aliens

Author Topic: OXC RPG  (Read 4781 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
OXC RPG
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:08:14 pm »
Just a random thought , really not worthy for the SUGGESTIONS section, this is a offshoot from my thoughts on finishing the Doom mod and creating a mini campaign , now i am wondering if anyone ever has any interest in creating a OXC-RPG similar to the classic Fallout tactics ( plus older Fallout games). I was thinking maybe a story about a Mutant that escapes a alien Lab and trying to battle his way home  in a world that hates Aliens  ( talent writers are encouraged to apply  :P ). Small party max ( like 6 people), differnt storys , skills, objectives etc.

Just thinking , we have all the original game Graphics so that's a start, any new resources  would be compatible with normal OXC mapsets ( RPG to have set level layouts not the random Generation), you would want a real time/ turn base switch like Apocalypse had plus some small squad grouping rules ( also beneficial to OXC long term), plus we get to expand the Classic X-com story.

Peoples thoughts???

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OXC RPG
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »
real time is impossible in OXC (you will need rewrite battlescape form scratch to made it work).

skill on other hand could blend well with standard OXC, every standard behavior can be some kind of skill.
It could allow simple scripts that could add custom behavior, great tool form modding.
This will require lot of work, but it will probably worth it.

Offline AMX

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: OXC RPG
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:15:07 pm »
Well, FWIW, I did consider an X-Com spinoff RPG, back when TFTD was new and I had no programming experience at all.

The basic ideas, as far as I remember them:
-Entirely separate continuity, with aliens refluffed to match
-Sandbox-y, with randomly generated locations and events; never got around to deciding whether there should be a pre-written main plot, or a set of victory conditions
-Interface would have been fundamentally similar to the original, but with a number of more or less obvious changes (such as a dialogue system in the battlescape)