;)

setting a blastRadius should work for any HE/inc/stun/smoke weapons, but probably not for AP/laser/plasma/acid/melee ones.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:41:25 am »
setting a blastRadius should work for any HE/inc/stun/smoke weapons, but probably not for AP/laser/plasma/acid/melee ones.

are you sure!!!!...

wait wtf I am doing questioning you, I probably didn't write the proper command.

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 02:42:05 pm »
That's a shame, I was just thinking I'd make the Sectopod shots cause very tiny explosions just for the awe factor.

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:40:59 am »
What's the default blast radius for a Stun Bomb?  It isn't defined in the ruleset as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:47:10 pm »
What's the default blast radius for a Stun Bomb?  It isn't defined in the ruleset as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

In the original it was about 15 squares?

Though if you make it come down from the top level straight down its much bigger XD

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:27:51 pm »
In the original it was about 15 squares?

Though if you make it come down from the top level straight down its much bigger XD

that would be the blaster bomb, right?

I think (no guarantee, though) that in the original, the explosion radius was simply determined by explosion force (see UFOpaedia), with damage decreasing outward. I don't know how the "blastRadius" mechanic works here in openxcom... does it simply set a maximum radius, after which no more damage is imparted? @Warboy, can you help me out?

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 07:48:52 pm »
that would be the blaster bomb, right?

I think (no guarantee, though) that in the original, the explosion radius was simply determined by explosion force (see UFOpaedia), with damage decreasing outward. I don't know how the "blastRadius" mechanic works here in openxcom... does it simply set a maximum radius, after which no more damage is imparted? @Warboy, can you help me out?

Lol derp.... I read blasterbomb, instead of stun bomb... XD

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:47:08 pm »
I don't know how the "blastRadius" mechanic works here in openxcom... does it simply set a maximum radius, after which no more damage is imparted? @Warboy, can you help me out?

okay, I just confirmed it. blastRadius won't do anything if the value is above (damage/10) [explosions start at half the nominal damage in the center and decrease by five points per tile outward, so they reach 0 after ((damage divided by 2) divided by 5) = (damage/10)], because the explosion dissipated before reaching the hard limit imposed by blastRadius.

if you set the blastRadius to something below that, the explosion simply goes no further.

EDIT: tested using Bomb Bloke's damage terrain tileset: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/damage-testing-tileset/

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 06:25:25 am »
Cool.  Thanks for the help.