Author Topic: Video capture and OpenXcom?  (Read 7626 times)

Offline obsidian_razor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Video capture and OpenXcom?
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to do some video capture of my OpenXcom game, however, none of my video capturing programs seems to work with it...

I've tried FRAPS, MSI Afterburner and one called Ezvid.
They work fine with other games but with OpenXcom they don't even run, it's very weird.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks!

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Video capture and OpenXcom?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:52:23 pm »
maybe turn on openGL effects, and try again? Most of this programs was designed to capture 3D games.

Offline localSol

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »
I just tested Dxtory with Openxcom latest, while using the 'Openxcom' OpenGL filter. It seems to work really well, besides the frame counter being garbled, just a minor thing. I haven't used other capture software, but Dxtory has worked extremely well for me with plenty of games. The demo version is generous, has tons of options available to play with and the registered version is way more than worth the price!
Check it out here : Dxtory : https://dxtory.com/v2-download-en.html

I use Lagarith lossless codec, : https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html
it uses much less CPU than xvid (important for other 3d games), much more disk space, but less than Dxtory's own codec which is also lossless and has several settings. I use Lagarith YV12 mode which is practically lossless but uses less disk space than RGB options. Then I convert and do basic editing in windows movie maker. Windows movie maker's WMV format (lossy) reduces the movie size to a fraction of lagarith's. There are probably newer and better formats but I don't have the software for that. WMV looks very good with a limited amount of colo(u)r banding in situations where there is a very wide range of colo(u)rs used in a single frame. It doesn't have 'blockyness' problems , which is an allowance for its filesizes since they are much bigger than xvid's maximum quality. So the codecs that take more CPU might be better suited for openxcom which doesn't need a lot of CPU power. Your experience may vary, I haven't tried any other codecs yet.

All of this keeps in mind that I am by no means an expert on this stuff.
Get the legit Dxtory, for the sake of the programmer who put so much sweat and tears into it. They have updates pretty often too.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:20:22 pm »
I use OBS (Open Broadcast Software) and it works well with OXC

Offline localSol

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:10:11 am »
I use OBS (Open Broadcast Software) and it works well with OXC
Wow, direct streaming to different services too. I'll give it a try.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:09:45 am »
https://obsproject.com/

can't support the open source community enough.

Offline obsidian_razor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:08:47 am »
Thanks guys!

I have downloaded those programs.

I can't seem to get OBS to run, I'll try Dxtory shortly :)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:13:15 am »
OBS is very simple, you need to create a scene and set it up to be able to record, once you create a scene, then you create a source, if you have OXC open or whatever window you want to record, you can set it, or you can set the whole screen. always try out your stream with "preview stream" this is what i use for my live play (which by the way i have neglected :( )