Author Topic: Graphics Improvements?  (Read 6246 times)

Offline jing

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Graphics Improvements?
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:45:00 am »
First, congrats on v0.9.  Fantastic job, guys!

Now that the game is feature complete, is it possible for it to support better graphics?  I know it was designed to use the original game assets by default, but it would be nice if custom sprites of higher resolution can be used.  It would be great if this was taken into consideration from the very beginning.  If not, I hope it's not too difficult to add it as an additional feature.

A higher resolution version of the battlescape would also be welcome.  It would be nice to be able to see more of the battlefiled, given the better resolution of a modern LCD monitor, without the bottom panel taking up almost 1/3 of the screen.  Again, this is probably non-trivial, definitely post 1.0, maybe 2.0?

Thanks again for all the hard work!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Improvements?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 05:37:10 am »
you CAN adjust the base resolution in the options.cfg, and it looks more like this, for example:

just bear in mind that this isn't really tested much, and should be considered experimental at best.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:38:51 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline grrussel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:01:30 pm »
Its a nifty view; but I found an issue where the red box cursor is not displayed at the lowest corner of the battlescape, for example, so you can neither select a unit there nor move a unit out of there.

The main interface (menus, etc) was also wedged into the top left corner at the original size.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 12:43:47 am »
this isn't really tested much, and should be considered experimental at best.

perhaps i should have put that in really big bright orange flashing capital letters.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »
...with flashing arrows pointing towards it...

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:25:18 am »
Its a nifty view; but I found an issue where the red box cursor is not displayed at the lowest corner of the battlescape, for example, so you can neither select a unit there nor move a unit out of there.

The main interface (menus, etc) was also wedged into the top left corner at the original size.

Yep, it has some pretty basic problems, a lot of things are still hardcoded on a 300x200 size. If you're able to code and really care about the feature, go prepare some code to PR. :D

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:45:45 am »
WOW just tried this, its like playing a newer game , good job , cant wait for those screens to be Fixed:)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:22:29 pm »
Warboy said he will give this a look over and see how can it be done, so that way i can put in all the crappy/non-palette are that i am doing!!! :) but of course that will still be limited to 640x400