Author Topic: MAPVIEW upgrade  (Read 259547 times)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: MAPVIEW upgrade
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2017, 12:49:29 am »
it is a privilege to have you here with us :)

Offline JonnyH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2017, 05:30:29 pm »
I imported the history I had from the old sourceforge page to a new github repo.

https://github.com/ratzlaff/XCom-tools

Add your feature requests as issues. I have no idea what state the code is in yet. I only brought up the 'set your paths' dialog with Xamarin Studio (on my mac, no less) last night, so it compiles, yay!

Anyone want to be a collaborator?

Is that the "One True Upstream" now? I had some patches trying to get it to work properly under linux, and half a mind to see if it's worth trying to extend for Apocalypse (or at least shamelessly rip off code that happens to do the same thing if it turns out to be 'too' different to keep in the same codebase)

Offline DaiShiva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2017, 06:02:24 pm »
Is that the "One True Upstream" now?

It could be. I would want to first get some collaborators on board to avoid repeating the current situation where the code goes years without any activity.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2017, 11:47:27 pm »
MAPVIEW, on a Windows 7 computer, it works fine

HOWEVER, on a Windows 8.1 it seemed to develop the issue of  once the main window is open, other windows cannot be worked with. 
Only one other window at a time can be open.  This seems to be on all versions of Mapview. 
Small Edits are  not a  problem, I could not imagine using it otherwise on bigger projects.

As indicated , works fine on a Windows 7 computer I have access to.
The feature of the MAGNIFIER is good. I can see easily the project being worked on.
I prefer to have CUT/COPY/PASTE in text in the Map Editor window as in some versions rather than icon becasue I have to hover my mouse over to doublecheck UI have the right thing seclcted.

If possible you may wish to make the link for latest version of MAPVIEW more prominent, i had to dig for this one. 
Thanks

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2017, 09:01:52 pm »
Been using MapView in the past days and also noticed this problem. It most likely is related to the recent security patch released for Windows since MapView was running great on Windows 10 before.

I've checked kevL's github page but I couldn't find a release version. Anyone knows how to get one?

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2017, 10:35:08 pm »
do you try to run the app with admin privilegy ?(there is an options on context menu)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2017, 11:00:00 pm »
do you try to run the app with admin privilegy ?(there is an options on context menu)

Doesn't solve anything but thanks for the idea

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2017, 07:15:04 am »
I've checked kevL's github page but I couldn't find a release version. Anyone knows how to get one?

The kevl's current build is here: https://github.com/kevL/OpenXCOM.Tools/tree/master/Distribution

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2017, 06:33:24 pm »
The kevl's current build is here: https://github.com/kevL/OpenXCOM.Tools/tree/master/Distribution

Thanks, just tried it but the windows are still messed up on his latest version.

Plus it breaks compatibility since it doesn't load my old map sets...

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2017, 04:23:28 am »
Latest MAPVIEW June 2017
JUST got this
THIS version is getting close for a release upon the unwashed masses:

--It got rid of the offending UFO000 UFO01a  UFO010 so people won't think their MAPview is broke.
--it lists settings errors in the MCD file such as if a non-existent swap frame was referenced
--a "save as" feature for the map file is included, one can rename their map (still testing to see how this works)

EDIT Yes it does, it places the renamed files in the routes and map folder both.

Yes, one still has to edit settings files to add tilesets, and that interface to add them has been removed probably since MAPVIEW could not find them anyway

Hobbes==> Plus it breaks compatibility since it doesn't load my old map sets...

I hope you find a work around for incompatibilities , you must have tonnes of maps by now

Hobbes==>Been using MapView in the past days and also noticed this problem. It most likely is related to the recent security patch released for Windows since MapView was running great on Windows 10 before.

if YOU MUST have an older version of Windows (even with with an ISA slot):
http://www.nixsys.com/

Bought a Win XP/7 unit for the old stuff
One can get cheaper elsewhere refurbished, but it IS refurbished.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:18:45 pm by SteamXCOM »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2018, 09:16:29 pm »
I just grabbed the Mapview 2 from here
https://github.com/kevL/OpenXCOM.Tools/tree/master/Distribution
and ive got a problem with running it... all that comes up is a blank command prompt window and then it closes, no other error messages really. The program also didnt write any initial configuration files either. I tried loading the mapview help file (.chm) and windows help just says it cannot load the help file.
> im running Win7 Home Premium 32 bit

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2018, 03:06:19 pm »
hi.

I'm the guy who reworked MapView -> MapView II

i'm good with code but absolutely crappy with .NET versioning, how it interacts with various operating systems, etc. I'd like to see a distribution of MV2 working for general use but it's extremely unlikely I can fix a problem if i can't replicate it. (i can't replicate it)

Note: after reading the above 2 posts I cleaned everything and re-built and re-installed MV2 on my computer - win7 64-bit.

and as far as I can tell, it's working great even the .Chm help

So if someone who knows - or who can replicate the issues and wants to twiddle with .NET - wants to fork the repo and produce a well working distribution that'd be excellent,

caveat: apart from not understanding .NET and the .NET build procedures, I'm heavily involved in other stuff, but am willing to discuss things

/thanks

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »
:) good luck

like i said, or implied, if someone can't get MV2 working on their machine I'm as lost as they are.

I do know, that the design of MapView and MapView2 does stuff that later versions Windows (eg. 10) considers security breaches. That is, it wants to write files to a subfolder of itself. Apparently "Program Files" does not like that.

so you'd be wise/smart to install MapView outside of the Program Files hierarchy ...

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2018, 02:03:52 am »
k

/salut

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2018, 07:48:32 pm »
Maybe there's something I did wrong with installing MV2...
I placed it in its own subdirectory (mapview) under the openxcom directory. I play xpiratez with it but I have the appropriate vanilla files located under the required folders.

My MV2 doesnt have a configuration file, but I was expecting it to load and ask me "okay where are the files" so that I could dictate the proper locations for them and it could find what it needed. It didnt have a config file with it on github.

If ive got it in the wrong folder and its crashing because of that, then where am I supposed to put it? (openxcom root folder? ufo or tftd files root folder?)

Again the crash that I am getting with it is... upon execution a blank Dos Cmd window opens up and then it closes (thats all she wrote). I dont have any antivirus running so I know thats not getting in the way of it.