aliens

Author Topic: MAPVIEW upgrade  (Read 259671 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: MAPVIEW upgrade
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2015, 03:17:20 am »
i always get crashes when loading tftd pck files

also my mouse wheel no longer working so it seems i cannot move levels up or down. perhaps some other shortcut key could be useful like maybe A and Z to go up and down. or maybe there is but i don't know.

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2016, 03:57:01 pm »
I downloaded the tool and i want to open the mod directory of Piratez mod. However, whatever i do i always only get the stock list

Can someone advise ?

https://prntscr.com/b2d4re

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2016, 04:14:51 pm »
I downloaded the tool and i want to open the mod directory of Piratez mod. However, whatever i do i always only get the stock list

Can someone advise ?

https://prntscr.com/b2d4re

MapView doesn't automatically recognize all the maps in a mod directory, only the vanilla maps. You'll still need to add the new maps either through Paths or by manually editing the MapEdit.dat file on /settings

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2016, 04:32:48 pm »
MapView doesn't automatically recognize all the maps in a mod directory, only the vanilla maps. You'll still need to add the new maps either through Paths or by manually editing the MapEdit.dat file on /settings

How do you do it through Paths? I always edit the MapEdit.dat. Is there another, hopefully better way?

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2016, 06:54:40 pm »
Can you be a bit more specific on the actual how-to ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2016, 07:21:35 pm »
Can you be a bit more specific on the actual how-to ?

Sure.

First, you need a new empty map. Unfortunately, MapView won't let you create an empty file, you have to go and copy some old .map file, then rename it to the new name.
For example take a Supply Ship map - it's called UFO_170.MAP. Rename the copied file to something else, like for example MYFIRSTUFO.MAP.

Then, make sure that your Images.dat contains all terrain you want to use (files in the TERRAIN folder). If it's X-Com 1, put it in the section starting with ${ufoImg}:${ufo}\TERRAIN\. If it's TFTD, put it in the section starting with ${tftdImg}:${tftd}\TERRAIN\.
Let's assume you are going to use tilesets: TERRAIN1, TERRAIN2 and TERRAIN3. (Each of them is contained in three different files of the same name: .mcd, .pck and .tab.) If they're not in the Images.dat, under the right section, add them:

Code: [Select]
TERRAIN1{ufoImg}
TERRAIN2{ufoImg}
TERRAIN3{ufoImg}

Then open MapEdit.dat. Let's say you want to make a new UFO (as opposed to a terrain). Find this line:

Tileset:UFO - Ships
type:1
rootpath:${varPath3}
rmpPath:${varPath4}
blankPath:${varPath5}
palette:ufo-battle

This starts the section for UFOs (and crafts too). Put your new entry here. It should look like this:

MYFIRSTUFO:TERRAIN1 TERRAIN2 TERRAIN3

Now start up MapEdit - your map is ready for work! Well of course it contains the Supply Ship, so you'll have to remove all the tiles.

These are the most basic basics I could think of. Try it, experiment a little, ask questions.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2016, 03:43:02 pm »
Unfortunately, MapView won't let you create an empty file, you have to go and copy some old .map file, then rename it to the new name.

I have big news for you :D

To create empty maps:
* Navigate to Edit -> Paths -> Map Files
* Click on + to open the Group you want (UFO Ships, UFO Terrains)
* Select the Subgroup with left click, then right click and choose Add Map -> New Map (or you can select several already existing maps)
* Afterwards you be prompted for the map name and dimensions
* Finally, you'll need to assign some MCD files (Images) to start putting map elements on the map itself, so click on the map you created and assign some images to it

If you just imported a whole terrain with several maps it's easier to add all maps using the steps above except for the last and manually add the corresponding Image entries to Images.dat and MapEdit.dat (which can be found on /settings), as Solarius has described on his post
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:47:24 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2016, 07:18:29 pm »
To create empty maps:
* Navigate to Edit -> Paths -> Map Files
* Click on + to open the Group you want (UFO Ships, UFO Terrains)
* Select the Subgroup with left click, then right click and choose Add Map -> New Map (or you can select several already existing maps)
* Afterwards you be prompted for the map name and dimensions
* Finally, you'll need to assign some MCD files (Images) to start putting map elements on the map itself, so click on the map you created and assign some images to it

What can I say? Neato! :)

If you just imported a whole terrain with several maps it's easier to add all maps using the steps above except for the last and manually add the corresponding Image entries to Images.dat and MapEdit.dat (which can be found on /settings), as Solarius has described on his post

Yes, that's how I do it too, but I wanted to show our beginner the simplest way.S/he will discover more later.

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2016, 08:13:27 pm »
Thanks for the help, guys.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2016, 08:45:51 am »
I started working on bigger maps, sizes 40*40*8 and bigger.
What i notice is i am constantly couting tiles to find proper positions.

In this regard I suggest two badly needed improvements:
1.) Show the actual position of the mousecursor while either on top view, route view and grapghic view. Just seeing the current position in a format like : 2:5:6 - x:y:z would be a great help. Startcount zero.

2.) Grid with cootdinate numbers drawn. Or draw 10*10 blocks to make positions more visible.

Maybe i find time to add some pictures.

Offline REDACTED_KUN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2016, 05:22:37 pm »
I think it's best that everyone can fix the bugs/glitches with Large Scout and other maps.

That's what my problem is with looking around with the Large Scout map.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4842.0.html

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2017, 11:57:20 pm »
I have a problem with a faulty node. It is outside the map boundaries:

"Bad node in RMP file: ROUTES/VES_170.RMP Node #0 is outside map boundaries at X:0 Y:13 Z:2. Culling Node."

This log output is correct; the map is 10x20, which puts 13 outside of it.

However, even if I enlarge the map to 20x20, it's still not showing up correctly:

To make things funnier, the offending node is on level 2 (third from the bottom), while the picture above is from level 1. Actual level 2 shows nothing suspicious:

So I have no idea where that node is and I can't delete/fix it.

Please explain what I can do about it (other than deleting .RMP and starting from scratch). Can it be done through MapView? Maybe I can delete it with some hex editor or something?

Attaching the problematic map, with terrain. Tileset order is: U_EXT02, U_WALL02, U_OPER2, U_BITS.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2017, 03:18:58 pm »
On the first image you posted there's a node that has a link to apparently nowhere. That 'nowhere' should be the bad node.

Add extra levels both below and above that level until you can see the bad node. At least that how's I usually fix those issues

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2017, 04:07:04 pm »
On the first image you posted there's a node that has a link to apparently nowhere. That 'nowhere' should be the bad node.

Add extra levels both below and above that level until you can see the bad node. At least that how's I usually fix those issues

That's exactly what I did, and I still couldn't see the node (even though I should).

But Dioxine helped me resolve this issue. Apparently all you have to do is: enlarge the map, save, reopen; the faulty node is now visible.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2017, 05:57:40 pm »
But Dioxine helped me resolve this issue. Apparently all you have to do is: enlarge the map, save, reopen; the faulty node is now visible.

Yeah, that is needed as well. But in case you've added levels above 0 and still can't find the node, try adding levels below 0 - IIRC that's what was happening one time I had this issue.