aliens

Author Topic: What if we were to take this engine and apply it to some other theme?  (Read 6658 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
A huge departure from the original, but what if there were other missions, and maybe non main storyline missions.  Like something out of the original laser squad or rebelstar...  They had missions like get to the other side of the valley with the device, or steal device, or get into the control room....

I don't know, rather than exterminate aliens maybe there are other things we can do, like more detailed alien bases, capture commander..  well, that exists though for some reason I always get away with very large ufo commanders.... 

How about assault the farm house?  Destroy the comms station with high explosive?

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Here are some I read on other forums.

Protect the VIP CFN member. Land on the roof of the 25-story building and take out the aliens before they get to the Council member in his secret panic room on one of the top 5 floors. This mission pops up when a funding nation is paying you a certain high amount of funding. The aliens in this mission are few, but are the elite and will require skill to win without taking casualties. Not sure if they should be Thinmen synthoids for coolness.

Exterminate the Cryssalids Hive. An Alien base mission, but the catch is... Cryssalids only and the base will look like the hive from the Aliens movie. Impossible difficulty and prepare to use your high reaction fire operatives. To win, you have to eliminate the Hive Queen and then hold out until all the Cryssalids are dead. After you take out the hive Queen, all the Cryssalids in the Hive will come to you.

Protect the oil drilling platform. Land on an oil drilling platform in the middle of the ocean and defend it against the aliens. The funding nations depend on oil, so they'll want you going out if the UN Military fails.

That's all I remember :) You wanted non-alien missions right?

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Just any mission with the game engine.  Even a human vs human scenario might work.  I just figure there must be more game ideas.  Hvaen't played the new xcom expansion but I hear one new mission was just like the bomb disposal mission...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Here are some Map/Scenario suggestions i made some time ago:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,565.0.html

Also , i always intended to bring more Human Vs Human action into game also thus my Gangs mods i started ( and still need to cleanup ) back when i was doing this stuff, modding OXC was still along way off :P

Hostile Gangs:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,280.0.html

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Oh yeah, I forgot about your gangs mod, Luke! That would be really cool to see in the future. X-COM vs. humans and human hybrids too. Human hybrid/cyborg gangs because they give up free will for power and tech from the aliens. That would be really cool. Then later on you can decide if you should mess with splicing your units with alien DNA.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
the engine could also be used to make a space hulk type game, with narrow corridors, fast moving melee units and super soldiers.

or a world war 2 type game where you have to defend britain from the luftwaffe, sink enemy u-boats, carry out bombing runs on berlin, and that's not even getting into the tactical aspect.

a jagged alliance style game, with teams of hired mercs and land control and stuff would also theoretically be possible.

i also like stargate.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Star Wars...  Star trek...  ?Maybe harry potter....

Warhammer 40k....

The expendibles....

Maybe xcom engine for ...  jagged alliance?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Been thinking of a Mordheim  style -warband Mod, it would be a nice alternative game to X-com and the destructible terrain would be a interesting touch.
Remove Geoscape and replace with a Tavern or something to recruit new units, amour, weapons and maybe a battlemap of the area that random missions can spawn on. Add more RPG Stats/elements into the mix and a Few new MCD sets and we would have another Good game.

Just thinking out loud :P  ( until next year atleast)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:19:20 pm by luke83 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
the engine could also be used to make a space hulk type game, with narrow corridors, fast moving melee units and super soldiers.
Too late: https://store.steampowered.com/app/242570/?snr=1_7_15__13 :P

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: What if we were to take this engine and apply it to some other theme?
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 07:40:28 pm »
But what is better then invading aliens?! XD

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:59 pm »
Better question:

What if the respected programmers decide its time to raise resolution to 1024x768 or 1280x1024?

And the pixel graphics finally can be done in High-Res!

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 01:39:14 am »
Better question:

What if the respected programmers decide its time to raise resolution to 1024x768 or 1280x1024?

And the pixel graphics finally can be done in High-Res!

shhhhh... talk quietly you maybe wake up the resolution demons :P