aliens

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION]Expanding the Interceptor's Functionality?  (Read 5941 times)

Offline SeanEBlog

• Sergeant
  • https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1266.0
    • View Profile
[DISCUSSION]Expanding the Interceptor's Functionality?
« on: June 15, 2013, 04:27:18 am »
One of the fun things about XcomUtil is that it gave solider capacity to all five craft. But it had to work with the graphics that already existed. The interceptor's map block was just a stubby skyranger with a secondary engine group under the wings. I've lately been wanting to try hand at making detailed isometric graphics and I'm looking at making an actual map block for the interceptor but I'm going to want some more information before undertaking such a task.

-First of all, I don't know any of the rules I have to follow to make a functional map block.
-I want this map block to reasonably match the graphic used on the UFOpedia entry.
-I've always wanted to justify soldiers on the interceptor by cramming them into the craft's internal maintenance bay, which is placed between the engines for easy access to internal mechanisms or whatever.
-I've gone ahead and map a rough tile map using the UFOpedia graphic.

It looks like the interceptor is going to have an area of 10x7. And unlike the skyranger, it looks like the Interceptor going to need a unique tile for each and every top piece. Assuming I don't botch the initial silhouette, I think it's going to need 40 of them.
-I have considered giving the interceptor a ramp. However, I've noticed that one of the plates on top of the interceptor looks like a hatch.  So instead, I've decided that interceptor so have an elevator tile and that soldiers should egress the interceptor as depicted in the animated intro of the game. (The elevator also connects to the ground so they can come back in.)
-The "maintenance bay" I have in mind is one column of 4 tiles, and therefore can't hold a tank.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Volutar

Re: [DISCUSSION]Expanding the Interceptor's Functionality?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:09:19 am »
Interceptor can handle only 1 or 2 people - pilots, which are in cockpit. Ramp is absolutely unnecessary. Though this tileset would be handy for making base defence more natural, when Hangars won't be empty, but hold appropriate craft. For the moment it's not really possible due to lack of interceptor's tileset.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 08:38:07 am »
I think three in addition to the pilot is really too much. I can imagine going for "pilot + co-pilot", with a high chance of the plane being lost if both are killed/incapacitated. a fighter plane is basically an aerodynamically shaped engine, with every free space being stuffed with avionics, fuel etc. no space wasted.

what I could imagine, though, is an advanced version of the interceptor, after you research alien alloys :)

Offline SeanEBlog

• Sergeant
  • https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1266.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:06:15 am »
a fighter plane is basically an aerodynamically shaped engine, with every free space being stuffed with avionics, fuel etc. no space wasted.

Tell me, where exactly is the fuel on the Skyranger located? And which vehicle is capable of staying in the air longer?

Also, still need to know the rules that I have to follow in order to make this.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:45:52 am by SeanEBlog »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:19:10 pm »
I think you should probably take a look at https://openxcommods.weebly.com/mcdadd.html and perhaps contact luke83. his experience from making modified UFOs should help you create an Interceptor MCD.

as for your question about where the skyranger's fuel is located, to me that is irrelevant. the skyranger is a transport craft by design. the interceptor is a fighter craft. transport craft are designed to have open spaces for stuff and people, fighter craft are not.

that's why I think having a fighter craft that has enough empty space inside for three additional people is highly unlikely. unlikely enough for me to not like it  ;)

I can live with pilot & co-pilot. perhaps even pilot, gunner and extra techie for an upgraded, modernized conventional fighter made from alien alloys, being more sturdy with lighter weight, allowing for a bigger cockpit.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 03:50:29 am »
I always thought it was relatively obvious they abstracted out the engine etc... in the skyranger design to make the sprite smaller. Doing the same thing in an interceptor isn't going to make it any less comical to have it carrying more than 2 people. :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 05:48:27 pm »
I think it rather complicated to try and add space for transporting personnel.

I think at most a fighter craft can carry at most 2 individuals pilot and co-pilot, and like someone mentioned maybe a gunner that could sit on a turret, but for crafts that go far beyond mach-1 is a rather difficult proposition :D

of course the tarnsport-fighter, is basically a transport with upgraded weapons and hull but basically still a transport.