aliens

Author Topic: [WEAPON] Daichi Blade  (Read 44403 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [WEAPON] Daichi Blade
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 04:42:49 pm »
Needs more cowbell.... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-p9sTpS9k

-HH

I like it, and tweaked it! :)

Ivan's version of the knife with the new melee mechanics discussed in further detail above, and a new hitsound included is in the attached zipfile.
Also sound file is attached.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2014, 02:09:49 am »
Since you are updating the mod: Would you consider using a spritesheet for the handobs? Under Linux, OpenXCom mixes up single files and the graphics end up being all screwed up.

I have attached a sheet (made with Falko's tool) and here is the code I use for it:

Code: [Select]
  - type: HANDOB.PCK
    height: 40
    width: 256
    subX: 32
    subY: 40
    files:
      128: Resources/CombatKnife/HandCombatKnife.png

Thanks!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2014, 04:01:18 am »
Thanks Arthanor!  (I didn't really consider myself the custodian of the knife mod, but I'll happily help out!)

I updated the zip file with the spritesheet and modded the rules as you suggest and commented out the previous sprite.  I left the old handobs in, but it should work fine. :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2014, 06:56:17 am »
First one to zip it gets it ;)

I'm glad I could contribute. I've been going through many a mod and making spritesheets out of the images since I'm on linux and get everything jumbled up otherwise, so it makes sense to share.

Thanks for your work on the mod! I quite like the addition of the new sound, otherwise it lets you wonder what's up with that sectoid not going down. (Turns out the rookie is being his normal self.. Can't hit anything with a gun, can't with a knife either! Thank god for the stunrod, the only rookie-proof weapon!)

On a side note: do you know if using a stunrod raises melee skill? I would think yes, since it's a melee weapon. But at the same time, since you always hit, there's nothing to learn from using it...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2014, 07:04:23 am »
On a side note: do you know if using a stunrod raises melee skill? I would think yes, since it's a melee weapon. But at the same time, since you always hit, there's nothing to learn from using it...

Its a great question, and I would assume, yes.  Edit:  I did just check my LP save game, and Konhead stunned an engineer and did improve his Melee one point!

And yeah, I like the addition of the hit or strike sound too.  I think it really helps. ;)  I have taken to putting "K" after the names of my soldiers with good melee skill!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 07:16:47 pm »
For the sake of exchanging thoughts, there are many possible philosophies for using the knife. What I did in the Final Mod Pack is to give it the following stats.
Speed: flat 10 TUs. While firearms have their mechanics that prevent them from firing too fast, most hand weapons do work faster for faster (more nimble) soldiers.
Damage: 40, no Strength added. A knife isn't really much deadlier when wielded by a bodybuilder than an 8-year old girl (at least in terms of damage).
Accuracy: 100. Which is pretty low for a human (20% - 40% chance to hit for a beginner), but it's offset by fast attacks.

Note that the FMP also has long blade weapons (sword-lookalikes). They have exactly the same stats, except they are a bit slower (15 TUs I think - can't remember exactly), a bit more accurate due to their reach (130% or so) and last but not least they add the user's Strength to their damage, so they're actually much stronger than knives.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2014, 07:29:56 pm »
I know the engine isn't capable, but it would be great if angle of attack was able to scale more against the target.   I.e. an attack from the back, (slitting the sentry's throat) would be more deadly or a higher chance to hit, than standing in front and lunging.   The current armor setup, somewhat accounts for that, but not completely. :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2014, 08:47:06 pm »
@ Solarius:

In the context of unarmored targets, I would agree with you. But in XCom, pretty much everyone but civilians are wearing some kind of armor.. Wouldn't pushing a knife through armor require some kind of strength? I would picture a body builder being better at pushing his knife through a resistant material than a little girl.

I agree that applying strength makes more sense for swords and other larger weapons. I would be nice if you could have a "strength modifier" that allows you to add a fraction of the strength to the weapon only. A knife could then be better for a weak soldier (higher base damage, lower modifier), but a sword for a strong one (lower base, higher modifier).

@ivandogovich:
Adding a "facing modifier" to weapons would be a great idea. Something like:

facing modifier: 1.25

Adds 25% damage if you attack on the side
Adds 56% damage (1.25*1.25 = 1.5625) if you attack from the back.

TL;DR: Modifiers for everything!! ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2014, 01:12:05 am »
I agree that applying strength makes more sense for swords and other larger weapons. I would be nice if you could have a "strength modifier" that allows you to add a fraction of the strength to the weapon only. A knife could then be better for a weak soldier (higher base damage, lower modifier), but a sword for a strong one (lower base, higher modifier).

It's only implemented in OXCom Extended. In normal OXCom we have to do with what we have, and 50 points of damage bonus that separates weakest soldier from the strongest one makes a world of difference :)

And indeed, the sword has a lower base but uses the modifier.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2014, 09:14:03 am »
So that's there in OXCom Extended? Nifty! I hope some of these make it into OpenXCom as well!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 04:06:36 am »
Here's clip from the latest episode with the new Knife Slice Sound. (More Cowbell ;) )

https://youtu.be/6i__OhKhzt8?t=13m47s  

Offline pWWWa

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2015, 03:03:03 pm »
Hi there. I`ve added unique melee hit animation (3 variants) "slightly" converted from UFO2k to Combat Knife Mod.

Any suggestions ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:07:12 pm by pWWWa »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2015, 06:32:30 pm »
ohh, i like the hit animation.

Offline pWWWa

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2015, 06:47:40 am »
Alternate BigOb sprite and hit animation.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2015, 01:30:24 pm »
Damn that looks awesome. Do you mind me using it?