Author Topic: High Resolution Artwork  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Astronox

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
High Resolution Artwork
« on: June 29, 2013, 07:20:09 pm »
Hi.
As the UFO: TTS Team stopped working on their game, they didn´t finish to convert all the artwork to
a higher resolution. I´am working now on finishing all the files that are still at the old resolution
(all in the "graphics_old" folder) and i would know if the openxcom team plans to add a higher (doubled)
resolution, and if you could use the files.
I think also about  to model some UFO parts (i began with the firestorm yesterday) in Cinema 4D.
When you could use it for an intro or anything else, you can get the files from me just tell me.

cu, Astro

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: High Resolution Artwork
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:00 pm »
hell yes. we could definitely use this, i believe the UFO:TTS team also gave us permission to use their art, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:26:35 am »
Obviously this would need to stay as a 3rd party MOD ( for copyright issues) but i welcome Hi-Res graphics if anyone can provide them.

I would also love to see your 3d Models , i started some time ago with building 1 Ufo to help me focus on learning some 3D modelling skills but honestly there not great.

I am curious about Mapbuilding ( which is my primary interest in Modding) if these High-resolution graphics do make it to a stable Mod, would there be some sort of Auto-switch made from old art work to new artwork? I only ask as i put a lot of time into map building ,  i would like to know the layouts will be compatible with new artwork .

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 01:04:20 am »
Obviously this would need to stay as a 3rd party MOD ( for copyright issues) but i welcome Hi-Res graphics if anyone can provide them.

I would also love to see your 3d Models , i started some time ago with building 1 Ufo to help me focus on learning some 3D modelling skills but honestly there not great.

I am curious about Mapbuilding ( which is my primary interest in Modding) if these High-resolution graphics do make it to a stable Mod, would there be some sort of Auto-switch made from old art work to new artwork? I only ask as i put a lot of time into map building ,  i would like to know the layouts will be compatible with new artwork .

Yeah, adding compatibility for this would be a great post-1.0 feature. :)

And I think the point was to exactly replicate the old tiles, but in higher resolution and colour depth, effectively making Xcom-HD graphics.

Offline Astronox

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:10:36 pm »
To double the resolution is no problem, as long as i´ll get the files that must be updated
in a format that i can load (like the original bitmap, a tiff or PSD would also work).
At "UFO: The Two Sides", the devs used a open file structure, where you just could find and
open / replace the graphics files. Thats why i could just open and mod them.

Here is an example of the "Mars" graphics where i doubled the resolution two days ago,
and the "basebits" bitmap, where i had to add a CGI firestorm, cause the UFO:TTS team
finished work on the file before the firestorm was added.
This CGI firestorm is based upon the image from the ufopedia from the original 1994 UFO,
that i found with google. So this one is not based on the old 1994 image (cause i don´t
have the original top view).

At UFO:TTS, they also had a high resolution geo image to replace the original rendered
earth from the 1994 edition. I hope the OpenXcom team does the same, cause it looked
really good. I could help them getting the image ready for the game, so thats not the problem.

cu, Astro

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »
Good work Astronox, i hope Openxcom will support bigger graphics at some point.

@Warboy, you should "hire" Astronox to help you with War mod ;)

Volutar

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:05:07 am »
By these pictures it's clear automatic zooming algorithms was used for tiles. Lots of places aren't sharped/redrawn, only edges seems to be "geometrized". As I remember for TTS, for the other hand, they were redrawing sprites manually.
I believe these pictures are 10% of final result?

Offline Astronox

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »
By these pictures it's clear automatic zooming algorithms was used for tiles. Lots of places aren't sharped/redrawn, only edges seems to be "geometrized". As I remember for TTS, for the other hand, they were redrawing sprites manually.
I believe these pictures are 10% of final result?

All pixels are doubled by hand, or by a mask to reduce work at bigger surfaces.
The picture looks unsharp, cause i accidentaly shifted the top layer in photoshop one pixel to the right.

Volutar

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:38:19 pm »
Astronox, those mars tiles seems to be aliased like it was scaled without filtering and haven't been touched by hand, except for outlines, which looks smoothed by hands.
As far as I notice lots of TTS sprites were "redrawn" by hand over 2x scaled original, because there is no way of making that other way.