Author Topic: Terror went down without a fight  (Read 3746 times)

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Terror went down without a fight
« on: July 12, 2013, 03:03:58 pm »
So, radar picks up a large ship.  Hoping it's a supply ship, I sent my 2 interceptors after it.  Interceptor 1 is armed with Stingray/Cannon and Interceptor 2 with Avalanche/Stingray.  Both interceptors catch up and engage at the same time.  Turns out, it's a terror ship, so I figure I'm about to get my butt handed to me, but I engage anyway hoping I can shoot it down before having to retreat both fighters before they're destroyed.  (Looking at the UFOPedia afterwards, I see that I had as bad a chance to bring down a Supply Ship as a Terror Ship, maybe less.)  Both do a standard attack.  After firing off most all of the missles and 27 cannon rounds, the terror ship goes down.  Not only did my fighters not sustain ANY damage, but I didn't even notice a single shot fired from the terror ship.

Anybody seen that before?  My memory is that terror ships are the death of early interceptors until you've got plasma beams.

Offline Man in the Funny Hat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Terror went down without a fight
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:05:26 pm »
I have seen a bit of... unusual air combat stuff.  I had a skyranger heading for a downed UFO when another UFO pops up.  It LANDS between the downed UFO and my base.  Redirected the skyranger to take it on already drooling over the full compliment of elerium and alloys, but also sent an interceptor to park over top of it.  Sure enough it takes off again, the interceptor engages, I order an aggressive attack and there's a "pew-pew" as a missile or two is launched at it.  Then suddenly I see a brief message that it's outrunning the interceptor.... and then I'm looking at the geoscape and an EMPTY sky.  It's not outrunning me - it's GONE.  It's simply no longer there.  I send the interceptor home and the skyranger goes back to its original mission.  It was just wierd.  I assume that these sorts of things are simply to be expected from a work in progress.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:01:08 am »
the fire rate of UFOs is a factor of the difficulty level and the aggressiveness of your stance, although there is apparently some weirdness going on with interceptions (the numbering is sometimes wrong) and this may have something to do with it.

as for the UFO outrunning your interceptor and disappearing, i'd say it's most likely that it left the atmosphere.

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:50:18 am »
the fire rate of UFOs is a factor of the difficulty level and the aggressiveness of your stance, although there is apparently some weirdness going on with interceptions (the numbering is sometimes wrong) and this may have something to do with it.

I'm playing on Veteran difficulty and was using standard attack stance.  Still, it seems weird that the one interceptor closed to cannon range for 27 shots and was like it was attacking a Small Scout.  I could see if the UFO was in a defensive stance or trying to avoid combat or something, but then it could have easily out-run my interceptors.

I'll keep a watch and see if I see this happening a lot more.  Can't say I paid much attention until this blatant example.

Thanks for commenting.