Author Topic: Further improvements/map enlargement/changes to aliens?  (Read 8340 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Further improvements/map enlargement/changes to aliens?
« on: July 18, 2013, 03:58:56 pm »
Just a thought but is there any good way to improve on the aliens?  I'm thinking of things that might improve on the 'personality', like ensuring that navigators only have plasma pistols.  They stop carrying those after a while right?  Can we create more ranks? 

Is there a possibility of creating our own 'beyond superhuman' level where very large ships have over 40 aliens that can make life hard for 26 xcom soldiers?  Maybe with the xcom2 size maps?  Maybe a mod that gives medics plasma pistols?

Not sure if its already implemented but xcomutil allows you to blow some ufo walls with high explosives.  Don't use it much but I like it being there....

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Further improvements/map enlargement/changes to aliens?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:21:03 pm »
I think people like Warboy and others are working on getting TFTD to play nice with the OXC code, meaning having TFTD sized maps could be a reality. I am not sure how moddable the alien ranks are and their weapon loadout, but if you have a bit of a C++ background, you could look into making these changes yourself ;p

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:36:07 pm »
You can theoretically have super-large maps already, but they make for tedius battles.

I think it also should be pretty easy to add new ranks within the ruleset files, I'm not sure if the research aspect, that's probably doable in rulesets too

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »
I know what you mean by tedious but I think the easy solution is to use large rockets and blow everything up.  Plus psionics again makes end game much easier.

But sometimes even superhuman mode is alright.  I mean, right now, early game I make do with a mediocre score since I know it'll get better.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:24:51 am »
yeah ranks and research are all doable in the ruleset, to the point that a non programmer like myself is trying to modify the human research tree.

I do like the idea of more ranks for the aliens allowing each alien to have an specific role. Kharille  maybe we can combine efforts :) let me know

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:23:54 am »
Me help? I'm useless at computers.  I need youtube to figure out how to install diablo plugy, BG easytutu and others.  If its non-programming I'd be happy to make suggestions.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 06:06:44 am »
technically it is non-programming

the ruleset has been implemented so that non-programmers like ourselves could make a significant mod, so long as we are good artist :D

so in logic the research tree just need good art and good ideas, and a little (read a lot) of typing :)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 08:50:05 am »
Ok, let me know what you have in mind.  I was thinking about variations on the alien equipment.  The Mind probe doesn't seem to do anything for them, though its worth a lot of cash.

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 04:22:24 am »
yeah ranks and research are all doable in the ruleset, to the point that a non programmer like myself is trying to modify the human research tree.

I do like the idea of more ranks for the aliens allowing each alien to have an specific role. Kharille  maybe we can combine efforts :) let me know

I've done some editing of the research tree -- implementing the alternate lasers of Xcomutil.  I also wanted to alter the weapons loadouts of the aliens.  Something like Mutons always have Heavy Plasma, Sectoids only have Plasma Pistols except for Leaders/Commanders who you carry rifles; stuff like that.  However, I didn't see any way to make those kinds of changes.  I saw how I could change UFO loadouts but nothing that I could specifically target alien loadouts.  Would be happy to be enlightened as to how to do that if it's possible.

As far as larger maps, I suppose as an option it'd be worthwhile.  That said, I'm hoping that when TFTD gets implemented, we'll be able to use the smaller UFO-style maps, whether by default or as an option.  TFTDExtender does that and it makes most battles much less painful ... except 2-stage terror missions which are still the same nightmare as originally.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 04:29:05 am »
Couldn't quite put my finger on it but yeah, sectoids with pistols and maybe rifles, and mutons with the bigger sizes.  I'm irritated in my xcomutil game where I've only got 1 plasma pistol and clip because I sold them all in the early game.  Sectoids should be physically weak.

Offline Phezzan

• Sergeant
  • Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 05:43:43 am »
I also wanted to alter the weapons loadouts of the aliens.  Something like Mutons always have Heavy Plasma, Sectoids only have Plasma Pistols except for Leaders/Commanders who you carry rifles; stuff like that.  However, I didn't see any way to make those kinds of changes.  I saw how I could change UFO loadouts but nothing that I could specifically target alien loadouts.  Would be happy to be enlightened as to how to do that if it's possible.

search the ruleset for
Deployments:

sadly it is determined by mission and techlevel, not race - so your idea requires code changes...

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 05:50:44 am »
search the ruleset for
Deployments:

sadly it is determined by mission and techlevel, not race - so your idea requires code changes...

Thanks.  I had found that and that's what I figured, but didn't know if I was missing something.