aliens

Author Topic: SFML instead of SDL?  (Read 6366 times)

Offline luciderous

• Colonel
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
SFML instead of SDL?
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:28:32 pm »
Has anyone given a thought to any benefits a switch from SDL to SFML might bring in the long run? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a possibility to avoid the dependency mishmash we have with SDL-based libraries, since SFML seems to support all the needed functionality (https://www.sfml-dev.org/features.php) in a one neat package. However, it's not a suggestion per se, since such a work would require a lot of effort on SupSuper's and Daiky's side, but a topic to discuss nevertheless.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: SFML instead of SDL?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:31:17 pm »
A lot of alternate engines/libraries/etc have been discussed before, specially in the IRC chat. SFML, Allegro, raw OpenGL, etc. It's those kind of discussions that developers just love! :P

But for now we'll leave things as it is, this early on I'd rather spend what little time I have working on the game part of the game and not learning/trying every other library in town.

Volutar

Re: SFML instead of SDL?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:39:58 pm »
Wise decision. Gameplay and all algorighms are crucial at the moment, and probably later on. Switching to other graphics or sound or whatever engine won't be a problem when all game parts will be in place and working at 100%. But code should be written in a manner implying further changes.