aliens

Author Topic: FOXC - Fantasy OpenXcom  (Read 59548 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: FOXC - Fantasy OpenXcom
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 10:14:42 pm »
hmmm... you might want to think about re-designing that GUI to take up less of the space in the middle of the screen and more of the space at the right- and left-hand-side. usually you'll want as much of the action at the center of the screen visible as possible, I think.
Yes i understand what your saying, it will only be useful in HD mode ( by design) as then it will be small enough to not inter fear with everything else. I feel this layout is a Mix between Apocalypse and Daggerfall ( thats were the vertical health bar come from). I was also trying to keep all the most useful buttons within the centre.

That low res image does not do it justice, maybe i should remove it from my previouse post.I could also do a mockup of a LOW RES version also, even thought i was only planning on only supporting HD.

Below see a version imposed over a HD image Warboy did for Xracer's battlesscaper controls , i think this looks nice, anyone else? This is what is in my head :P

***UPDATE***

I have also taken a image from the main page and pasted it into it at normal resolution (Take note of the location of the RED BOX ;)), honestly this one is smaller so until i see it ingame, i think it will be ok, it has the extra buttons i need but if the community dont like it i can simply keep the same design as the original one and move some things around, lets just see it in game before we make a call :P

Also one with more quick slots added
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:02:40 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 03:29:03 pm »
Just wasting time trying to find a location for Squad commands on screen, created a few new buttons with intent of having SQUAD rules at top of screen and have the ability to show or hide it, but i am still not happy with the bottom panels layout  :-[
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:06:58 pm by luke83 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »
Why are the buttons upside down?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
just ignore the details on the top buttons, the top bar is not really started , the idea was to see if the control panel as a group looked out of place :P

This is just a exercise to put some ideas out there for squad commands, to see what the community thinks, tonight i will start filling out the top bar with some of my "thoughts" on how to display the info and i need to move some things around on the bottom panel also ( i am not happy with its current look).

Stay tuned people and get ready to give some feedback.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:07:36 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 06:33:49 pm »
Tonight i have been trying to figure out how to load my images into OXC  as a external Ruleset ( compared to previously just replacing existing items in original game format).  I have tried copying all my Ruleset info from the Combat Knife Mod as a starting point and made all my graphics to match that, problem is Game crashes when it load and here is the feedback :

[07-09-2013 08:27:46]   [INFO]   Loading extra resources from ruleset...
[07-09-2013 08:27:46]   [ERROR]   Couldn't open C:\foxc\FOXC_NEWBUILD\data\Resources\Axe\HANDOB\C:\foxc\FOXC_NEWBUILD\data\Thumbs.db

Who knows what this "Thumbs.db" is and why does it not like my AXE info????  Currently it wont even load the combatknife ever as it give the same error, Yaml issues maybe???

I also have questions as to the naming Rules for the sprites in "Handob" as the comabt knife uses a different name system to the EMACE mod so i am curious what the rules ( if any) apply here ?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:25:15 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 02:14:12 am »
SO i switched PCs and loaded this up using a Different Virtual machine and all my problems go away, i am thinking my install of VirutalBox has some issues with Yaml ????

Now i have a basic ruleset to use my AXE in battle, i will start moving everything in like this so i can continue my work. Then i can start improving these graphics( as this is the first time i have seen these ingame) and make some NICE images for the weapons slots , right now i just pasted one of the battle scape axes into the window to see if it worked ;)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:42:32 am by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 10:25:37 pm »
As per my "Status Icon" suggestion , i want to provide status icons for unit to not only display if a unit is in RUN mode but other status like, fatal wounds, encumbered , no energy left , etc. This will allow for Spell effects to be shown later on.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:19:27 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 06:58:58 am »
Been working away adding some weapon sprites to a ruleset that Tyran-Nick built for me, starting to get a few done, shame none display in right sequence in game..Yet.

in the mean time, i have been thinking about how light would be handled in this game as assuming the unit has his own light source doesn't really work here, so i figured if they want light, they would need to carry it ( at the expanse of a weapon/shield ). Concept image shown below.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 02:31:55 pm »
Wow! These look good.

Unfortunately would need a lot of sprite anim frames for hit & fall down. Magic explosions. Magic missiles would be easiest, but there need be anims for Battle Axe chop, sword chop  and respective Enemy Hit, die, explode, disintegrate animations.

Essentially this is a domain of SSI Gold Box or Knights of the Chalice / Dark Sun.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 04:22:44 pm »
Wow! These look good.

Unfortunately would need a lot of sprite anim frames for hit & fall down. Magic explosions. Magic missiles would be easiest, but there need be anims for Battle Axe chop, sword chop  and respective Enemy Hit, die, explode, disintegrate animations.

Essentially this is a domain of SSI Gold Box or Knights of the Chalice / Dark Sun.
Current plan is to just live without weapon "swing" animation (and LIVE with Xcom STAR) and focus on everything else first ( battle sprites, maps, game balance, convincing coders to do my dirty work) so swing animations would be last priority, still i have some nice thoughts on how to do this with the low pixels.

Also whilst doing this,  i would hope to expand the options for OXC in the process ( run options, status display, animated weapon graphics for example) i had to move to a non xcom game to stop people complaining about ruining Vanilla OXC instead of just expanding the possibility.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:25:39 pm by luke83 »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:13 pm »
Luke, I have one request, please use correct pixel size and color in your graphics.
In your last gif  pixel of torch fire are 2 times smaller than rest of pixel and game will never (without ugly hacks) be able to made something like this.
As long you keep this two requirements every mockup you made will be doable in current game.

Offline AMX

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 07:05:15 pm »
In your last gif  pixel of torch fire are 2 times smaller than rest of pixel and game will never (without ugly hacks) be able to made something like this.
Never?  ???

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »
(without ugly hacks)
you could add TV tuner to OpenXcom, full 3d, support for excel files, database access and any thing you want but quality of game code will drop.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 08:27:12 pm »
Never?  ???
You can have native-size sprites or resized-size sprites but you can't have it both ways. :P You'd have to resize the soldiers to twice the size relative to the flame sprite.

Offline AMX

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 10:14:21 pm »
You can have native-size sprites or resized-size sprites but you can't have it both ways. :P You'd have to resize the soldiers to twice the size relative to the flame sprite.
Obviously.
I just don't see where that involves an "ugly hack"  :o