Author Topic: *gasp* It's so beautiful!  (Read 25219 times)

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: *gasp* It's so beautiful!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 11:14:07 pm »
I'm just gonna gush about the height-effective explosions for a bit, as I got in trouble with some snakemen in a farm house and after trading some lives and finding they even had a damn roof sniper I got fed up and threw a HE pack up there.
Cored the building like an apple.
I think I'll do that to every damn farm house from now on, there's always 3 more in them than I expect.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 10:06:20 pm »
Should add a damage report in Debriefing for how much property we destroyed. Just give each tile a price value.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 03:16:12 pm »
you know ... the more i look into C++

I wonder why they didn't hire you guys for the xcom remake; oh yeah, those dacqueris on Maui would have tasted bitter.

still a few quirks but oXc just stuns me, Tu!!

- threw an HE pack into the center of an urban warehouse to flush 'em out: blew a hole in the roof

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 05:29:15 pm »
I see that you've met the three-dimensional explosion model.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 11:22:50 pm »
/heh

i think i'll push it back up to "2" :)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 02:24:39 am »
don't you love little features :)

Offline MadMelvin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 03:09:09 pm »
Yes! It's the little things. I always wanted to bring 50 grenades on a mission. I always wanted to use more than two smoke bombs. I always hated broken proximity mines. OpenXCom is PERFECT and it's not even done yet. :o

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 09:42:01 am »
I must say the QuickSave/Quickload feature and UI enhancements, then the Scrap, Unload, Autosell, Right-Mouse-Click solutions, radar range circle, Ruleset MOD-ability make OpenXCOM the richest UFO DEFENSE game feature-wise.

Only  the  AI  lacks in this game, meaning nothing much happening so I usually flee to the super exciting UFO-Extender/XCOMUTIL combo.

AI must be made:

• cruel
  • ruthless
  • superintelligent
  • surprising
  • almost inescapable
  • AI must be cheating like hell
  • with telepathic aliens
  • crushing Tactics on Battlescape
  • and alien tactics on Geoscape that can make You Cry:
Unique tactics in Dogfights = UFO-s closing in, fleeing, then returning again with a message window or via any exciting new solution:

UFO begins to chase Your Fighter!!

UFO catches your fighter  =  Dogfight Ensues

UFO engages in Aggressive Attack!  = UFO automatically closes in

UFO shot down your fighter!! =  already Damaged Interceptor couldn't take it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:47:31 am by mercy »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 08:41:45 pm »
I must say the QuickSave/Quickload feature and UI enhancements, then the Scrap, Unload, Autosell, Right-Mouse-Click solutions, radar range circle, Ruleset MOD-ability make OpenXCOM the richest UFO DEFENSE game feature-wise.

Only  the  AI  lacks in this game, meaning nothing much happening so I usually flee to the super exciting UFO-Extender/XCOMUTIL combo.

AI must be made:

• cruel
  • ruthless
  • superintelligent
  • surprising
  • almost inescapable
  • AI must be cheating like hell
  • with telepathic aliens
  • crushing Tactics on Battlescape
  • and alien tactics on Geoscape that can make You Cry:

All this coming soon to a build near you, the amazing programmer are working on fulfilling most of your dreams (and nightmares) [/list]

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 11:03:03 pm »
I do NOT want cheating AI!

Personally I wanna be the alien commander crushing the silly Xcom commander :P

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 12:31:48 pm »
So when is the next build? I hope we get another badass feature... I've been dreaming about the Black Market idea people keep throwing out... Selling to anyone and everyone and sending operatives to make the exchange. Please add that!

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 03:50:26 pm »
So when is the next build? I hope we get another badass feature... I've been dreaming about the Black Market idea people keep throwing out... Selling to anyone and everyone and sending operatives to make the exchange. Please add that!

Then also maybe with human terrorists with alien weapons?
Maybe some might even being helped by the aliens directly... XD

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 11:16:41 pm »

I think warboy and Sup have been discussing when to release a little update. some time in the near future just to shut you people up :P.

Also about adding features that depart a little too much from XCOM, i think those features will only come in a MOD form, as far as i know OXC tries to mimic vanilla as close a possible with few but important refinements, as such changes to drastic different functionality will need to be part of mods.

And i like the idea of the black market but some significant amount of code will be needed to implement it :S

I do NOT want cheating AI!

Personally I wanna be the alien commander crushing the silly Xcom commander :P
But most if not all games have an AI that cheats, i think that is just what gaming is all about :) but yes i agree i want the A to annihilate our little soldiers :)

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 09:16:21 am »
But most if not all games have an AI that cheats, i think that is just what gaming is all about :) but yes i agree i want the A to annihilate our little soldiers :)

Then again then I am a big fan of TTS... XD

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 03:37:41 am »
Then again then I am a big fan of TTS... XD

Yes you are. You kept killing all my soldiers before I even found your UFOs you fuker!

I't would be nice to see an accessible moddable AI exteralized into some form of text file. OXCs goal was always to create a launching base for projects like TTS, Xenocide, Cydonias Fall etc; to provide a working codebase and framework for x-com inspired indie projects; and those projects are going to require proper AI.

However, making a good external AI with features and functionality far exceding the original would be a big project. The kind of AI that UFO/TFTD and OXC use is this thing that uses randomness to make it seem like it's doing more then just walking UFOs to you. The Geoscape AI is even less sophisticated: UFO and their targets spawn out of a list (AKA a mission), and missions spawn from a table of months and likely mission-race combos.

Giving OXC a real AI would be a project.