Author Topic: Starting money  (Read 4295 times)

Offline tifa

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Starting money
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:33:43 pm »
Hello. first off, great job with the project. I was just wondering about the starting money. I would rather not have the increased starting amount just to keep the feel of the original game. Was this change made because you made the base game harder than the original with different unit behaviors? I'm interested.

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Starting money
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:41:31 pm »
If you're saying what I think you're saying... Did you get the nightly build? I recall it fixed a problem where the game didn't correctly pay rent for the first month straight away.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:00:01 pm »
Nightly build is the build to get. Also, your save game is human readable, you can totally edit the money you start with if the nightly still isn't to your liking.

Offline tifa

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 04:33:20 am »
Hello. I have version 0.9. In all other versions you start with just over 4 million when starting a new game. In this version it's 6 million which makes a big difference. An extra lab and men right off the bat!

Also, I have no real coding knowledge :)

Also, muting the music mutes the whole thing! Cannot play the godly playstation music :(

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:03:35 am »
Hello. I have version 0.9. In all other versions you start with just over 4 million when starting a new game. In this version it's 6 million which makes a big difference. An extra lab and men right off the bat!
This is a feature, not a bug. Original X-COM always made the starting funding total ~6M, which we correctly added in 0.9.

Also, I have no real coding knowledge :)
You don't need coding knowledge to try the nightly builds, they are available pre-compiled on the Downloads section.

Also, muting the music mutes the whole thing! Cannot play the godly playstation music :(
You can add the PlayStation music directly to OpenXcom by downloading it from this site and putting it in your data\sound folder.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:05:10 am by SupSuper »

Offline tifa

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:45:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply SupSuper. Ah, I never realzed that it was yet another bug from the original game. So many things that went unoticed. I was resistent to changing the original game as playing while experiencing the original with better optimization but if that is how the game was meant to be played then that's great that it's been fixed.

Having expereinced a game over via a base assault on superhuman in the first month, I'm sure the starting money won't make it that much easier :)

Thanks for the tip on the music. I was confused since I downloaded the playstation music in mp3 format and it told me I needed to run the music with an mp3 player. I didn't even check the link right at the bottom.

Also, I've been running the game in windowed mode as the colour messed up when I go full screen. I've tired lowering my resolution but it didn't help.

Anyway, I think you've done a great job with the mod. Just wanted to make that clear.

EDIT - took your advice and downloaded the lastest nightly build. Much better besides the full screen thingy. I've noticed that you no longer need to arm high explosives. Is that intentional? It makes them much more powerful than before where you had to arm it beforehand and run around with an armed bomb that would explode whenever your soldier died!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:58:42 pm by tifa »

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:16:17 pm »
This is a feature, not a bug. Original X-COM always made the starting funding total ~6M, which we correctly added in 0.9.
Though as mentioned, the starting base maintenance costs were immediately deducted from that sum, so you had 4m and a bit. That was only added later, in a nightly build.