aliens

Author Topic: Aliens don't attack my base?  (Read 6136 times)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Aliens don't attack my base?
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:06:32 pm »
Aggressive Retaliation attacks do not continue after I increased my base defenses. Aliens raided when I did NOT have - maybe one puny rocket defenses. It looks like the OpenXCOM uses some simple dice throw routine:

IF BASE DEFENSES TOO HIGH  THEN
     WE COWARDLY ALIENS RUN LIKE HELL AND WON'T ATTACK HUMAN BASE(s) EVER!!!

So please, reinstate Continued Aggressive Retaliation onto human bases, even after I "upgraded" defenses by simply building 3-4 rocket defenses.

That should surely not thwart the aliens from attacking, right? I only wanted to fire on their asses, before they descend.

Please upgrade OpenXCOM code so aliens steadily retaliate in Blind Rage no matter what defenses or how many I have.

Thank You!

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens don't attack my base?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »
Though if you have enough defences to keep them from ever lading what is the point?

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:26:53 pm »
The point is at the beginning my soldiers have only their overalls and lately the new armor, plus they are newbies and use only kinetic weapons. It takes a lot to shoot down a laser disk.

Sectoids constantly try to mind-control. So if I shoot them up good with rockets only bloody injured sectoids will arrive and damaged laserdisks. :)  Hopefully.

It is much more dramatic to actually SEE the rocket DEFENSE IN ACTION.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:55:01 pm »
sorry, but base defences are dichotomic. either you shoot down the attacking battleship, destroying it, or the crew comes through unharmed. no point in having insufficient defences, they are a waste of money.

another thing I'd like to see changed... as I've mentioned before (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,468.0.html, see second post, section 2)  :D

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:57:24 am »
I just thought of something that would be really hard and badass.

In the very late game, the aliens will not land in your hangar with a full force, but they attempt a new tactic. They'll be in the safety of outer space to launch orbital insertion pods down into the underground base, crash land in random places of your base. Chryssalids everywhere... or Elite ( maxed out stats) Alien Berets with Luke's aliens recoloured mod.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 06:43:20 pm »
sorry, but base defences are dichotomic. either you shoot down the attacking battleship, destroying it, or the crew comes through unharmed. no point in having insufficient defences, they are a waste of money.

another thing I'd like to see changed... as I've mentioned before (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,468.0.html, see second post, section 2)  :D

So in the original game when my defenses began shooting, it either shot down the aliens ship, destroying the aliens inside,

or the defenses "hit", but the aliens came down unscathed?

I don't remember.

Best would be for OpenXCom:

Defenses are shooting the aliens ship....
..1st defenses MISS!!
..2nd defenses MISS!!
..3rd  defenses HIT!! Alien ship suffered minor injury, few crew casualties possible.

or

Defenses are shooting the aliens ship....
..1st defenses MISS!!
..2nd defenses HIT!!
..3rd  defenses HIT!! Alien ship suffered medium damage, significant alien crew casualties possible.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:25 pm »
It could also be like in TTS? ^^

Also some aliens are better at surviving then others, Sectiods very quickly and Mutons not easily at all... =3

Offline KiethSomataw99

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »
Perhaps in aggressive retaliation, the aliens should send smaller ships to raid the xcom base early on, perhaps large scouts in the first month. Also, OpenXcom should make it so if the defenses deal enough damage to the attacking ufo, there's a chance it will crash land near the base, and very few surviving aliens will assault is as normal. If the aliens are defeated, the contents of the crashed UFO are recovered like in a craft assault.